Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may be reinventing the wheel here but I was skinning my buck's skull out for a european mount last night. Got it pretty well cleaned off except for removing the brain. Now we all know that brain stinks whether you boil it or whatever. Anyway what I figured out was to chuck up a piece of gun cleaning rod in the cordless drill with a 20 gauge copper brush on the end.
But wait submerge the skull in a five gallon bucket nose down and keeping the brain opening under the surface of the water go to town. In a minute or two you will have brain soup that you can just pour out. May have to do it a couple of times but its fast. that is assuming the kill is pretty fresh if not the brain may have to rehydrate for a while for this to work. Anybody else do this? No mess at all except in the water, but not all over me or anything else.

·
Registered
7,119 Posts
There is an easier way. Using a water hose, nozzle, and a tip made of flexible copper pipe. Stick the end in the brain cavity and hit the trigger. The brain sometime comes out whole.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I like your idea...thanks for sharing. Last one I did I boiled then used a pressure washer. It was messy. I blew boiled brains everywhere. Dog liked it...wife not so much.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I cut & bend a coat hanger then use a cordless drill to whip them up. It looks like strawberries & yogurt when it comes out. A friend of mine tried used the coat hanger/drill trick then used a compressor to clean out the brain. It's amazing how much brain matter can come out the foramen magnum so quickly, it doesn't come off your hair & face any easier than your clothes! He only used his method one time, it was fast though....

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah thats why i like this and keeping it under the water there is nothing blown onto me or anything else

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
I like your idea...thanks for sharing. Last one I did I boiled then used a pressure washer. It was messy. I blew boiled brains everywhere. Dog liked it...wife not so much.
Thats how I do the whole skull, boil 1 hr then pressure wash and its clean, messy but clean

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
There is an easier way. Using a water hose, nozzle, and a tip made of flexible copper pipe. Stick the end in the brain cavity and hit the trigger. The brain sometime comes out whole.
x2 A brain blaster. Pops the brain right out with the water pressure. Don't stand in front of it!

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
My wife looked over my shoulder just now. Then she got grossed out cause I'm eating supper at the computer.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
use maceration next time...let nature run its course, but it is the safest way as to not brittle the bones, plus the brains come out with little grease left over.

·
Registered deer murderer
633 Posts
Thats how I do the whole skull, boil 1 hr then pressure wash and its clean, messy but clean
That's what I do. Boiled brains come out real easy with a pressure washer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts