Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm fairly new to bowhunting. Ive been reading posts on this forum for the last couple of months and I can't believe how much I've learned here.
One thought came to mind though concerning the accuracy of broadheads. From what I've read it is pretty much understood that a good mechanical BH will fly with more accuracy than a fixed blade. I'm basing this somewhat on 5 shot's reviews of the BHs he has tested. In the reviews the mechanicals always score higher when it comes to accuracy. Am I right here 5 shot?
That being said, everyone will always tell you that accuracy, not speed or anything else is what kills game effeciently. Right?
So...If accuracy is what kills, why are alot of hunters still using fixed blades? Is it that there is less chance of mechanical failure? Or that a fixed blade is simply "close enough" for hunting purposes?
Bear in mind that I am talking about hunting white tail deer. I understand that when hunting a larger, tougher animal you would need that durability of a fixed blade head.
With that being said, I'm in a delimma. Season opens in a week. I've got a pack of Muzzy heads that are shooting with my field points. Every now and then I get a wild flyer though, and its almost always the arrow with the practice BH attached. I realize that when this happens it is probably because of something I am doing wrong (like torqing the bow) and the BH on the end emphasizes my fault. This occurance is rare but it does happen. It would make me sick to see my arrow drop under of go over that deer of a lifetime. Because of this, I wonder if I might get even better, tighter groups with some Rocky Mt. Snypers or other mechanical. Whats your opinion on this subject?

Regards,
Jeremy

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Fixed blades penetrated better. Especially low KE setups need the extra help to get complete pass throughs.

That is why I use fixed blades. They shoot as good as my field points out to 30 yards. don't see the need to change and risk the penetration loss.

·
washed up wannabe
12,236 Posts
I shoot fixed because mechanicals are illegal in Alaska for many of the species I hunt. However, I shoot fixed blades out to 70 yards all the time and keep them on a paper plate. Group size is no different for field tips at this distance. There are good fixed BH's and bad ones. Some are good for some bows, and some are not. It can be aggrevating at times, and expensive, to test many types of BH's but you owe it to yourself and the game you hunt to try many types, using what is best for your bow.

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
Fixed blades shot out of a well tuned bow are capable of extreme accuracy. The trick is the bow tuning required to get them to fly "perfectly". I use Muzzy 100 grain heads and they hit about about 1/2"-1" left of my field points at 50 yards. I moved my rest ever so slightly and that was it. (my bow was well tuned to start with). Grouping (consistency) are the key. The broadhead may hit a point slightly different than that of your field tips, but so long as the difference isn't much and you are groups are good (the same as with your field points) then just slightly adjust your rest and/or sights.

Ask Daniel Boone about how accurate fixed blade heads can be. He has been shooting tourneys where that is all they shoot, and these guys post some unbelievable scores. The degree of accuracy you get out of a fixed blade head is directly related to your ability to tune your bow. Therein lies one of the reasons mechanicals are so popular. ;)

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
I prefer fixed bladed broadheads because; I never wonder if they will open, penetrate, loose blades, or any of the other maladies, which sometimes befall mechanicals.

Mechanicals or good also, it is all about personal preference. I prefer not to chance the above-mentioned problems.

Some will say that fixed blades do not fly as well as mechanicals, Ok for some they do not. I find that if my bow is correctly tuned and my arrow matched to the bow and the broadhead, I can shoot equally as well.

My Stinger two blades will fly to the same POI as my field points out to 70 yards; I have never tested them past that point. However, when I do my part they will easily group to less than 6 inches at 60 yards.

Why don’t I use the bleeders? Don’t need them.

I will say this; if I was not completely sold on the Stingers, I would shoot the G5 Montec’s, they fly nearly as well out of my RazorTec as do the Stingers. And I feel that with a little additional tuning they would be just as good.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Another thing to consider is form on the range vs realistic hunting conditions. If you can group fixed heads well on the range, and feel confident that your form durning the hunting shot are similar, then shoot the fixed heads. For me however, I can group fixed heads on the range with no troubles, until I start getting lax in my form, then the groups start the widen. In some of the areas that I hunt, I know there is no way I can replicate practice range type of form, nor do I want to have to even worry about it.

For the above reasons, I shoot mechs, in particular I shoot Rocket Slammerheads, they fly just like practice points, regardless of minute changes in hand-grip position, angle or bow torque. Its just one less thing to think about.

The Rockets have done me well over the past 3 years. One elk, one Bear, and 3 Deer that have all gone P &Y. About 13 does as well. All shots were pass throughs, even the elk, some broadside, some quartering pretty severely.

I was skeptical about mechs at first like everyone else, but I am 100% sold on them after my experiences over the past 3 years.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You guys are making some great points. I know that a fixed blade has less chance of failure and can be tuned to get great groups at long distances. However, I was thinking more along the lines of what *wk* said. In shooting range type conditions the more critical flight of a fixed blade is not so much of a problem. But when I'm 20 feet up with a touch of buck fever that one shot has to be good. Not good, but exceptional for a clean kill. Thank you for making that point *wk*. And thank you all for responding. Your comments are helpful, as always.

Jeremy

·
Registered
83 Posts
Some of us don't have the option of using anything except fixed blade broadheads. Those in Washington State for example.:(

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
As I said to each their own.... the hunting shot is why I practice kneeling, squating, sitting, and walking. I practice shooting from every position I could conceiveably find myself in, given my style of hunting. I practice walking up and down steep trails and stop and shoot without catching my breath, I shoot at infrequent distances.

Yes my shots are less than perfect using this style of practice, but as some have stated that is to simulate the hunting enviroment.

I also find that the better I tune the bow, the more forgiving it is....

The mechanical broadhead will not magically make up for bad form, or a bad shot...

Good hunting... no matter what broadhead you choose, confidence is a large percentage of making a good shot when it counts the most....

·
Registered
74 Posts
Chad,

When you say that it's the arrow with the practice BH that's flying wild do you mean you are shooting fieldpoints and broadheads?

I tuned my bow so that my field points group very close to my Muzzy's. Then I decided that since I bought practice blades, why shoot field points at all.

I would put the field points away.

Number your arrows.

Shoot your Muzzy's w/ practice blades and watch for flyers. If its the same 1 or 2 arrows just take them out of the line up. If its you then SHOOT BETTER. LOL!

Seriously though. I had the same problem. Every once in a while one would fly off a couple inches. Ended up picking 4 that never flew off to carry and practice with.

I do feel they are just a bit more sensitive to form flaws than my field points. That is why I only practice with my BH's this close to bow season. I feel it helps me keep my form tight and as free of flaws as possible.

The last week I've been shooting 1 arrow at my deer target. Then I pull it and move to another spot. I don't worry about grouping. I just want to be able to put 1 arrow in the vitals from any spot with in 30yds.

Been flying very well for me. Good luck and good hunting!
SB

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SeaBass,
Yes, that is what I was doing. I was shooting three arrows. One with a broadhead attached. Whenever I would get a wild one, when I pulled that one from the target, it always ended up being the BH arrow. I tried changing the BH to different arrows. It didn't seem to help. I'll take your advice though, and play with it some more. I'm just cutting it close here with season starting next week.

Thanks,
Chad

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Well as a Rule mechanicals do shoot more accurately under most conditions than most fixed blade heads. That is not to say that fixed blade heads are not accurate. Most when shot out of a properly tuned bow are very accurate. Also most fixed blade heads tend to penetrate better, but again not always. out to 40 yards my field points, mechanical heads head and fixed blade heads all shoot into the same point. now on a windy day the mechanicals are a bit more consistant. This is one reason they score higher in the accuracy dept. bottom line know your kinetic energy level, tune your bow properly and pick a broadhead that will give you the best combination of accuracy, penetration, and tissue damage, that fits your needs and wants. For some that will be a fixed blade head, other will want a mechanical. Then put that head where it belongs and you will get your deer or whatever else your after.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I am going through the same situations right now with my fixed blade BHs. I am not trying to hi-jack the thread so if this is out of place let me know and I will start a new post.

I shoot 2 feild tips and one BH at one target and the BH always hits 1" right and 1 1/2" low of the FTs at 20 yards. My question/thought on this is just how important is it that the two different tips hit in the same place. Can't you just move your sights?:confused: Or is it really that important that they hit in the same place? I understand that the impact of two tips in the same group is a sign of a well tuned bow, but what size of group can/should be expected at 20-30 yards?

Darkside

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
At twenty or thirty yards, I do not shoot groups. I can't afford to buy that many arrows. I do shoot five spot targets at those distances, and I will get just as many X's with my Stingers as I will with my field points. Of course that is with my bow and my arrow/broadhead tuned properly.

And yes you could just move the sight, but that would not be the "TUNED" thing to do. You will loose some penetration, and KE, not to mention accuracy from an untuned bow.

·
Registered
11,651 Posts
WHY Hunt with head that can fail?

I can see you are new from your line of thinking welcome

The main function of a broadhehad is Killing

Next its penetration

Next is wound making by virtue of having2, 3 or 4 blades to cut and thius kill

Accuracy is somewhere near the bottom of the bucket in priorities

Bowhuntiing is a close range sport Average bow Kill is 19 yards for whitetail

fixed broadhed are accurate to 100 yards from a well tuned bow and a decent broadheads and a proper arrow witrh decent helical fletch

RAY HOWELL PSE Pro staffer has a video of him shooting a Kodak Plastic film canister at 100 yards with a 104# PSE bow and a fixed single blade tomahawk broadhead

he does it over and over at 100 yards!

he used the same bow and arrow to kill A Huge Huge Boone & Crockeet Wt you See on PSE and Primt T ime scent ads.

Ray went to South Africa and smoked a ton of critters with his fixed blade heads
Sir Don't gete hung up on accuracy as mostHunters and target archers dotn shoot well enought to notice any differences at 20 to 30 yards that most people shoot

I dont use Mech HEADS as they SOMETIMES FAIL AND THEY FAIL MORE THAN YOU WOULD EVER GUESS

I would never USE BULLET THAT HAD A FAILURE RATE OF 1 % wHY ON EARTH WOULD I USE A MECH HEAD WHOSE FAILURE MAY BE 10 TO 20%.?

Would you use a harness or tree stand or parachute that has even a a 1% failure rate?

AS A GUIDE & PROFESSIONAL HUNTER IN SOUTH AFRICA I HAVE SEEN THEM FAIL AND WOUND GAME TILLI WAS READY TO PUKE

I SAW A PSE PRO STAFF GUY in Africa HAD 7 HITS....ARROW MECH HEADs FAIL IN A ROW HE HAS TO SHOOT EACH ANIMAL 2.5 times

Game rancherf clsoed hsi ranch to bowhuntign after allthat woundedignna tracking and blood & gore

There was so much blood on his animals no one not PSe would print the photo and he stopped showing them

I was not his PH I was huntignthe same ranch with local south african clients that I guided

I and most South African Outfitters ban them and I will not take a hunter out who used Mech heads period

Most Provinces in South Africa have made mech broadheds Illegal to use
due to the sorry arsed failure rate they have
There is a good story in BOAR HUNTER MAGAZINE this month

A lady guide took a CALIFORNIA guy out to shoot a 300# boar in Calif he shot it with a mechand the head penetrated 3 inches BOAR was lOST.... BOAR SHOT RIGHT BEHIND SHOULDER

Several week later she stalked a huge 300# and killed him
with her bow and fixed broadhead.....same wounded wild boar-
She found the mech arrowhead that went in 3 inches and didnt expand she pulled it it out and mailed it to the client witha pix of the huge boar

That head failure cost him a huge trophy boarand he ahd to pay a trophy fee for woundign the pig....

I sold a ton of broadheads last year when I worked at BASS PRO SHOPS
Most were Fixed as they guys would come in sayaign they lost this big buck with a mech same story again and again good hits bad hits whatever buck not recovered

I never had a customer relate a lost buck with regualr heads

Regular fixed heads have worked fine for 50,000 years

Conventionaj heads esp fixed heads never fail to open as they are always opened. Why hunt with a looser?

With a fixed head you hit a vital the animal is dead and recovered, period

If ti aint broke, don't fix it.

There is a super strong demand for conventional fixed blade heads like the Steel Force Heads and Magnus Stingers
Dealers cant keep them in stock Rows of rockets and Spit fire just hang there day after day

Also the mech heads are $$$$$ super expensive and it a pain to change blades wi the tiny screws etc

You may get one shot in a life time at a Big Boone & Crockett buck why risk it shooting a head that has a known % failure rate?

In my opinion Mech heads Suck to the roots IN My opinion-myEXperienced OPINION
I used to shoot them............ never again

Tink

My 2 cents......my opion based on my many years of bowhunting experince
:(

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Humm...so Tink...which is it you like? Fixed blades or mechanicals? Ha Ha Just kidding. I see your point. I did some more testing today with my broadheads. I was getting excellent groups (for me) out to 30 yards. I think what I did before was practice to the point of getting tired and shooting with poor form because I was so tired. The more I shot to try to get my groups tighter the bigger they got. I'm gonna go with the 100gn Muzzy three blade heads I already have. I really don't want to buy more heads now. And I know these are great heads. We'll see what happens.

Thanks for the replys,
Jeremy

·
Registered
526 Posts
Practice, Practice, Practice...

If you spend enough time practicing & ensuring your gear is 'in tune', when you start with the bh's you'll almost immediately know when something is a miss...

For 4+ years I played around - then I got serious - and got accurate (shooting tournaments). When hunting season came around & my bh's were ALL OVER compared to 'yesterday' when I was on fp's I ensured I was tuned (already was) and started switching heads until I was as accurate with bh's as I was with fp's.

The long & the short of it is my high quality bh's (preferred by MOST) did not group for me as did another great brand. The other brand & style got the nod and I shood those fixed blades JUST as accurate as my fp's & 3D rig...

By obtaining this degree of accuracy there's no need for the mechanicals. IMHO the mechs have less penetration & more risk of deflection, not opening, bending, etc...

Keep shooting - and aim small miss small

·
Registered
8,533 Posts
Add Oregon to the list of states that don't allow mechanicals - or over 65% let-off - or anything electric on bow (lights)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts