Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone please help! I'm having problems with my vanes not sticking to the AC Kinetic II shafts.I use fletchtite glue,clean them with acetone, alcohol, soap and water and nothing seems to work,I clean the vanes also but to no avail,they just keep coming off with the slightest pull. I even let the glue dry overnight,and no luck.I tried contacting Easton,but can't find a technical adviser on their web sight.Does anybody else have this problem?Anyone know how I can get a hold of someone at Easton?Thanks in advance for your help,I know you folks out there have the answer!Louie.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Where is the glue separating - does it stay on the vane, or on the shaft?

You may want to recheck the basics:

- Is your glue relatively new?

- Pure alcohol, not rubbing alcohol.

- Clean dry cloth to apply alcohol - no paper towels, TP, or cotton balls, even white. (I use an old tee shirt that I wash without fabric softeners, etc.)

- Everything should be dry when you apply the glue - no alcohol residue.

- Try not to glue in high humidity - can interfere with adhesion.

- Leave the vanes in the jig long enough (5-10 minutes minimum).

- Correct amount of glue with a bead along the legth of the base of the vane.

- Avoiding temperature changes?

- Is your jig clean?

Hope this helps.

Scott

·
Registered
118 Posts
Louie-

I've fletched KeneticII shafts with both feathers and Flex Fletch vanes. I clean the shaft and FF vanes with D-alchohol and then apply them with Goat Tuff glue...they set quickly and hold fine for me. Are you using vanes that need to be cleaned? At any rate, it is not the shaft. Maybe cresting wraps would solve your problem??

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
AC

The glue is sticking mainly to the vanes,I have done all your suggestions,they still peel off real easy.My wife is helping now,she is trying goat-tuff to see how this works!I think it has to do with the finish on these shafts.I might try sanding the finish a little but I hate to ruin an expensive shaft.Thanks for your replies, keep'em coming,Louie.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Wife To The Rescue:D
I told him to try the Goat Tuff , but he wouldnt listen to me, GO FIGURE. You think by now he would of learned Im always right!!!!I cleaned and washed and dryed the shafts and applied the vanes with Goat Tuff and they came out great.
We both tried using Bohning Fletch Tite and the vanes just kept coming right off, I used the same tube of glue to refletch my Gold Tips and they came out great, and I did them all inside the house with the Central AC on so there wasnt to much humidity, the vanes are Arizonas the same that I used on my Gold Tips and I cleaned all the shafts the same, The only difference I can notice on visual examination is the Kenetics have a slick and shiny finish compared to the more rough finished and porus looking Gold Tips, but alas thats just a guess, I dont know the reason for the differing results:confused:

Deborah KF:p

·
Registered
642 Posts
I've had the same problems with my Easton Redlines. My cure was to lightly sand off that shiny finish on the shaft where I was applying the vanes and then clean the shaft and vane base with MEK and have had no problems since ;) Oh ya and I quit using Duravanes :p

·
Registered
6,311 Posts
Louie, if you ever want to use feathers I would recommend the Bohning fletching tape.
Btw, I found the finish of the Kinetic II still to be rough, causing a whole lotta noise on my arrowrest. I've smoothen the surface with chrome polishing paste and a soft towel. Now they are really quiet on the rest (without the inconsistent shrink tubing) and I had never problems to keep the fletches on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts