Archery Talk Forum banner

A throw back & a laugh for you camo & bow freak bowhunters

1110 17
When your just married (the 2nd time) & just an average paying job and your 55# hunting bow broke day b/4 season you take your 40# 70" target bow that is legal.#1 top photo. Put on a pair of forest green bell bottoms with your Vietnam camo jacket & head out to hunt. These are not photo shopped, so start laughing.. Oh, I have a step up
Sky Gesture Military person Soldier Shotgun
better camo now.. #1 photo-
Plant Tree Gesture Adaptation Grass
Oh, that's a pair of panty hose over my white limbs. Forky buck down 2 hours later, pass thru at 15 yards into the ground, 2117 aluminum shaft tipped with a 3 blade Hi Precision BH. I was standing in the crotch of tree,7 foot off the ground in 1972.. #2 photo, the Buck in 1972. #4 photo, my 1st Deer 1958 & brown plaid shirt, tan pants & camo hat-my actual
Cargo pants Adaptation Hat Tree Plant
hunting outfit that day Pass thru, 35 yds, on the ground. #3 photo, me & brother hunting hogs in 1965 & our outfits. Yes, we killed a hog that day. Not many field photos in those days. Few carried a film camera & these are the only photos of these memories. So fellas enjoy the advances in this awesome sport we call bowhunting.
Plant Musical instrument Tree Trunk Wood
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
2009 PSE bow madness xs
1,684 Posts
Awesome story. Thank you for sharing your memories with us. Proof positive that you don’t have to have all the expensive stuff just to kill stuff. Yes modern technology has its place in equipment but comes with a cost

· Registered
13,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
And now 60 years or so later Im In style. That vest is like 25 years ol at least Never ever have I worried about mix & match.. I get it for the "temp" of the day.. Wife "IS" a bargain shopper & she is always on the look out for Camo tese days for me or the bowhunting G-kids. She gets some "super" stals. She got me at Cabela's Insulated bibs, regular if memory serves me right $125 for $25 bucks who could resist that. I got the real tre vest for $8 regular $50 in the bargain cave.. Yea, its old & out dated camo but keeps me damn warm + I must have arrowed at least 15 Deer & an Elk with it + more.. Hot gets a light T with a hoodie in the pack, mild cold is Hoodie & vest in the pack, Cold, Bibs, Coat & that vest over it.. I dress for the day. I'm guessing the big photo it was hovering around 30 degrees by my outfit (that is cold to an old man for a 4 hour sit). Enjoy your youth & middle age fellas, it passes fast. & getting old is not for puss-ys...
Camouflage Plant Military camouflage Cargo pants People in nature

Attachments

· Registered
646 Posts
Yep, I remember the old Woodland camo that accounted for many squirrels...no deer, though. It's amazing how camo designs have evolved over the year from deer hunting to waterfowl to things like snow geese. I'm far from an exxpert on deer hunting but I feel that the less movement, the less likely to draw attention. I was turkey hunting a few years ago. Set up with full camo (can't remember the modern pattern), full face mask, burlap ccover to break up the outline, camo on the shotgun. A hen approached, kept stretching her neck and knew something was out of place. After about 15 seconds, she turned and ran! Loads of camo, no movement and still got busted!

· Registered
30,528 Posts
Always appreciate your photos and stories, John. For many of us, we made do with what we had because there wasn't the money or even the options there are today. Thanks for sharing!

· Registered
13,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes those early years & photos were sometimes rare or never taken. I have many critters I had arrowed & not one photo. Now, I have a camera with always. Pre 1980 ONE photo existing (50s60s70s). Many no photos, just the memory.

Attachments

· Registered
Bowtech Realm X and PSE Inertia 50lbs
7,011 Posts
I was up in the tree the other day wearing my Flannel shirt, had deer around me for hours, I thought of Chuck Adams back in the day wearing his flannel shirt and killing things

still have a set of camo bow sleeves

· Registered
3,222 Posts
Plant Wood Twig Natural landscape Trunk

Man. That pic of you and buddy (with the cig).. looks just like my grandpa's be he bought as a young guy, that I've been hunting with all year. 40# 66" bear polar. I'm sad because my camo limb socks are coming apart now.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts