Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I consider myself still a greenhorn at archery and hunt for tips online, I couldn't find much information on building a good stance when shooting, is there only one way? I know some people stand with their feet close together and others far apart. Which way do you want your body facing?

·
(aka lug nut)
48,328 Posts
I consider myself still a greenhorn at archery and hunt for tips online, I couldn't find much information on building a good stance when shooting, is there only one way? I know some people stand with their feet close together and others far apart. Which way do you want your body facing?
Experiment and find what works for you.

field14 posted an exercise a while back.

If you have access to an indoor range,
pick a target lane somewhere in the center.

Load an arrow. Stand in your USUAL foot position,
and get to full draw and anchor.

Now,
at full draw and anchor,
CLOSE YOUR EYES and do a SLOOOOW count to three,
and fire with your eyes closed.

Repeat for a total of 5 arrows.

Get to full draw, and anchor with EYES OPEN.
Once at anchor, CLOSE the eyes,
and do a SLOOW 3 count,
and fire with eyes closed.

What happens, is after several arrows,
your body relaxes during the slooooow three count,
and you will find that your upper body MIGHT
swing in a certain direction.

Some folks I have worked with,
when they RELAX,
have a natural tendency to want to rotate their upper body
counter-clockwise,
and their arrows start grouping off to the LEFT of the target.

IF this is you,
then,
pick a new foot position,
so that your upper body is rotated a bit MORE CLOCKWISE
than "normal".

REpeat the exercise
with the NEW foot position,
for say 4 rounds of 5 arrows (total of 20 arrows).

Eventually,
you will find a foot position/stance
that works for you
and you do not have to fight
your upper body's natural "twisting angle".

·
Registered
50,358 Posts
I have found for the majority of people, if you stand with your feet shoulder width apart with the right foot slightly ahead of the left(for right handers) and parallel with the target that is a good starting point. But each person is different and you do what works for you.

·
Banned
3,502 Posts
I have found for the majority of people, if you stand with your feet shoulder width apart with the right foot slightly ahead of the left(for right handers) and parallel with the target that is a good starting point. But each person is different and you do what works for you.

This is what we teach in NASP as well...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies! I did notice last night after shooting my bow that when I would come to full draw, I kept moving my feet to get comfortable. I watched where my feet would end up at and then try and draw at that same spot. It feels a lot better but I didn't know if there was a "right way" to have the feet. I hear people say that guy has a "good stance," but if it doesn't feel comfortable then why be in it?!!! Thanks again.

·
Socket Man
23,756 Posts
Do yourself a favor and get a book like bernies idiot proof archery, it will save you from starting bad habits and then having to break them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think that is exactly what I need! I hate trying to teach myself and not know whats right and wrong. And like you said trying to break bad habits! Thanks!

·
Registered
50,358 Posts
Let me add that balance is very important. If you have too much weight on one foot over the other you are out of balance. Placing your feet together IMHO is poor balance----kind of like standing on one leg.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts