Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made Foot Stirrups to use with a home made "Tree Seat" (just ordered an Aero Hunter).

I have a 48" Climbing Sling ("Runner") wrapped around the Tree. A Loop of Climbing Webbing tied with a Water Knot works well too but the Knot adds Bulk. I have also used a Daisy Chain around the tree and will get to that....
The Runner is Girth Hitched to a Length of Webbing.
The Webbing has Bowline loops tied into each end.
Then in the Middle there is an Alpine Butterfly Knot which is Girth Hitched to the Runner (or you can Carabiner)

Hunting in it was nice. Then I used them to climb down the tree and then did another Up and Down for practice.

Having two separate Straps going to my feet was much more stable than using one Sling or one Aider.
You can just stand up with your Toes right against the tree...or standing Duck Foot with your Toes pointed out.
Never once felt like I was going to slip to the side.

A more expensive version would be to make it adjustable by using something like an "Easy Daisy" by Metolius.
You can find them for less than $20 if you try. Adjustable with one Hand.
I used an Easy Daisy to attach my Harness to the Tree Strap.

One more thing....
I found that if you use Daisy Chains as your Tree Straps, you can use the Loops on them as Handles to pull yourself up and also to adjust the Straps up or down the tree without risking putting your fingers under them.

Still deciding if I like this as a full-time Tree climbing solution but it definitely makes a great compact backup (like if you dropped your top climbing stick or steps).
And it only weighs ounces so you could keep it in a pocket on a pack. IMG_2572sm.jpg

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Worked well for Resting and Shooting too....You just can't move all around the Tree.
Thinking about making one with four sets of Stirrups (8 Loops) hung on a Ratchet Strap to see if that works at all.

IMG_2559Lean.jpg

·
Catty Shack
12,412 Posts
I assume you're not in your 60's then . . .

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
NO I'm not. I'm 46 and it is a workout.

Thing is with me....tedious work while climbing is kind of harder for me.
I have an EZKut Drill and Bolts for steps and that wears me out just as much.
Difference is that then the Tree is prepped for future use (I hunt on private land) and can be prepped Pre-Season.

I hunt some hard to get to locations where I definitely wouldn't want to be carrying a Climber stand or Sticks if I could get away with out them.
To avoid bedding areas on my way in certain times of day I have to climb a steep hill through thick cover

·
Registered
703 Posts
I made Foot Stirrups to use with a home made "Tree Seat" (just ordered an Aero Hunter).

I have a 48" Climbing Sling ("Runner") wrapped around the Tree. A Loop of Climbing Webbing tied with a Water Knot works well too but the Knot adds Bulk. I have also used a Daisy Chain around the tree and will get to that....
The Runner is Girth Hitched to a Length of Webbing.
The Webbing has Bowline loops tied into each end.
Then in the Middle there is an Alpine Butterfly Knot which is Girth Hitched to the Runner (or you can Carabiner)

Hunting in it was nice. Then I used them to climb down the tree and then did another Up and Down for practice.

Having two separate Straps going to my feet was much more stable than using one Sling or one Aider.
You can just stand up with your Toes right against the tree...or standing Duck Foot with your Toes pointed out.
Never once felt like I was going to slip to the side.

A more expensive version would be to make it adjustable by using something like an "Easy Daisy" by Metolius.
You can find them for less than $20 if you try. Adjustable with one Hand.
I used an Easy Daisy to attach my Harness to the Tree Strap.

One more thing....
I found that if you use Daisy Chains as your Tree Straps, you can use the Loops on them as Handles to pull yourself up and also to adjust the Straps up or down the tree without risking putting your fingers under them.

Still deciding if I like this as a full-time Tree climbing solution but it definitely makes a great compact backup (like if you dropped your top climbing stick or steps).
And it only weighs ounces so you could keep it in a pocket on a pack. View attachment 1830986
Any way you could post a video of how you use this for climbing?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It works just like a Climbing stand...but harder :)

It's a workout but if your Harness fits well it isn't impossible.
If you're a CLIMBER it would be pretty easy . I'm not...but I can do it.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Look up. 'Simple climb' on YouTube. He's only using one loop climbing sling. That's harder than having separate loops for each foot.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Pass lol

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's all relative. I'm sitting in a climber right now. I worked up a sweat getting it here as I had a mile hike and had to climb 300 feet higher than where I parked. Had to climb over and under fallen trees and there was ice....sucked.

But now I'm nice and comfy....

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just to followup....

When you get the technique down and figure out how much to advance at one time (JUST LIKE A CLIMBING STAND...you can't get too 'greedy') it really isn't that hard.
The most "Athletic" thing about it happens when you hang from your harness and tuck your Knees up and reach down to pull the Foot Loop Strap up the Tree.
Then it's as easy as standing up in the loop and advancing your Harness Tree strap up the Tree.
Rinse and Repeat.

I haven't tried it using the Aero Hunter yet, but it will be WAY EASIER than with a Climbing Harness (more comfortable and better balance).
I guess I'll have to make a shorter Bridge for it just for Climbing but that will be easy.

Just as an FYI,
I have Climbing Sticks, an EZ Kut Drill/Tree Bolt Setup, some Screw in Steps and a Climbing Stand so I can compare methods.
Depending upon location, they all have their advantages/disadvantages

·
Registered
217 Posts
Ive been using a single nylon runner to climb with my web. Its not for everyone or every situation but it has got me in some places this year that a climber would not work in. Shortining your bridge and distance from prusic to harness will allow you to make a little more progress with each step up.Its just another tool in the toolbox!

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Rebelfan,

I have a Rope/Prusick tree strap that I got at Bass Pro. It has an Eyelet that serves as a stop knot at the Tail end of the Rope.
I'm thinking that I tether the Footstraps to that Tail to prevent accidentally dropping the Foot Strap down the Tree.
Would suck to be 20' up and lose it :)

I've been keeping a Spare sling in my pack just in case.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts