Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 200 Posts

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay. I've been reading more and more on scent-lok and am coming or getting very close to opening my eyes to the fact that it probably is bunk.

With that being the case, what is the warm weather choice of gear out there? Just regular camo stuff like T's and Pants?

I've only had a scent lok suit before (been away from hunting for 3 yrs) and bought a new suit but decided to read more on it and will probably be returning it to BPS. NEXT CHOICE?

In the famous words of a preacher... I'VE SEEN THE LIGHT! :tongue:

·
Registered
224 Posts
JMHO but I wouldnt hunt whitetails without my scentlok. It wont allow you to spend a great deal of time directly upwind of a deer, but it will give you some protection from swirling wind. If I was hunting spot and stalk, I wouldnt worry about it, But from a treestand......

·
Registered
676 Posts
You can get scentlok pretty cheap now so if gives you a 10% chance then why not?:lie:

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
A couple of years ago my old lady through mine out on accident, and I deciced to really be conscious about my scent. Washed all my clothes in scent killer, showered in the soaps, wore the deorderant, and I would get dressed ouutside my truck when I got to the property. I have never had any problems with deer winding me. So I think I would have to agree with you that scentlock and the other brands are bunk.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Scent-Lok

As soon as it gets cold here in Pa., I plan to setup my pop-up, put my suit on and take a bag of prunes out with me. A good healthy fart outta answer the question as to whether or not it works.

·
Registered
372 Posts
As far as scentlock being a bunk i dont know. i read erlier about using smoke, like from a brush pile. they said its an old indian custom. havent tried it but i know when i get done burning i smell like smoke and only smoke. they said it was a great cover scent.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
I'm not sure where or what your reading about Scent Lok or why people think its a gimmick? From my experience not only does it work it works great. Of course you still have to play the wind and stay as scent free as possible but, as you all know deer will still come in down wind of you and scent lok is just another tool to help you fool the nose of the whitetail. If it's such a gimmick then why do you see all the pro wearing some sort of scent control clothing? IMO that stuff works and it has helped me in my hunting.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
jbo3 said:
Okay. I've been reading more and more on scent-lok and am coming or getting very close to opening my eyes to the fact that it probably is bunk.

With that being the case, what is the warm weather choice of gear out there? Just regular camo stuff like T's and Pants?

I've only had a scent lok suit before (been away from hunting for 3 yrs) and bought a new suit but decided to read more on it and will probably be returning it to BPS. NEXT CHOICE?

In the famous words of a preacher... I'VE SEEN THE LIGHT! :tongue:
Has your suit worked for YOU in the past? If so, then it's effective. I have 2 suits and they have worked for me. Are they perfect? No, but what is? I still practice scent control, my suits are stored in scent-proof bags and washed in non-scented soap. I don't wear them anywhere but in the woods, I don't wear them in the truck or while getting gas. Like I said, if they've worked for you, like they have for me, I don't really care what anybody else says.

·
Registered
11,770 Posts
From what I have watched on TV and read about it and according to the ScentLok folks themselves you still have to be pretty religious about your handling of these garments in order for them to be effective...IE not wearing them in the truck, keeping them in scent proof containers, etc. I would think if you used the scent free detergent/soaps/shampoo, etc that it would be just about as effective thats what I normally do. That said I don't have areas where I am hunting super sensitive adult bucks either.....it doesnt matter for me, I can't afford the stuff anyhow!! '94

·
Registered
12,018 Posts
This will be my fist season with a full outfit. I had just a jacket last year.

It may work. It may not. I got all of mine free from Chrysler with catalog points. I wonder how many people woudn't wear it, or call it bunk if they got it at no charge. I'm thinking that for free, everyone that had the chance would wear it.:wink:

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
I have never had any problems with deer winding me.
You are the first hunter that I have ever heard make this claim.Congratulations!
If it's such a gimmick then why do you see all the pro wearing some sort of scent control clothing?
That would be sponsors and many are paid to do so.

I agree it has a limited degree of an overall effect. The activated carbon will adsorb some odor molecules for a limited time period, all the while a hunter is emitting tons of scent anyway that cannot be contained or adsorbed; that is of course unless you can hold your breath for very long periods and hunt with your head in an air tight bubble.

·
74,535 Posts
Just tell you the story at are lease

Hunter that was very new to hunting. Hunting some places that most of us never saw deer. Evertime he hunted in this spot he saw deer. He was the first to use the suit and convinced many of us.

Bottomline it worked for him and Im convinced it helps. Not the total answer but I have had more deer come down wind with me wearing mine. Bad thing is it has to be colder for me to wear mine.

I know I can cut half an onion and place it in my hood and not smell it. Has to help. To each his own.:wink: Some of the stuff there selling today looks awefull thin.
DB

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Did it work in the past? After re-thinking that, how can one quantify that? My friends never wore it and saw as many deer as I did. We did the same things at camp. Showered with non scented products right before leaving for the woods, etc. etc.

I think most of anything we say about a product is pure anectodal evidence.

"Joe used Jimsgreatestdescenter" and "swears he sees more deer"

Show me a pro wearing scent lok that doesn't get paid by saying so?

I'd love to see some sort of study done with scent-lok and non-scent lok in some sort of controlled settings. How this would be accomplished, I have no clue. Too many variables.

I was more thinking of cost/benefit ratio's. That being, does the higher cost truly increase your chances of seeing deer? A question that is terrible difficult to answer.

I suppose my statement is. Does scent-lok work? then PROVE IT! Does it truly get re-activated (meaning releasing all the odors locked into the pores) with the low temps in a normal household dryer? PROVE IT!

Guess it depends on the mood of the deer too eh?

·
Registered
435 Posts
I'm absolutely sure that a new scent lock suit will absorb your odors and help with your hunting. Problem is, unless your dryer gets to 3000 degrees F, it won't re-activiate that charcoal. The claim that a dryer reactivates activated charcoal is complete bunk, ask anybody who knows anything about basic chemistry.

Not to hi-jack the thread but the X-Static/X-scent fabrics have silver fibers woven into the fabric. Silver kills bacteria, proven fact. Bacteria stink. proven fact. Before you spend $40 on a top and bottom underwear set, just spend $10 on the socks. Wear them all week in your work boots or smelly tennis shoes. You will be convinced they work by this simple test. I take all the other cautions mentioned above and wear the X-Scent stuff....I HAVE been busted by deer but I'm still sure the stuff helps a lot. My socks and pits don't stink after wearing it.

·
74,535 Posts
Prove it

jbo3 said:
Did it work in the past? After re-thinking that, how can one quantify that? My friends never wore it and saw as many deer as I did. We did the same things at camp. Showered with non scented products right before leaving for the woods, etc. etc.

I think most of anything we say about a product is pure anectodal evidence.

"Joe used Jimsgreatestdescenter" and "swears he sees more deer"

Show me a pro wearing scent lok that doesn't get paid by saying so?

I'd love to see some sort of study done with scent-lok and non-scent lok in some sort of controlled settings. How this would be accomplished, I have no clue. Too many variables.

I was more thinking of cost/benefit ratio's. That being, does the higher cost truly increase your chances of seeing deer? A question that is terrible difficult to answer.

I suppose my statement is. Does scent-lok work? then PROVE IT! Does it truly get re-activated (meaning releasing all the odors locked into the pores) with the low temps in a normal household dryer? PROVE IT!

Guess it depends on the mood of the deer too eh?

My nose dont lie. Like I said, I dont buy it untell I see it for myself. You cant tell me it doesnt help,( HELP) I know for a fact it does help elimante some odor by my nose with the onion thing. I know several top hunters in my area that dont get paid a dime and they swear by it. JUst like anything else, what works for some will never work for others. Many believe doe estrous doesnt work for bringing in bucks in the fall, I never go in the woods without it during the rut. Most items I use are tips from everday hunters who have shown me it works.
DB

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
it may help but i dont believe it is as important as stand placement and hunting the wind

1 - 20 of 200 Posts