Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
with archery seasonquickly approaching and in for some of you i have a quick tip for finding your deer!

don't be so fixated on finding blood to track your deer!

look for over turned leaves, kicked up dirt AND PAY ATTENTION TO KNOWN DEER TRAILS!
blood is not everything in tracking a wounded deer...some people are lost without blood and well gents blood is not a necessity for finding your deer!

i don't care if you have to get on your hands and knees to find over turned leaves or "hurried" tracks with dirt or mud kicked up...it pays off!

be patient, take you time and look at everything! and lest we forget a deer will most likely take the path of least resistance if hit hard

good luck and happy hunting!

·
GUT DEER ????
4,595 Posts
found a deer that wasnt hit that good last year like that

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
And always mark your blood trail..that way you have a starting point to go back to when you loose it... and don't walk in the blood trail.. always to the side.. that way you can come back to it..

·
Registered
4,247 Posts
I do agree that injured deer do churn up the ground. I have followed deer tracks through soft ground where blood wasn't falling

·
Born yank raised south
16,740 Posts
Nice info for people brother I do not get to see a lot of blood where I hunt because of all the water in the swamps we have to trail by the muddy disturbed water and where the leaves and brush is broken in places. About half of my deer shot run through the water at some point because the stands are located in high spots in the swamps.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
I get very frustrated showing up to help someone track a deer that "just didn't leave any blood trail!" In most cases the first 20-30 yards I'll find pin-head sized drops on leaves and then it picks up a bunch down the trail. Some people just don't put enough effort into actually looking for sign, not every blood trail will be a red path from the moment of impact.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Agreed. If you watch and listen after the shot you'll know where and how far he went. Blood trails are nice but paying close attention from the start is much more valuable.To many guys get exited after shot and look at their buddies celebrating and don't notice the deer making big ole U turn through the trees. Around here they typically go downhill,follow open path and find first big brush after 50yd sprint to hide in.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
another tip is take some peroxide in a spray bottle...if there are little pin drops with will bubble when it hits it...

·
Registered
23,229 Posts
Good refresher tips for tracking. Not trying to be a wise acre, but the best tip I can give is make good shots with sharp heads and pass on marginal shot opportunities. If you haven't practiced at 35-40 yards with broadheads, don't try it on a deer. If you are iffy about making it through the small hole in the brush or that low limb, pass rather than risk it. Somehow the underlying principle of bowhunting has become "get arrows in the air" and that leads to poor shots, tough blood trails and wounded game that are lost. Note how many lost deer thread that have shown up on this forum already and it is only mid-September. The idea isn't simply to put blood on the ground but game down quickly with a short recovery.

·
74,535 Posts
Mark the trail with toilet paper. Always. Mark the blood!

Plus you never know when you might need a little TP in the woods.:thumbs_up
DB

·
Registered
893 Posts
Mark the trail with toilet paper. Always. Mark the blood!

Plus you never know when you might need a little TP in the woods.:thumbs_up
DB
X2 toilet paper works well and is biodegradeable. Gone after the first rain and I always have to go when I hunt in the AM.

·
THwack--CRASH
11,173 Posts
find a good dog that tracks deer and watch ......followed a german shepherd,for 12 yrs finding people's lost deer....you'll learn alot from dogs.

the look on some of those guys face ,when they pointed one way and casey went another..
"i shot it right here".....why is the blood and hair over here???.....it ran that way ....well casey's got your deer over there.(priceless)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts