Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question I just tried the new Rocket altamate steel 125gr. heads and they fly great. I am getting better groups out to 50 yards. I have been shooting the 125gr. three blade Muzzys with the 1 and 3/16 inch cutting dia. at 30 yards I have been getting 8" groups and with the 125gr 3 blade 1 and 1/16 inch cutting diameter rockets I am hitting 5" groups at 30 yards. I will be going elk hunting soon and witch heads should I use? 1&1/16 with accuracy and confidence or 1&3/16 with better cutting diameter. Thank You

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
BOTH! Get the Rocket Slammerheads!

Bo

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hunt....

I'd use the Ultimate Steels! Hands down the diam. aint going to matter if'n it dont hit the mark! I also have seen the tests that Larry Rooks did on durability these new Rocket Ult.--were awesome...I like Muzzys OK but used to shoot Wasp I changed to the G5Montecs ...I would go w/ the Ultimates as far as accuracy.

Bohunter...them Slammerheads are awesome too!!
Larry Rooks shot a hog with one he said and I quote"that thing went thru him like I was paper-tuning a bow"

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Accuracy and shot placement is far more important than cutting diameter.

If you can't hit the spot, doesn't matter what you are shooting...

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Darn you guys!!!!!!

Can't I hit where I want and have a hole the size of a barn door too?!

·
Registered
852 Posts
To me, in order of importance:

(1) Accuracy
(2) Penetration(would be more of a consideration if I weren't getting consistant pass-throughs)
(3) Durability(I want the thing to hold together)
(4) Cutting diameter

- georgestrings

·
Registered
94 Posts
The other option would be to look into the Rocket Steelheads mechanical 125gr.

Larry Rooks is a very knowledgeable and experienced man! He conducted a durability/penetration test and the Steelhead mechanical outperformed in both categories (pen/dur) all of the fixed bl. heads except for the Ultimate Steel. SOOOO, there you have it cut.dia. and superb flight + excellent penetration!

I have tested the steelheads beside my wasp sst's in a brand new Carbon Block target penetration depth was about the same
it really amazed me!

Although, my G5's outpenetrated them all would hardly stay in the target...and since you are hunting elk I would be sensitive to penetration....I would not be afraid to shoot the Steelheads at all!! JMO

·
74,535 Posts
Accuracy

I will always take double lung shot. I sshoot 75grn heads. They fly great. I shoot the SST Wasp. Just won state broadhead shoot. Works for me!

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
The higher level of confidence--Accuracy. The cutting diameter is fine. Don't worry about that. Just shootem where you are suppose to.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Go for accuracy. I doubt there's a head made with a cutting diameter that's too small. Like kildog said, a 1/2" hole smack in the boiler room would do the job.

peashooter

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Diver, personally I always enjoy getting a bit of tail. :eek:

·
Registered
999 Posts
8 inch groups at 30 yds? I don't think it's all the size of the broadhead that is your problem. You might not be tuned perfectly or you maybe should spin test your arrows w/ heads and see if they are straight. You should be able to get better than 8 inchs at 30 yds with most any head. But if one gives you more confidence then go with that. But I'd look at your setup first.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts