Archery Talk Forum banner

about to pull my hair out tuning...HELP!!

860 Views 10 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  deermaster
marin bengal, 58lbs , 30" draw, 30" 340 epic, 125 grain tip. all fletch/rest contact is eliminated, i am shooting as torque free as possible, my trohpy taker comes up about the last 1 1/2" of the draw. i am paper tuning at 8', and have a 1" weak tear. my rest windage is maxed out, and i dont know what else to do. thanks for any help, i really need it!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
2,418 Posts
Paper tuning is an on-off kinda thing. Just because you are getting a tear in the paper, doesnt mean your arrow isn't leaving the bow straight. If you have ever watched an arrow leave a bow in slow motion, there is significant flex in the arrow, even for a release shooter. If the arrow is flexed as it goes through the paper, then it may show a tear, when in fact, the point and fletching are in perfect alignment. Is the arrow visibly flying badly?

However, your setup does sound like a significantly weak arrow, based on your description of the arrow.

· Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
by walk back tuning, you mean make sure it hits vertically inline at all distances with a fletched shaft?

· Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i set my bow at 64 lbs, the weight i wanted in the begining, set my rest back to its normal center shot, got a bareshaft and a fletched shaft, and had them clicking together at 20 yards in about 10 minutes. i have always bareshafted, but wanted to try paper tuning thinking i would get the same results, but nooooooo....lol. thanks for the help!

· Registered
246 Posts
i set my bow at 64 lbs, the weight i wanted in the begining, set my rest back to its normal center shot, got a bareshaft and a fletched shaft, and had them clicking together at 20 yards in about 10 minutes. i have always bareshafted, but wanted to try paper tuning thinking i would get the same results, but nooooooo....lol. thanks for the help!
I was under the assumption that you do not bareshaft test compounds.That it was for recurves, and figer shooter. but do not know for sure

· Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was under the assumption that you do not bareshaft test compounds.That it was for recurves, and figer shooter. but do not know for sure
a perfectly tuned bow (any kind) will shoot a bare FIELD POINT shaft the same as a fletched shaft.

· Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Have you experimented with arrow rest height (and nocking point height)?
yep, its all fixed. the problem was an overspined arrow that appeared too weak when shot through paper, but instently showed up with the bare shaft. i just shot a bareshaft, a fletched shaft, and a breoad head at 30 yards, and all were in a 4" circle. after the fine tuning, they should be 3" or better!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.