Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm shooting or not shooting my Hoyt xtec 04 model. I'm constantly getting vane contact with whatever rest I use. The arrow on release seems to be kicked downward and the vane is contacting the bottom of the outside of the rest. This happens with the QAD drop away and also with prong style rests.
I changed the nocking point in all directions with no change, gets alittle better or worse depending on how extreme you move it. I've tried different arrows, different vanes. The timing is fine.
I've put the drop away on other bows and its deffinately dropping in time.
I don't know what to do. The bow has had some form of contact since new.
I always thought it was something I was doing, then I thought the blazers I was using were just to hight profile. After changing back to 4" duravanes, still the same problem.
So maybe I just suck and torque the bow or something. I've had 4 other shooters shoot it and same outcome, its not me.
What the heck am I missing. I'm heading out of a trip soon and need my bow. Help.
Bryan
oh, the techs have put muliple hours into it, can't figure it out, just wont tune.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
holy, ok, better read that a few times. I think I will print it and show the shop, better yet I'll see if the shop has done this yet. Cam stop timing has been mentioned before.
I hope its the cure, or i'm leaving there with a different bow.
Bryan

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
onmedic said:
holy, ok, better read that a few times. I think I will print it and show the shop, better yet I'll see if the shop has done this yet. Cam stop timing has been mentioned before.
I hope its the cure, or i'm leaving there with a different bow.
Bryan
One note: The X-Tec tunes in the "C" slot instead of the "D" slot...

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
just to be sure, c slot, once i'm done return back to normal, adjust DL by twisting string, correct.
Is this something to check or is this a typical fix when i'm getting the arrow pitched downward on release and cannot fix by moving the rest first, then nocking point.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
onmedic said:
just to be sure, c slot, once i'm done return back to normal, adjust DL by twisting string, correct.
Is this something to check or is this a typical fix when i'm getting the arrow pitched downward on release and cannot fix by moving the rest first, then nocking point.
The X-Tec is setup in the "C" module position... once the draw length, a2a, timing, cam sync and draw weight are correct... you can then move to the module position of your choice... you may need to adjust the draw stop timing a 1/2 twist or so... You can also twist or un-twist the string to fine tune to your exact dl if needed...

this something that should be done anytime you buy a new Hybrid bow or change the string...

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
this makes sense, I just had a new set of winners choice cables and string put on, one of the newer young guys threw them on, I don't remember him doing any of that, at the same time we put the ultra rest on, thats when things went real bad. Hope this works, should find out today.
Thanks for all your help
Bryan

·
Registered
526 Posts
I just got through putting a new set of GAS strings/cables on my '04 Xtec. Was having alot of problems with it. Javi gave me the the same post/advise. After following it, I set the rest/nock point and was shooting bullet holes from the 3rd shot. Only had to make a minor rest adjustment. The bow is shooting better now than it ever has.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
oohhh man i'm getting excited. Have you heard of any difficulties with the xtec or vtec and using an ultra rest. That s what i will be using.
thought if there was a pretty typical problem and easy fix i'd save a step and do it now.
Bryan

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
onmedic said:
oohhh man i'm getting excited. Have you heard of any difficulties with the xtec or vtec and using an ultra rest. That s what i will be using.
thought if there was a pretty typical problem and easy fix i'd save a step and do it now.
Bryan
The Ultra Rest likes a high nock ....

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Javi, we certainly did learn a few things today about my bow. Not exactly everything though, unfortunately to correct the problem
One of the cables from Winners Choice was a 1/8 of an inch off of spec, certainly didn't think that would throw the bow off as badly as it was.
The cam stop timing was out by a little.
with the bow tuned to exactly Hoyts specs the problem of the vane hitting the outside prong of my ultra rest was certainly decreased but not gone. We then started playing with nocking point which did improve it a little more but we still could not completely fix the problem.
Someone else suggested a string loop, which also improved it a bit. I still have vane contact but very minimally. It does not seem to affect the arrow flight at all and does not affect my groups down range.
With all the twisting and mostly unwinding cables and what not to get the bow exactly where its supposed to be though I know own a bow that is bottomed out at 55lbs and its supposed to be a 60lb bow. I don't have much more time to play with it and will shoot it like this the rest of hunting season. I will not be however by next season. The bow will be going back to Hoyt, we are all tapped out on ideas. its time for Hoyt to figure it out. If the bow does not come back able to shoot my ultra rest and at 60lbs I consider it not fixed or shootable to its or my potential and will want a replacement. I certainly hope they can figure it out at the end of the season.
Thanks for everyones ideas, if you have any more in the next few days let me know.
It s shooting my 380grn gold tip 5575's at 241fps at 55 lbs. I got this bow because it was fast at my short DL of 26.5, sure is a shame I can't get this figured out.
Bryan

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
onmedic said:
Javi, we certainly did learn a few things today about my bow. Not exactly everything though, unfortunately to correct the problem
One of the cables from Winners Choice was a 1/8 of an inch off of spec, certainly didn't think that would throw the bow off as badly as it was.
The cam stop timing was out by a little.
with the bow tuned to exactly Hoyts specs the problem of the vane hitting the outside prong of my ultra rest was certainly decreased but not gone. We then started playing with nocking point which did improve it a little more but we still could not completely fix the problem.
Someone else suggested a string loop, which also improved it a bit. I still have vane contact but very minimally. It does not seem to affect the arrow flight at all and does not affect my groups down range.
With all the twisting and mostly unwinding cables and what not to get the bow exactly where its supposed to be though I know own a bow that is bottomed out at 55lbs and its supposed to be a 60lb bow. I don't have much more time to play with it and will shoot it like this the rest of hunting season. I will not be however by next season. The bow will be going back to Hoyt, we are all tapped out on ideas. its time for Hoyt to figure it out. If the bow does not come back able to shoot my ultra rest and at 60lbs I consider it not fixed or shootable to its or my potential and will want a replacement. I certainly hope they can figure it out at the end of the season.
Thanks for everyones ideas, if you have any more in the next few days let me know.
It s shooting my 380grn gold tip 5575's at 241fps at 55 lbs. I got this bow because it was fast at my short DL of 26.5, sure is a shame I can't get this figured out.
Bryan
Ya' missed a step or two.... you still need to twist the cables a bit... and probably untwist the string a bit... I don't know what it might cost you to call me but it is a simple fix... to get it to 60 lbs... PM me if you want to speak in person and I'll explain it ...

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I will definately do that. He said he could put a few twists in and maybe gain a lb or two but he untwisted so much to acheive the optimum settings thats how it ended up.
Please send me a pm on the fix, i'm getting incredibly fed up with this.
Bryan

·
Registered
9,509 Posts
Javi

You know if it wasn't for JAVI, all of us Hoyt bow owners would be up a creek without a paddle.
Thank again JAVI :shade:

·
Registered
808 Posts
hansel said:
You know if it wasn't for JAVI, all of us Hoyt bow owners would be up a creek without a paddle.
Thank again JAVI :shade:
Again, thanks Javi. In the last couple of weeks, I've used your advise on here to fine tune my RazorTec, my son's Havoctec, and my friend's X-Tec and they all are shooting better than they ever have. You sometimes help us in the background with out even knowing it. :thumbs_up

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I would definatley be screwed without Javi, my bow still isn't right but it hasn't been better since getting info from Javi, still working on it, I think its still one for hoyt to deal with though.

·
Banned
3,502 Posts
javi

Sounds like that bow just got javisized :D Good job Javi :thumbs_up

1 - 20 of 20 Posts