Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got some hickory trees a guy at my work doesnt want coming. i was wondering about how long it will be before i can make bows with it? i know it depends on alot of factors, but i am just looking for a educated guess. thanks

· Registered
4,925 Posts
My thoughts

You need to split the trees 76" staves. Get the bark off them but don't cut into the back (bark side) you also need to seal the ends with wood glue or polyeurthen. If you don't seal the ends, the ends will dry first and crack. If you don't get the bark off worm will work under the bark and ruin the back. You can start making bow right away. You will need to dry it and get the temp. down before you start tillering it. But you can get started. Will take some time so take time. Just my advice some one else might disagree, but that is what I would do. Wish I had some hickory. Your a lucky guy. No hickory in Montana.
Later,
Clay

· Registered
10,066 Posts
You need to split the trees 76" staves. Get the bark off them but don't cut into the back (bark side) you also need to seal the ends with wood glue or polyeurthen. If you don't seal the ends, the ends will dry first and crack. If you don't get the bark off worm will work under the bark and ruin the back. You can start making bow right away. You will need to dry it and get the temp. down before you start tillering it. But you can get started. Will take some time so take time. Just my advice some one else might disagree, but that is what I would do. Wish I had some hickory. Your a lucky guy. No hickory in Montana.
Later,
Clay
Exactly as Clayborn said. But once you've prepared some staves to start drying, you can rough out one bow and clamp it down (leave it full width to discourage warping). Hickory is a bear to dry, and it will still take three or more months for a roughed out bow to dry enough to begin tillering.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.