Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which vanes are better for broadheads.? Thinking about switching my setup and looking for some input. Not sure what broadheads I will be using. Probably fixed blade like a WASP.

·
Registered
Mathews HalonX 70 Lbs 28.5 draw 670 grain gold tip single bevel Tuffheads
853 Posts
I use the aae 26 hybrid they are quiet and steer my 3 inch long tuff heads out to 60 yards

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
I like the AAE Max Hunters - steer even the larges fixed 2 blade no probs.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I switched to the Max Hunters. I think my arrows shoot better flatter. Never had a problem with Blazers, just tried something new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Blue Marlin
3,001 Posts
I didn't test the Max Stealth but just got done with a comparison between 3 fletched Max Hunter, 3 fletched Blazers, 3 fletched 3" Fusion, 4 fletched 2.1" Fusion ll, and 3" feathers at 40 yards. The Max Hunter blew the nock out and splintered the shaft of the feather arrow first round then after a hour shooting it appeared that the winners were the 3 fletched Blazer and 4 fletched Fusion. I then shot dots with Iron Will Wide broadheads into my Rinehart 18-1 and came to the same conclusion. I haven't shot Blazers in over 10 years but can't deny their arrow control. Basically, you can add weight to the rear of a arrow and shoot 4 fletched fusion over 3 fletched Blazers and have about the same results at that distance. My Max Hunter wasn't as consistant. If you are shooting longer distances then Blazers are a great choice because I'm sure the 4 fletched arrows drag will come into play. With that said, I'm going to run 4 fletched Fusion ll on my hunting rig with the Iron Will Wides this season because my shots will be sub 40 yards. I would be equally as confident with the Blazers.

This was my personal findings shooting the above vanes and 500-510 grain Axis sticks. In no way was this a hooter shooter controlled environment so take all this with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I went from the 2" Blazers to the Flex Fletch 360 vane with I really like. I like their memory and their softness for a pass thru. I'm shooting low poundage so that is important to me to eliminate resistance with a hard vane. JM2C's

·
Registered
Mathews HalonX 70 Lbs 28.5 draw 670 grain gold tip single bevel Tuffheads
853 Posts
I didn't test the Max Stealth but just got done with a comparison between 3 fletched Max Hunter, 3 fletched Blazers, 3 fletched 3" Fusion, 4 fletched 2.1" Fusion ll, and 3" feathers at 40 yards. The Max Hunter blew the nock out and splintered the shaft of the feather arrow first round then after a hour shooting it appeared that the winners were the 3 fletched Blazer and 4 fletched Fusion. I then shot dots with Iron Will Wide broadheads into my Rinehart 18-1 and came to the same conclusion. I haven't shot Blazers in over 10 years but can't deny their arrow control. Basically, you can add weight to the rear of a arrow and shoot 4 fletched fusion over 3 fletched Blazers and have about the same results at that distance. My Max Hunter wasn't as consistant. If you are shooting longer distances then Blazers are a great choice because I'm sure the 4 fletched arrows drag will come into play. With that said, I'm going to run 4 fletched Fusion ll on my hunting rig with the Iron Will Wides this season because my shots will be sub 40 yards. I would be equally as confident with the Blazers.

This was my personal findings shooting the above vanes and 500-510 grain Axis sticks. In no way was this a hooter shooter controlled environment so take all this with a grain of salt.
Nice test for poi but you forgot about the noise factor blazer are the loudest down range and that is what the deer hear and makes them duck an arrow, my 2 cent

·
Registered
53 Posts
Tried the AAE max hunters about a year ago, really wanted to use them but for the life of me could not get them to stick to my FMJ's, even bought the their pen and glue. After that they stuck ok but would have a random one fly off once in a while so went to refletch them and the pen had gone dry so I gave up and went back to blazers much less hassle.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have came to the conclusion of more drag equals more noise duh! If you want better vane steerage or correction you are going to have to deal with more noise.

·
Registered
51,110 Posts
^^^^This and better stabilization
I have a half dozen built with the Max Stealth and they hang tight in there with my 4" helical feathers. But honestly I like my feathers just a tad more. As far as noise goes, never concerned me. Never had a deer duck an arrow because of noise from a arrow.

·
Blue Marlin
3,001 Posts
The noise issue is more of an internet and forum controversy than real world issue. Years ago I killed 8 deer one season using FOBs and those sound like whistles going down range. Let alone all the vented 2 blade heads I've experimented with. In my mind what's more important is not taking shots at alert deer or when they are looking at you before the shot.

·
Registered
11,868 Posts
Nice test for poi but you forgot about the noise factor blazer are the loudest down range and that is what the deer hear and makes them duck an arrow, my 2 cent
The noise coming at you is different than on the side and behind the arrow. In front you don’t hear near as much. We tested it by using a dB monitor and the blazers are louder but not as much as you think. Not enough a deer won’t hear your bow first.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
have you consider q2i vanes i really like them

·
Registered
Bowtech Realm X and PSE Inertia 50lbs
4,462 Posts
AAE 2.6 Hybrid here

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
The best solution is to fletch up three arrows with Blazers and three with AAE and go to the range and see for yourself which vanes group best for you.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Most every thing in archery is a personal fit, I dig 2qI Vanes , PSE Target bows , and Red heads dont tell the wife.
Just keep playing with it until you find your grove.

AAE, BLAZER, 2QI ARE ALL EVERY GOOD. but over the last year i have move to 2qi and no regrests,

·
The Impartial Archer
18,780 Posts
The noise coming at you is different than on the side and behind the arrow. In front you don’t hear near as much. We tested it by using a dB monitor and the blazers are louder but not as much as you think. Not enough a deer won’t hear your bow first.
That's one opinion just one I don't agree with. So the deer hears the bow and so then more arrow noise is ok? My way of thinking is make the bow so quiet and natural sounding they don't react because they hear similar noises ALL day long. Then shoot the most quiet arrow and broad head combo I can find and then you get the best possible results at any distance.

I never have liked the deer will always hear the bow argument because it's overused and not true. It is simply noises and then noises NOT in their "proper" environment. That's what causes the reaction......not necessarily just the volume.

If you are eating in a diner with your back to the crowd at a table you hear people speaking, silverware clanking and chairs sliding in & out you hear ALL of that but you ignore it because it's normal for that environment. The second a plate of food is dropped you jerk your head around without really thinking about it because that sound isn't normal.

Or better yet a fork gets dropped next to you and that's not even that loud at all it still get's you attention right away because it's not normal and it's a sound that you know is not a good thing so it grabs your attention.

I think deer do the same thing....they react more to the bow that sounds out of place more than the bow that has the softer puff sound that is easily dismissed as things normal to that environment.

I probably won't change your mind but I have seen this play out over almost 30 years of playing with it in the field.

·
Registered
11,868 Posts
That's one opinion just one I don't agree with. So the deer hears the bow and so then more arrow noise is ok? My way of thinking is make the bow so quiet and natural sounding they don't react because they hear similar noises ALL day long. Then shoot the most quiet arrow and broad head combo I can find and then you get the best possible results at any distance.

I never have liked the deer will always hear the bow argument because it's overused and not true. It's simple noises and noises in NOT in their "proper" environment.

If you are eating in a diner with your back to the crowd at a table you hear people speaking, silverware clanking and chairs sliding in & out you hear ALL of that but you ignore it because it's normal. The second a plate of food is dropped you jerk your head around without really thinking about it because that sound isn't normal.

Or better yet a fork get dropped next to you and that's not even that loud at all it still get's you attention right away because it's not normal and it's a sound that you know is not a good thing.

I think deer do the same thing....they react more to the bow that sounds out of place more than the bow that has the softer puff that is easily dismissed.

I probably won't change your mind but I have seen this play out over almost 30 years of playing with it in the field.
Don’t have to change my mind, I have tested it. Shot a deer at 2 yards, 50 yards, 20 yards, 32 yards all with blazers and a quite bow. I shoot a 500plus grain arrow with a fixed head and have lost no deer with a bow. Never had one duck the string either. But I also don’t take cRap shots and wait till deer is calm. If not I don’t take it over 20 yards.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts