Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gearing up to start building my own arrows and was wondering if this stuff is worth the money? Any opinions? Products with similar ingredients for less money?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
686 Posts
If you use AAE vanes outside of the plastifletch vanes, you'll have to at least use the primer pen on the base of the vanes to get them to stick. I have never used their wipes, but I just use the Bohning arrow wrap spray to clean the shafts and then the AAE primer pen and AAE max glue on all my vanes regardless of which brand. I would recommend the AAE Max Stealth vanes for sure!

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
You aren't going to save more than a couple bucks at best trying to find equivalents. The primer pen is handy for prepping vane bases even though acetone and a q-tip would work.

If you are using AAE vanes the products are definitely worth it for peace of mind.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I got the kit and couldn't get the Max Stealth's to stick. Went through a 100 pack in about a month. Had to refletch every couple of days. I was doing the proper arrow and vane prep. I tried every variation in the amount of glue possible; way too much to barely any and everything in between. Didn't make lick of difference for me. I really liked the vanes while they were on. Not sure if it was a bad batch of glue or what.

Switched to Vanetec Swift 3.15's and BSI Maxi Cure. Use denatured alcohol to clean the shafts and a quick wipe of the base of the vane with a q tip and acetone right before gluing. Only have to replace a vane when one get's hit with an arrow. Very pleased with the current set up.

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
I would highly recommend any AAE vane. They are by far my favorite on the market. They do take a bit more prep but in my opinion it is worth it. I use acetone and Q-tip but the Primer Pen is much more handy. They will NOT stick unless you do the prep. It's worth it though.

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
My process
1 laquer thinner from walmart whip shaft
2 laquer thinner and q tip all max stealth bases
3 aae primer pen
4 aae max bond
5 stick it
U will rip carbon off with this process they wont come off

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
They were to much of a hassle for me , bought all there stuff still didn’t stick that great , I went back to blazers and lock tite control gel , simple and way less expensive . IMO aae vanes are way overrated !

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just have blazed vanes for now but will probably experiment with others im sure.
I was thinking the AAE max system would work for any vane

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
I bought the AAE kit...used the wipes/pen/and glue according to the instructions, and I couldn't be happier. Those vanes are not coming off! I broke one of the arrows I had fletched up, and so I tried to pull one of the AAE vanes off with a pair of pliers just for giggles. Had a heck of a time getting it to come off, and even when it did rip loose- the base stayed glued to the shaft.

·
SMH
1,947 Posts
The full kit with the wash, wipes, primer pen and glue works every time for me on aluminum or carbons with AAE vanes.
Flex Fletch vanes stick like crazy with no primer pen but using the wash or wipes and AAE glue.

Just don't acetone the crap out of the shafts prior to gluing.
My applied chemistry phd kid told me that excessive acetone actually leaves a layer of poorly attached carbon which probably causes a lot of issues.

Moisture activates cyano-acrylates so the wash or wipes introduce the moisture that promotes a good bond the first time...

·
Hunter of many things
11,874 Posts
I use max bond for everything including inserts. I use the primer pen as recommended with max vanes and it works!! Other than that i only only some alcohol to clean the shafts.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
I used the AAE pen with several different glues and had no issues, then when the pen ran out, I just used acetone to wipe down the vane bases, and had the same result. The "primer" and Max Bond is convenient and fool proof IMO, but not necessarily any better than prepping with acetone and other fresh super-glues.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I've never had an adhesion problem with any of the vanes from Bohning, AAE or other manufactures by just wiping with acetone first. Also wipe the vane area on a carbon or aluminum shaft. Used bohning platinum glue for years and now the super glues. If using wraps smooth out using a clean rag or paper towel to avoid getting any finger oil on the surface. It's been working for years without issues. It's not rocket science so if your vanes are coming off you either have a miss aligned jig, bad glue or bad prep.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I suspect my issue was the result of bad glue. I used the AAE prep kit with the Vanetec's until I ran out, then switched to acetone and denatured alcohol. I was also roughing up the shaft (FMJ's) with some 400 grit AO to help with adhesion. Like onearrow said, it ain't rocket science, so the glue must have been the issue.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I used it for the first time over the long Thanksgiving weekend; I fletched up 5 dozen arrows. Used the wipes on the shaft, then the primer pen on the base and then the Max Bond glue and I couldn't be happier. Every vane stuck like white on rice, not coming off, ever.

I also used some Gold Tip Tip Grip glue in place of the Max Bond, just to see, and it worked equally well.

All of the arrows had Max Stealth vanes of various colors, and I even did a few test using Blazers, everything stuck well.

And I agree about the pen not being any better than Acetone and a Q-tip, but it is much easier and less waste of Q-tips.

A good fitting jig is a must as is the correct amount of glue; any void in the glue line of the foot and you can pull the vane off.

·
Shootin and Cussin
22,670 Posts
Gearing up to start building my own arrows and was wondering if this stuff is worth the money? Any opinions? Products with similar ingredients for less money?

Yes. It is worth every penny. Just suck it up and spend the money. You WILL NOT be sorry!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts