Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shot my second 3D round tonight. This time I had to do all my own distance estimation. I got 2 10s, 5 8s, a bunch of 5s and I MISSED 4 targets completely. (Found all my arrows, :D but trashed one on some rocks :( ) This 3D stuff is the most frustrating thing in the whole world. I'm NEVER going again!

Anyone who thinks distance estimation isn't the most important factor in 3D is crazy.

All right I kind of had fun, and getting those 10s felt pretty good. Maybe I'll go one more time....

·
Registered
745 Posts
The one thing that I really like about 3-d is that you can shoot 2 fives in a row and be all down and out. In the next two targets you can shoot two twelves and be a whole new shooter ready to shoot all day long, that is until you shoot another five and your ready to go home. You don't get that indoors. You will experience this in feild archery and that is why I have been shooting a lot of it this year.

·
Extreme Opinionated One
43,840 Posts
It gets under your skin after awhile. It is addictive and infectous. Kinda like a tick? You love the highs from cleaning a course and you hate it when the course cleans you. No two shoots are ever the same even on the same course. It's the best sport you'll ever love to hate. The real fun begins when you start shooting National level events. Traveling with friends is the start of more good stories and jokes. :D :D :D

·
EPLC Stabilization 4-Sale
9,432 Posts
baldmountain said:
Shot my second 3D round tonight. This time I had to do all my own distance estimation. I got 2 10s, 5 8s, a bunch of 5s and I MISSED 4 targets completely. (Found all my arrows, :D but trashed one on some rocks :( ) This 3D stuff is the most frustrating thing in the whole world. I'm NEVER going again!

Anyone who thinks distance estimation isn't the most important factor in 3D is crazy.

All right I kind of had fun, and getting those 10s felt pretty good. Maybe I'll go one more time....
Just like anything else in this world, if you want to be good at it, you will need to practice. For most of us, judging yardage isn't a natural ability, it has to be learned. There are several good ways you might try. I found having a good mental picture of a certain distance helps. I know that it’s 30 yards from my back porch to my fence and I have a good mental image of that. I can apply it to most targets and work from there. I also have a good 40-yard picture. You can set some milk jugs at 10-yard intervals and just study them. You can also get a rangefinder and work with it. Study the targets at various distances. Try guessing the distance before ranging it. Before long you won't be so worried about it and will be focusing more on your shot...

And congrats on those 10's... There's a lot more of them coming. :)

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
3-D's are Great

Geoff, this is my first year of archery and I was in the same boat as you. The first couple of times I shot like crap. But when I hit the 10's and 12's it was great.

I started to shoot with a awesome shooter and he gave me some advice that has worked for me:

(1) "Have fun at all times, if you have a bad shot don't get frustrated or it will ruin your next shot."

(2) "REMEMBER!!! Arrows are cheap!!!" When I put this thought in my head, I was more relaxed. I didn't worry about losing an arrow and actually found myself shooting much better. And more importantly I have not lost an arrow in over a month.

I know that I am only a beginner, but these have worked for me. I really just enjoy the sport of archery. My stress level is way down and my wife can even tell the difference. So much she actually let me buy a second bow! Good luck....Tim

·
Registered
300 Posts
Keep at it!

I agree it is the hard part. Practice it as suggested here. If it was easy, everyone would be doing it.:)

Once you make your "guess", put that part of it out of your mind. Then it's just a confident, rock solid, well executed miss;) .

A good shooter I shoot with will see me struggling with a yardage and he'll say "it is what it is and the ground never lies." I think he's lying on that last part though.

I will take some time and practice so go every Sunday. We all have to take our licks on the yardage. These human rangefinders out there didn't start out that way, they have put in thier time. Some just might have more natural surveying capabilites though, a gift for it. I think being a little tall and seeing very well can be advantages, especially when you are talking some of the longer yardages you'll have. I'm not one in that catagory and I can't prove the theory either:rolleyes: .

Good luck.

-Chief

·
Registered
64 Posts
I agree completely on all counts. I shot my first 3d on Saturday at Lamprey River Bowhunters in NH, the GSB state shoot.

Very frustrating, VERY HUMBLING, but I can see myself going back, again, and again, and again.... the deer don't stand at known distances, so this seems like a good practice.

Thanks to the guys that aranged the shoot, and to the two groups I was lucky enough to join up and shoot with. I went alone, and found some folks that were happy to let me tag along and shoot.

My only complaint would be that some folks seem to take FOREVER to make up their mind on distance. But that's a small price to pay.

-Butler

·
Registered
300 Posts
Unspoken rules!

We kindof follow the 2 min rule here. Some targets take a bit longer than others don't they? I wait all week for Sunday so I don't rush myself or others and let any one that comes up behind shoot through if they wish. Common courtesy really.

-Chief

·
Registered
64 Posts
The 1 or 2 minute rule seems to be what's "official," but some of my partners took what seemed to be longer. I'm certainly not trying to complain (at all here!), but 30 targets, 2 minutes per archer, 4 archers, with 2 minute walk to the next target = 300 minutes. That's 5 hours to do the course. Seems long in my opinion, but even at that amount of time, it's certainly better than a day at work!

As I said, I'm now hooked, so I'm sure I'll be spending many hours on the course.

-Butler

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
i've been trying for 12 years to figure out where 30 yards is, lol!! haven't succeeded yet, but i am getting a little more consistant. the thing that i like about 3d is the comradery. i always go alone and end up meeting a whole bunch of new folks. just about everyone shoots with a group they know, but alot of times one of them won't show or is late , and i tag along. it 's good and bad. if the bunch you shoot with are really bad, you don't get to shoot off their arrows very much. it makes a big difference, at least with me, if you have an arrow to shoot at or close to. good luck, you'll love it and hate it!!!

·
9,432 Posts
Here's another suggestion, and one I recommend to anyone just starting out in 3D. Judging yardage can seem overwhelming at first, so why don't you just shoot from where you are comfortable instead of shooting from the proper stake? The odds are that you are not going to be in the running for awards anyway, so just DQ right off the bat and use the event for practice. I think you will have a lot more fun and as you gradually get better move back. It won't be long before you'll be competing with the big guns.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lot's of good advice here. Thanks!

Last week I got help with distances so I didn't feel like I could turn in a score card. This week I estimated everything and did bad enough that I didn't feel like I could turn in a score card. :D Which is OK. At the shoot I've been going to they pick partners and then award small prizes. I didn't want to cheat or drag someone else down with me while I'm still getting the hang of things.

I shot both weeks at the back stakes. (Orange?) The distance doesn't bother me. I feel like I could shoot any of the targets out to 50 yards and still get at least an 8 IF I KNOW HOW FAR AWAY IT IS. It's the distance estimation that's killing me.

One of the other things that is a bit hard is some of the targets are very dark and in the woods they disappear. One target at the shoot was a small bear. You needed to shoot about 45 yards through a 6 inch gap in the trees. The rest of the target was obstructed. The bear pretty much disappeared into the gloom. I find that sometimes a lot of the targets get lost in the darkness in the woods. (I undersetimated this one by about 10 yards and my arrow feel 10 feet short. :( )

·
Registered
64 Posts
EPLC,

I used the shoot for exactly the purpose you suggest. I kept score myself, and I'm shooting only for myself. I'm not interested in trophies, I'm interested in gaining skill, and bringing home meat come hunting season.

Comradire, good.

Experience, good.

A morning away from the wife, very good :D .

I did shoot from the "Bowhunter Class" stakes, as they are all 35yds or less, which is in my comfort range, so no problems there.

$10, 2 arrows bent, 5 hours of fun. A great deal in my book.

-Butler

·
Registered
300 Posts
baldmountain

Are you shooting a lense (x power)? Let me tell you alot of us know where you are coming from there. Stand in the broad daylight and try to shoot a black pig in the dark woods through a "hole" or a "tunnel". Even after you figure out the yardage thing you'll still know how to say the word "blank", trust me;) .

-Chief

·
Registered
933 Posts
I feel your pain Geoff. The same things that make 3D frustrating, also keeps it interesting.
I like shooting indoor spots, but you drop a point on the first end, and you are out of the game, the rest of the arrows are for practice! (eh umm not that thats ever happened to me...:rolleyes:

What helped my distance judging more than anything is practicing with a laser rangefinder. Just take a walk in the woods and guess yardages. I spend most of my time finding 20 yards, then estimating how much to add, or subtract to the 20. Range it, and see how close you were.

I take my rangefinder to the shoot, and do some ranging in the parking lot to get my bearings.
When in doubt, shoot it for 35!
Now if I can just break 290...

·
9,432 Posts
baldmountain said:

I shot both weeks at the back stakes. (Orange?) The distance doesn't bother me. I feel like I could shoot any of the targets out to 50 yards and still get at least an 8 IF I KNOW HOW FAR AWAY IT IS. It's the distance estimation that's killing me.

:( )
This is my point... If it's the yardage estimates you're not comfortable with then move to within a distance range you ARE comfortable with. After you get a comfort level within that range move back some to increase your range...

And you're right there are some real tough shots to be made. Some guys make it look real easy though. Eric Griggs is one that comes to mind on tough courses.

·
Registered
11,651 Posts
Start out with the white stakes

Satrt at the clsoedst staes t il lyou geta fell then drop back It s game and you can never win so relax and shoot for heck of it Shoot for fun man

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
Next time you think folks are taking a long time, time them. You will be amazed at how long a minute really is. Sure there are folks taking forever. My wife and I shot a recent course that we were helping run the shoot at (yes we donated our scores!), and on just about every stake we were backed up behind another group. Being a good range officer, I started timing them figuring they had to be over the 1 minute GSB limit. Guess what, they weren't. I was amazed at how long a minute was when you are just standing there swatting bugs and watching someone else shoot.

Butler, glad you had fun, hope you keep going, the shoots my family helps run are at chester.

--Bob

·
Registered
64 Posts
Bob,

It's likely I'll see you then! I'm in Sandown, so we're practically neighbors!

I did have another thought though, if I keep going, and bending arrows, then the "boss" has to let me get new ones, right? :cool:

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Re: Start out with the white stakes

Yeah, but if I stand at the white stakes I feel like I could just toss the arrow myself and get a 10.

;) :D

It just seems kinda close...

Africanbowhunter said:
Satrt at the clsoedst staes t il lyou geta fell then drop back It s game and you can never win so relax and shoot for heck of it Shoot for fun man

1 - 20 of 91 Posts