Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just ordered a Parker Cyclone. Being very new to crossbows have a few questions. After reading all the posts I am a little confused and need some clarification. Arrows, seems that most carbons are the choice. Broadheads, too many suggestions. Although 2 blade seems to fly better? Total arrow weight for this crossbow should be 425 gr. FOC seems to be important but what total gr as opposed to overall arrow weight? My hunting distance is an average of 30 yds some shots could go to 40. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. :confused:

·
Incureable tinkerer
4,257 Posts
Greetings fellow Cyclone shooter, you're gonnna like this bow.
I've tried several combination for arrow. Settled on carbons, Gold Tip Laze II to be exact, with 110 gr brass inserts and 2" Blazers. These weigh 430 grns with a 125 grn head and give me great performance due to their high FOC (20%).
As for heads, I'm using Slick Tricks mags. They are low profile (short) and 4 bladed, which is important in crossbows IMO. I found large, and esp 2 bladed, heads to plane unpredictably on the rather short arrows that crossbows shoot. Most importantly, Slicks give me great terminal performance. This combination shoots so close to point of impact for comparably weighted filed tipped arrows that I no longer even practice with broadheads.
Good luck.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Parker Info

Thanks Cossack 2 for the info. Will try this combo.:wink:
One more question are the 2" Blazers vanes? Are they straight or helical left or right?

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
I have dropped the weight down to 100 grs. and got more speed and no difference in flight. I tried 85 grs too light! I am also fletching low profile dura vane predators. I have a few of my customers that are asking me to fletch fusion vanes and that is what I am doing now. Do you know there is a deluxe rope cocking device, so much better than the standard. It has red rollers that will roll against the stock and will keep from marring your stock. I only stock these now.
The energy that your xbow puts out will open a mech head as soon as you touch the trigger, not delivery the same accuracy.

·
Vendor
5,694 Posts
"The energy that your xbow puts out will open a mech head as soon as you touch the trigger, not delivery the same accuracy. "

Thats not true...Ive used Spitfires among others with no problem...
OH, Blazers are set at a high offset (techicaly a helical). I use right hand so the broadhead does not loosen when it hits the target as it will still be spinning

Wyvern

·
Incureable tinkerer
4,257 Posts
"I have dropped the weight down to 100 grs. and got more speed and no difference in flight. I tried 85 grs too light!"
Parker specs for the bow call for an arrow at least 425 grs. An arrow that weight hit 355fps from my bow. Lighter may be faster but it's much harder on the bow .....and may void the warranty as well if failure occurs.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you. You have all been very helpful. I will go with the Gold Tip Laser II & 100gr heads. Will definetly try the Slick Tricks never cared for the mechanicals.

·
Incureable tinkerer
4,257 Posts
With 100m gr heads they will weigh 405 grs..i.e.below recommended weight. Suggest you try 125s.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts