Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
X10 is not a hunting shaft. There is no broadheads that will fit it.
Why do bows cost as much as they do? The cost of running producing a bow is only part of the cost. Just to put it in perspective, the cost of placing a 1/4 page add in a smaller Bowhunting Mag can run in excess of $5000/issue. In larger magazines the costs can be much much higher than that. How many bowhunting mags do you see? 20-30+...and most bowcompanys have at least 1/4 page, sometimes more in each issue. Other costs that drive up the price are liability insurance(huge $$$$$ for a bow company). Design work...engineers dont work cheap.
I remember when I got into archery 10 years ago, you could pay upwards of $600+ for a bow that now would sell for $300. Most bow companys have several price points in their lineup so that anyone should be able to find a bow that suits their budget.
IN any industry there is high end product and cheaper product.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
X10 ain't a hunting shaft in any way at all. Hell, it's only just possible to fit a broadhead to an ACE 370, an X10 is simply an impossibility because there's no inserts for points.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
i'm also into cycling pretty deep. a high quality road frame (just the frame with no other hardware on it like handlebars, wheels, shifters, etc.) weighs between 2 to 3 lb. and costs between $1000 to $4000 dollars. i'm sure it's the same in all other sports.

just remember, for the most part, you get what you pay for.

·
Banned
1,109 Posts
BOWS

THE PART THAT GETS ME IS YOU FORK OUT ALOT OF MONEY FOR ARCHERY ,BUT THEN YOU HAVE TROUBLE SELLING IT FOR HALF THAT.i CAN'T EVEN GET MY MACH 8 SOLD FOR $180 !! OR MY tHUNDER BOLT FOR $200 !

·
Banned
2,346 Posts
it is true that some companies rip you off like hoyt, with those really expencive bows. but martin is a company that is not out there to rip you off. they have offordable prices and i bet when they come out with the new bows they will not be that much money, these will be reasonable prices too!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Is that so Archery1?

The last time I checked Martinbows where about 20% more expensive than the Hoyts, and thus by far the most overpriced bows over here.

·
Registered
713 Posts
octopus

When was the last time Hoyt was ever able to meet their delivery dates and still produce a quality bow?

By my recent experiances, I know Martin can do it.

By taking those factors in to play, ask your self are Martins worth more than a Hoyt?

IMO yes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
plainsman

You are right.

I just had to post something to see if my settings worked.
The only quick reply that I could give was this one.

In fact I do not care about what others gain for their living, as some seem to do.

It is however true service and quality is what the archers may demand for the price they pay.

I'm shooting a Hoyt Ultratec and up untill now I cannot complain about the delivery nor the service and above all the bow preforms absolutely perfect!

Good shooting

·
I'd rather be hunting!
1,902 Posts
Hey you get what you pay for! And if you've got 5 grand in a bow then it damn well better shoot good!
I've got about $5000 in a new Honda Rancher 4X4 ES.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Ask any left handed arhcer who ordered a Scepter3 this year how long they waited. Long wait times were prevalent with many companies this year.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Octopus

have you ever priced a Bowman Bow. The Bowman makes the Martin or the Hoyt seem cheap but, for what I get in the Bowman it is well worth the money.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Martin bows are outrageously priced if you want a target colored bow. I think it is over $250 for a bow to be outfitted with target colors over camo. You can't tell me that anodizing handles cost that much more than film dipping them.

A high end bow may cost a pretty penny, but you can shoot it and still be competitive for 10 years if you really want to be. But it is disgusting how they drop in value by about half after they are a year old. Almost makes you feel stupid for paying top dollar when they are new.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Archery1 I think that is the dumbest thing I haver ever heard you say. Why don't you take a poll and see if Hoyt owners feel they have been ripped off? Seems to me the only people I hear complaining about Hoyt most of time are people not shooting a Hoyt? I own 3 Hoyts right now and 1 Martin. I have zero complaints about any of the Hoyts I currently own. I have a Protec with Spiral cams a Supertec and a Ultratec with Cam & 1/2.
The Martin is a Cougar III Fury X no complaints there either. I did not have any problems getting a bow this year except for the Ultratec. Took about 45 days to come in after I placed the order. Do I think I got ripped off heck no, I could not be happier with that bow. By the way it was a target color. Just about everyone knows Hoyt came out with the new cam & 1/2 system this year. Did they expect to sell as many bows as they did, no. Did it cause delays, yes. That does not mean they are out to ripp anyone off. Just means they could not keep up with the demand for bows they supplied. Also Hoyt had 2003 bows out in the publics hands in Oct. of 2002, Mathews 2003's did not get their 2003's out till after the A.M.O. show. Just like every year. That is like a 5 month differance. You might want to ask some top field & fita or even some 3-D shooters if they feel like they were ripped off by Hoyt this year. Let's See you have Dave Cousins, Eric Griggs,Michael Braden,Tony Tazza,Nathan Brooks, Bobby Ketcher,Randy Hendricks,Chance Boebeuoffe,(Sorry Chance on the spell.) Randy Ulmer,Clint Freeman, Chris White, Dejan Sitar, and last but not least Mary Zorn who is setting records left and right. Just to name a few. Hoyt is in buisness to make money just like every other bow company out there. Do they put out junk? I think not. I have been in archery for over 20 years and been thru most of the companys. I always go back to Hoyt Why? Because they make a first class product that is dependable, fits the purpose I need it for and they stand behind there product. Do you think The worlds most elite archers would be using there stuff if it was junk? Hoyt has always been a top dog for the 20+ years I have been in archery. Ask your self why? Oh and I forgot to mention most of the Olympic shooters thru out the world, I would say 75% are Hoyt shooters. Look real hard, most of the prices I have seen on all bows this year are priced pretty close to each other. Top end bow vs. Top end bow from 1 company to the next.
The major price differance I have seen seems to be local pro shops and the location they are in. ie. metropalotin vs. the country. Higher cost of living ares thru out the country command higher prices. dealers ask what they think customers will accept to pay for that area. Call around some different shops around the country ask for a price on the same bow. You are going to get a varriety of prices. Again depends on the area you are in and the cost of living in that area.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I wish I could afford a new bow every year but with 4 kids that is not a reality. I've been shooting about 30 years and always got a new bow about every 4 years. Now with E-bay and the classifieds from a couple sights such as this, I am able to buy an "old" last years model bow every year or so for half price. I can usualy sell my 2 year old bow for pretty close to what I paid for it. I'm looking foward to spring when those "old" cam and a half UltraTecs with XT3000 limbs start showing up in force

·
Registered
852 Posts
I think that any of the big 4(Mathews, Hoyt, Martin, PSE) ALL are priced pretty closely to one another when it comes to their high end stuff... I've gotta laugh when I hear someone talk about this one or that one being "overpriced", because from what I've seen, they ALL cost about the same, unless it's one of the "new guys" still trying to get their foot in the door - and watch THEM when they gain some market share - their prices will jump right up there, too!!! I think that ALL the high-end bows are over-priced to an extent, but here's something to consider: Today's bows are better made than EVER, and are made(and typically warranteed) for a lifetime of quality, trouble free, SAFE shooting... Think about the bows of just 7 years ago - compared to the advances of today's bows, it's night and day...

I don't think Hoyt is "ripping anyone off", BTW - they build a fine bow, and have really come up with a winner this year...

Mathews DO seem to hold a good resale value, though - I shot an Ultra Max for 2 or 3 seasons, paid $550 for it new, and sold it in 1 week for $400, (bare bow) - to me, that's not bad...

- georgestrings

·
Banned
1,109 Posts
I like to look for good deals.I usually pick up bows that are a year old because you can get a fair price on them.I enjoy paying $200 for a bow that someone payed $600 for a year earlier.The retail prices on top end bows is riciculous and guess what for $200 I get the SAME bow they did for $600 ,not outdated and still like new ! My OLD Mach 8 outperforms many of the new models I have tried so heck maybe I will just stick with it.It may be a little heavier and a little longer but thats ok,it puts those carbon evolutions down range FAST! :D

·
Banned
1,109 Posts
Well said, Shoes. I totally agree

1 - 20 of 21 Posts