Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
bow nut
4,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spent the last two days shooting my Ultra Elite and getting frustrated. No matter what I do with my nock point or rest spring tension my broad heads are about six inches low at 50 yards. I have been from level to about a 1/4 over square with no luck. I have tried my bodoodle and my quick tune 3000 and no luck with either. I'm shooting 70lbs with a 26.5" draw. My arrows are acc 349 at about 27" I shoot 100 grain wasp boss heads. This combo has always worked so well for me. I also have always shot off the string. The arrow flight is great, I just would like the point of impact to be the same. Any help would be great. Thanks...Lee

·
Mad Viking
2,046 Posts
If your getting good arrow flight and groups, I'd just move my sights with the broadheads.

·
bow nut
4,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I could do that. Its just that I'm stumped on why lowering the nocking point had no effect on broad head flight.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Putting broadheads on your arrows changes the f.o.c. Broadheads stick out farther than your feild tip's, and cause your balance point to move farther forward. You may want to balance one of your arrows with a broadhead on and see what f.o.c. you're getting, then make changes to your arrows as necessary.

·
Reverend
6,940 Posts
To me, getting BH's to fly with field points requires a perfectly tuned bow as a starting point. Just a few points to consider:
A. How are your paper tears?
B. Are your cams timed and syncronized, as per Javi's "sticky?"
C. Make sure there is no fletch contact with rest.
D. Have you spin tested BH's to make sure they are perfectly straight?
E. What kind of fletching are you using, and is it in a helical or offset configuration?

There are other things to consider, but we'll start with the obvious... sorry if it seems so elementary, but it is important to have these ruled out before you continue...

·
bow nut
4,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Reverend said:
To me, getting BH's to fly with field points requires a perfectly tuned bow as a starting point. Just a few points to consider:
A. How are your paper tears?
B. Are your cams timed and syncronized, as per Javi's "sticky?"
C. Make sure there is no fletch contact with rest.
D. Have you spin tested BH's to make sure they are perfectly straight?
E. What kind of fletching are you using, and is it in a helical or offset configuration?

There are other things to consider, but we'll start with the obvious... sorry if it seems so elementary, but it is important to have these ruled out before you continue...
It tears perfect holes
The cams are spot on.
Zero contact with fletch.
Broadheads spin true.
I'm using 4" offset vanes.

·
Reverend
6,940 Posts
After paper tuning, I would try creep tuning. There are a couple of threads on here on the exact procedure. Then see what happens.
If this fails to yield the desired results, I would lower the poundage to about 64-65#, re-tune then try again. I know it's alot of work, but you also want to rule out a spine issue.

Don't give up! You'll get it.

·
bow nut
4,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Reverend said:
After paper tuning, I would try creep tuning. There are a couple of threads on here on the exact procedure. Then see what happens.
If this fails to yield the desired results, I would lower the poundage to about 64-65#, re-tune then try again. I know it's alto of work, but you also want to rule out a spine issue.

Don't give up! You'll get it.
Thanks for the help. I guess I forget how frustrating it can be every year when I make the switch to broad heads.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts