Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 3 weeks ago on september 30th I posted a thread on her entitled "archer down prayers needed!"

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1028626

The night before on the 29th I killed a doe, me and my freind kyle along with several of our other buddies skinned her out, watched the footage of my kill and pretty much just hung out and enjoyed the time.

At about midnight kyle called me and asked what time it was getting daylight, i told him he needed the be in the stand no later than 5:30. He hadn't hunted since he killed this nice buck on video opening morning of the KY season.

At 5 am on sept. 30th I received the call that my oldest freind had fell out of his treestand, a 27ft. fall. Quickly I jumped on my ATV and started to him.

WHen I got to him i was the second person there next to his dad. Shortly after his uncle,aunt & step mom led the ambulance to him. I helped load him up on the spine board and into the ambulance. From there I went home, changed clothes, started the thread on AT and headed to the hospital.

My thread received over three pages of comments and nearly all of them had post with "prayers sent" messages in them. There is no doubt in my mind that this helped in kyles diagnosis and recovery and me and his family thank you all from the bottom our hearts.

Thankfully he was incredibly lucky, he only suffered 3 broken ribs and some bruising. For the record he DID HAVE HIS HARNESS on, but regretably he had not. attached it to the tree yet.

Now for the interesting part of the story....

That night while he was in the hospital, kyles Doctor was visiting him. And he made the following statement.

"You are incredibly lucky, I am glad you have already killed your buck this year because you are done climbing into stands for the next year."

Kyle comes out of almost a sleep and says "I wouldn't go that far Doc." The doctor laughs and says "well atleast he is a fighter." He was in the hospital for a day and a half then was allowed to go home.

Now as many of may or may not know, me and several of my hunting partners have been filming for a hunting show this year entitled "Hunting for the Dream", our crew is Team Covert. Our whole season has been devoted to killing animals on film, kyle is a member of Team Covert and is as dedicated as they come.

A week to the day after his accident, kyle rode with another one of our team members, joey decker, to a spot to check a camera. While Joey was pulling the card, he turned around and Kyle was gone....

Puzzled he looked up and there he was perched in Joeys deerstand. Joey wanted to choke him, but what could he do, he was already up the tree. Kyle got down and said as long as he took it slow, he would be fine. Kyle told joey that he was gonna film him that evening, he had been cooped up in the house for over a week and was going to go crazy.

Thankfully, Joey abliged.

That evening kyle captured joey shooting one of his largest deer ever, and the largest buck to go down so far this year for Team Covert.

The typical 10 grossed 136'' p&y and will literally have less than 2'' of deductions. It is the most probably symetrical deer I have ever held in my hands.

I admire my buddy's die-hard attitude and him sacrificing himself to help out our team. In no way do I advise going against doctors orders, but in this case I will make an exception.

Once again I would like to thank all the members of AT for your support through posts and PM's in our time of need.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Awesome story, way to keep fighting Kyle!:thumbs_up

·
Registered
831 Posts
Same thing happened to my friend last year but broke his leg in a bunch of places 2 days into the season.we had him out hunting,doing drives,ice fishing and everything last year.He was on the wheeler for almost all of it but hey he did fill a few more tags and had a lot of fun doing it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.