Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
crossbows are archery :)
7,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to re-fletch my arrows using AAE Max hunter fletching. I spent the better part of night getting a doz arrows done. I used beyond bong fast glue. I used my old reliable Mono Fletcher set at 3 degree off set.

Boy they looked nice. I went to try these arrows the next day.... Each mother love arrow had one or two fletches off!

I have never had trouble before with my feathers or Blazer Fletching.

What is the trick to get these suckers to stick on shafts?

Sent from my IN2019 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,976 Posts
Don't know about those vanes specifically but many of the AAE vanes you need to use a primer pen to prep the vanes.

Then there's the obligatory "prep/clean shafts" and "new glue" stuff, [stuff you know but it will probably come up...

]

Some AAEs are now coming pre primered/activator applied, but IDK which ones specifically.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
Blazers are pre-primed. With AAE vanes, you have to use a primer pen or wipe the bases with pure acetone on a Q-tip. Then let dry before gluing them. I tried Max Hunters once too. Mine stayed on, but they kept getting wrinkles set in them, if they ever went fletching deep into a worn spot in a target. That didn't really affect arrow flight, but I couldn't stand how they looked. I've tried other vanes too. I've always come back to Blazers. They're easy to fletch, lighter weight than most, durable and reliable. 3 helical Blazers are all I ever use now. I can't even remember what I was thinking when I decided to try the others.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Use AAE fastest gel and do the following if you are in a humid area:
1)wipe the shafts only with denatured alcohol,
2)hit the shafts and vanes with a hair dryer before applying the vanes.
Ever since I used the above method I have never had a vane fall off.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I can dry wipe the shaft or wipe with alcohol and get great results either way as long as I use the primer pen. Never had luck cleaning vanes with acetone. Others obviously have. I use Loctite super glue gel. Never loose vanes until I strip them.

·
Registered
9,333 Posts
Agree on the primer pen and scrubbing the $$$$ out of the shaft with rubbing alcohol. My ACEs are currently fletched with these, using a gel cyanoacrylate from the hardware store, and only another arrow shot into em can scrape them off.

I'm not a fan; I'm probably going to try a different vane next time....

lee.

·
Registered
547 Posts
One of my sons has continual problems with AAEs even following the proper application procedure. I once had a blazer shot off, went in my garage and re fletched it with gorilla glue without even cleaning. IMO it’s ridiculous to use a proprietary pen or special glue to fletch arrows in 2022.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
One of my sons has continual problems with AAEs even following the proper application procedure. I once had a blazer shot off, went in my garage and re fletched it with gorilla glue without even cleaning. IMO it’s ridiculous to use a proprietary pen or special glue to fletch arrows in 2022.
But it is so easy and in the grand scheme, adds a pretty minimal amount of time. I personally don’t see it as much of a problem. But I also enjoy fletching arrows.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I have been trying to re-fletch my arrows using AAE Max hunter fletching. I spent the better part of night getting a doz arrows done. I used beyond bong fast glue. I used my old reliable Mono Fletcher set at 3 degree off set.

Boy they looked nice. I went to try these arrows the next day.... Each mother love arrow had one or two fletches off!

I have never had trouble before with my feathers or Blazer Fletching.

What is the trick to get these suckers to stick on shafts?

Sent from my IN2019 using Tapatalk
The “trick” is to follow the directions…. I’ve never had a max vane adhesion issue when I followed the directions. I have had problems when I tried to do something different than what the directions said to do.

D

·
Registered
9,333 Posts
I bought some vanes to try just using the acetone.
That didn't even work for me 😞 vanes fell right off with a flick of the finger.
Yeah Acetone by itself doesn't work. You have to use the primer pen. It has acetone in it too, but some other chemicals that do who-knows-what.

I've tried acetone on the feet too and it gets you nowhere.

I'm considering just regular recurve spin wings on my outdoor shafts the next time, as I shoot low poundage and my speeds are in the same neighborhood as an olympic recurve.

The AAE's work really good, but only until they don't.....

lee.

·
Back Yard Champion
33,901 Posts
Just fletched some arrows for my brother using AAE 3.87" vanes. Prepped arrow, wiped bases of vanes with folded paper towel soaked with denatured alcohol. Presto! Shot right out of the jig and no issues. I have some old hunting arrows with the same vanes, and they are years old - no problem.

Picture date 8/21/2017. Ragged and rippled as they are they still shoot great.

Attachments

Reactions: BigXX78

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
Just fletched some arrows for my brother using AAE 3.87" vanes. Prepped arrow, wiped bases of vanes with folded paper towel soaked with denatured alcohol. Presto! Shot right out of the jig and no issues. I have some old hunting arrows with the same vanes, and they are years old - no problem.

Picture date 8/21/2017. Ragged and rippled as they are they still shoot great.
That's exactly how mine looked within a month of shooting them. But mine also stayed on fine without the prep pen. Back then, I probably used G5 Blu Glu.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I’ve always used denatured alcohol with good success I always wipe all that bases with it. The last set of arrows I fletched I used lacquer thinner on the bases with a Qtip because I was out of denatured alcohol. They are really stuck on good. I think I’m going to keep using it in the future.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
I bought some vanes to try just using the acetone.
That didn't even work for me 😞 vanes fell right off with a flick of the finger.
I guess AAE makes them so you'll have to buy their AAE prep pen and AAE glue too, if you want to be sure they'll stay on. Those are some mighty expensive vanes, going that route, especially to wind up so wrinkly and wavy looking, after just a few weeks.

I do really like AAE .166 IP nocks though. They're way better than F nocks.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
But it is so easy and in the grand scheme, adds a pretty minimal amount of time. I personally don’t see it as much of a problem. But I also enjoy fletching arrows.
Fine, then include the Primer and Glue in the package with each set of vanes..... I have aluminums fletched with feathers that have been stuck since the 60's and vanes from the 70's that have gone brittle but bases are stuck solid. Probably done with Ducco cement. I have arrows from the 80's and 90's done with fletch-tite, still solid. It seems like the last 20 years and the extensive use of instant bond CA glues have we had issues with vanes staying where we put them..... And too I love building arrows..... I just that sometimes seems a lot harder to get vanes and feathers to stick than it used to.... new and improved does not always mean better but it does mean cheaper (to make)....

1 - 20 of 52 Posts