Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
will a buck (that has survived) make a scrape in the same spot the next year? reason being, i went to my stand tonight (PA season opens tomorrow) just to check things out and i saw a scrape exactly where there was one last year. i know a scrape is like a common marking post but to be in the same spot at least 2 years in a row........

· Registered
40 Posts
It may be the same buck , or it may be a location that has all the factors to make it attractive to place a scrape. Where I hunt there is a scrape in the same place every year and I have seen several different animals use it year to year. A scrape is a communication post and not unusual to be visited and worked by several animals

· Registered
342 Posts
I agree 100% that certain spots will have a scrape every year. I can think of several spots like this. Could be the same buck or more likely to me it's just the "right spot" for a scrape.

· Registered
4,855 Posts
on one of my hunting parcels i have a firstary scrape which is a mutiple buck scrape,you may only find a spot like once in your life time,by mid november this area will be as big as eight feet by eight feet wide and long,then the bucks will make scrape lines from that spot which would be your secondary scrapes,,,,its there every year its just one of those hot spots.

· Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sounds good. i have been hunting this stand for the past 5 years and shot 2 bucks out of it. last year there were 2 other smaller bucks with the one i shot. so they are probibly still using the scrape also. this scrape is 30yrds. from my stand, the first few years i hunted it there were scrapes 50-60 yrds away, but they were always in different spots year after year.

· That's a bear track!
29,022 Posts
I've got a spot I've been hunting for close to twenty years and each and every year there will be a scrape opened under this one particular Hemlock tree. Didn't know deer lived that long.:wink: His longevity ends this year...he's going down.

· THwack--CRASH
11,208 Posts
yes ,yes,yes, I've got a place that will have a scrape of scrapes there. Some years it will grow to 6-8 ft. diameter.It's in a huge area and this tree sits on a point out in this open area .
Seems as if every buck in the region hits it.
The problem is there's no place to sit for ambush :cry:
I have a bad smeller but,you can smell that scrape from a long ways away.

· audentes fortuna iuvat
21,482 Posts
Some scrapes will be used by many different deer and some scrapes will be visited by the same buck year after year (if he's lucky). I've got pics and video that show both situations.

You can bet I will have a video unit set up on one particular scrape in the next week or two and there is no evidence of any scraping yet, but there will be:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.