Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If 3rd axis is important for angled shots in field archery, why then would it not be important for the angles shot from a treestand? Would it be because the distances are so much shorter? I was wondering because I may buy a Spot Hogg Hogg it for treestand hunting, or is this overkill (pun intended)!! In the past I have kept my effective distance in a treestand to 20 yards with much success. But this summer I have decided to increase that since I have learned BT and my shooting has really improved. My confidence in a 30 yard shoot is good. Any help will be great!

·
Registered
756 Posts
Third Axis.

Bowgal:

In my experience in hunting from tree stands, it is my humble opinion that the 3rd axis is not critical up to 30 yards. The difference between a sight with and without at that distance is probably not more than one to two inches at the most.

Alaska Sam:

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I think that you should attempt an experiment, just for fun. Go into a tree, and have a friend drag a target around to different distances, and shoot it, taking careful notes of where the arrow lands.

This will also be good practice for you shooting at such extreme angles, etc.

kgk

·
Registered
800 Posts
I agree with Sam. The kill zone, even on a small deer is larger than the typical bull/"X" shot at in Field Archery or 3D (at the same distance). Not that accuracy isn't very important when hunting...

In my case, "buck fever" and many other scenarios (like holding at full draw waiting for a deer to step out from behind a tree) are much more likely to cause accuracy problems when hunting! :eek:

Just a side note:

My suggestion, especially if you are using a true BT release...get plenty of practice shooting down from a stand or platform before the season starts. FWIW, many of the target shooters using true BT style releases (that I know) switch to some type of trigger release for hunting. They want the shot to got off a bit faster when hunting (vs. target shooting), and shooting on demand is easier for most to accomplish with a trigger style release...

Charlie

1 - 5 of 5 Posts