Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering about the need to have a "right" helical or "left" helical on my arrows.

One friend told me that it must be a right helical because of my position in the N. Hemisphere.

Another says "Hogwash...it doesnt matter"

I can see the validity in their individual logic and arguments. but I thought..."Why not ask the best?!"

Be gentle, I really don't understand theoretical physics, But i do understand basic physics, although my college transcripts say different!:D A technical explanation is welcomed!

Thanks
PB

D

·
0 Posts
PASTOR BRIAN...

...I'd say it has more to do with shooting right or left handed...finger shooters and string "torque"...or the distance shot and stabilization required by the arrow for the given distance...

...I'd be interested in seeing some facts or "footage" showing the difference between right or left helical or "straight" and distance...

...good question...

...you've taken the picture...lets see what develops:cool: ...

>>>---DD--->;)

PS...learning in college is like paper tuning...much over rated...I think Einstein dropped out before high school didn't he??:D ...

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
PB

Good post.
I've tried them all, left, right, straight, offset... I can still miss the target, although... I like a offset on mine to help fix what a mess up at release.
If it's for shooting broadheads... then the helical and more vane is probably better to guide the arrow.
My thoughts only..... WR

·
Registered
542 Posts
Left or Right Wing makes no difference in flight. There is a Left and Right Wing because birds (Turkeys) have a left and right wing. Helical Fletch gives you a more stable arrow especially with a Broadhead. But as long as you have some off set it will control the Broadhead.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
It does not matter as much with what hemisphere you are in as it does the position of the earth in relation to the sun. There is a very complicated formula to figure this out. It changes almost every season from straight, to right, to left helicle. Actually an archer that works for NASA came up with the formula a few years ago. This is something pretty knew and is still being tested. Maybe someone here can post it. And yes, people on the southern hemisphere do the opposite as the north so when archers from countries as australia come to europe or the US, they have to re-fletch thier arrows. The point is that the earth will have your arrow turning one way and your helicle can be turning the other way causinbg poor flight. It is ideal to have both going in the same direction.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
******NOTE: I WAS ONLY JOKING IN MY PREVIOUS POST! LMAO

The things people will believe. :) As far as we know, archery has nothing to to with planitary alignment or anything of that sort. For compound archers left or right helicle is personal preference.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Well, Brad should be in the fertilizer business after that spread!!:D

If you shoot feathers then the natural twist of the right wing or left wing dictates which clamp to use. With vanes it is your preference. It will not make a difference if it is going left or right as long as you can rotate the nok and adjust the amount of "twist" in your fletcher to clear the rest.

Unless you shoot broadheads that require 5 inch vanes or feather with radical helical twist, it is better to use shorter vanes or feathers with the offset straight. This is because you want to avoid rest contact.

If you want a radical looking arrow that flies with some extra steering from a straight/offset, try this fletch: 1) put an amount of offset into the jig that you know will clear. 2) mark three positions on the clamp, one normally where you place the back of your feather/vane, a second 1/4 inch forward from that mark and the third 1/2 inch forward from that first mark. Place the cock vane/feather in the clamp in the normal marked position and glue to shaft. Rotate the jig and place the next vane/feather in the clamp in the 1/4" position at the rear of the vane/feather, glue and rotate. Do the same to the 1/2 inch marking.

Odd looking but I have tried them and found that I could get great vane to rest clearance and more stabilization than with the offset alone.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I understand the concept of helical to stabilize arrow flight and I realize the essential element of broadhead flight,

I even realize the truth of Right vs. Left hand finger release (string torque etc...)

The next question is...as long as it stabilizes, does it matter which way it spins?

I feel a little childish asking, but do things really spin clockwise in the N. hemisphere and Counterclockwise in the S. Hemisphere?

Are we trying to oppose gravitational pull?

Why do we drive on a parkway and park on a driveway?

PB

·
Registered
90 Posts
right/left helical?

ok, i'll give this a shot... i have heard that if your are right handed, and shoot with left helical, the field tip or point will come loose at impact. right helical will or should tighten tip on impact. right helical spins arrow clockwise--left helical spins the arrow counter-clockwise. thus, the concept of the well known phrase: righty-tighty--lefty-loosey (something like that).
IMHO, as far as accurarcy, there is no difference.
they will just spin different, but still get there the same.
i may be wrong, but then again i may be right! :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts