Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was making an endless loop for my recurve tonight and I got to wondering what string length and # of twists everyone else was using for their bow. For my 66" bow I've been making 62.5" strings and twisting them up, probly more than I should, to get a 8.5" brace height. Since I can't stop tinkering and I got some extra time on my hands nowadays I thought I'd make a few different strings (different strand count, length, material) and try them out.

I'm curious to see what you guys are doing. What string length, bow length, and brace height do you guys have?

BTW, I freakin forgot I was using 8125 instead of D97 tonight and it wasn't till I was finished with the first loop that I noticed the string was too thin. That was about as annoying as another time when I noticed that I was using Halo for my end loop. Oh the joys of making strings...

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, how long do you make your end loops? I've been making my bottom loops 1" and my top loop about 1.5".

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Don't have those problems you said you have. =D

The bottom loop is done by feel and so is the top one. :) They always seem to turn out well. ;)

I use a brace height of 8.75-9 inches. I find that it works best with my bow. Twisting? I don't believe in twisting a recurve string.

btw, theres no problems with using halo for end serving. Although I have yet to run into that problem and I've made thousands of strings.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Really? I've always had strings that were a bit long and then twisted them up to get the proper brace height. I think twists in the string make a rounder string than one that is untwisted, and twists keep a string together, I imagine on release, an untwisted string would start to see it's strands seperate a little.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
I find Halo makes an excessively noisy end loop and is prone to separation at the corners. Me no like for end loops.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I remember seeing some high speed photography of a string without twists in it. It balooned out (the strands separated) as the string moved forward. I don't have any particulars beyond that.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
>--gt--> said:
I find Halo makes an excessively noisy end loop and is prone to separation at the corners. Me no like for end loops.
Good to know. Although, I never plan on using Halo as an end loop. =D

As for whisper quiet, I assume it would be any serving designed to be used as an end serving and not a center serving. :p

1 - 8 of 8 Posts