Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· One crazy Mutant ;)
9,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning everyone I had a nice package this morning in the mail from Lost Nation Archery.
My new Ragim Impala T/D recurve bow 50# 60" & a few other accessories.

For the price this bow is really nice, the risor has some nice lines with it & the red accent made into the lamination is a nice touch, the risor without anything against the wood is near perfect center cut with just a slight left of center & the shelf is nicely radiused making this seem to be ready for off the shelf shooting like I do "Larry did a nice job installing the felt on the shelf & side."

The bottom limb has the Ragim Impala info on it's back along with 2 markings for weight & length 28" 50# 62" & 50# 60" after some measuring for my records it is deffinitly a 60" bow & the actual draw weight is 52# @ 28" but drawing it to shoot isn't bad with a relatively smooth draw to my anchor point.

Basic beginning tuning to set 7-1/4" BH & 1/2" nock height & installing some beaver fur silencers made shooting pleasant keeping all my shots at 5 yards within the 4" square but I do note that the string that comes with the bow could be of better construction "quite minor" but to my supprise it does have some decent speed for a relatively inexpensive bow.

Arrow Easton XX78 2114's 29" w/ 150gr. points. 502 grains.
Pro Chrono set at 5 feet = 167 - 172 fps.

I do have some more shooting to do to tune it just right but initially she shoots quite well for me.

· One crazy Mutant ;)
9,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Man when I said that the string could be of better construction I wasn't kidding.

Yesterday I shot about 180 arrows through it & today just a little more "190" & the string stretched so much that it changed the BH by 1/2", but on the good note the Easton 2114's cut to 29" w/ 150gr. points seem to tune really close to where the bare shafts was hitting the same spot as the fletched shafts out to 25 yards.

· Registered
22,128 Posts
Raider -

1/2" stretch is on the far end of the scale for a well made dacron string, but still within reason. Most of those stings are 16 strand and way too thick. You can drop down to a 12 or 14 strand string and pick up some free speed, with no side effects.

Nice review, those have been my findings as well. Humm, first time I've head the Impala shooting well at a 7.25" brace height?

BTW - looks like your form has gotten better too (nice follow-through). Still need to get the bow arm (elbow) a little straighter and stop grabbing the bow!

Viper1 out.

· One crazy Mutant ;)
9,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Raider -

1/2" stretch is on the far end of the scale for a well made dacron string, but still within reason. Most of those stings are 16 strand and way too thick. You can drop down to a 12 or 14 strand string and pick up some free speed, with no side effects.

Nice review, those have been my findings as well. Humm, first time I've head the Impala shooting well at a 7.25" brace height?

BTW - looks like your form has gotten better too (nice follow-through). Still need to get the bow arm (elbow) a little straighter and stop grabbing the bow!

Viper1 out.
Yeah I'm workin on my form nearly every night, I'm determined to get it right & shooting well enough to have the confidence to take it out into the Deer Woods come October.

I just oredered a new Flemish string for it, I'd make one my self but I need to make my jig first.

· One crazy Mutant ;)
9,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Since this bow has a stabilizer stud, I'm thinking of putting on one of my slings to train my self to LET GO, because I think that is part of my problem of why I hold a recurve like I do because there is not anything to prevent it from coming out of my hand.

· Registered
22,128 Posts
Raider -

Since this bow has a stabilizer stud, I'm thinking of putting on one of my slings to train my self to LET GO, because I think that is part of my problem of why I hold a recurve like I do because there is not anything to prevent it from coming out of my hand.
Bingo! And a short hunting stab wouldn't hurt either. Most stickbows have a tendency to tip backward, which is the opposite of what you want. Doesn't have to be anything fancy, a 5/16"x24 bolt loaded with lock washers works pretty well.

Viper1 out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.