Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Is there any threat to making the o-rings, hoses, seals, etc.... in the fuel sysem brittle? I would hate to have my diesel pickup start leaking because of something I put in the tank.

·
Registered
8,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BigD_N_Cherokee said:
Is there any threat to making the o-rings, hoses, seals, etc.... in the fuel sysem brittle? I would hate to have my diesel pickup start leaking because of something I put in the tank.
No! All the research that I have done says that researchers have soaked o-rings, diaphrams, fuel line, etc.. in different concentrations of Acetone/Fuel for years with no ill affects. The 3 oz. to 10 gal. ratio is so minimal that it will not affect anything. Most of the false claims have been based from the petroleum companies. You can gain anywhere from 15% to 35% in mpg!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Acetone

Watched Mythbusters a while back,They tested acetone along with some other "miracle" Milage boosters. They could'nt get any better milage from any of them.

·
2nd Amend. Don't lose it
21,771 Posts
Hello Heilman,

HM>>Most of the false claims have been based from the petroleum companies. You can gain anywhere from 15% to 35% in mpg!<<

One thing you must learn....*anything* you ADD or do to your present fuel system will NOT affect your gas milage. No magnets, no additives, no nothing. *Unless* you have dirty lines, and need to have your injectors cleaned for better spray, or your carborater cleaned. After that initial cleaning, you will not get any better of a gas milage.

These rumors have been going around for years... Since who knows when... Since the 50's that I know of.

Want to make a change in gas milage? Fill up in the early morning, NOT after you get off work. Fuel expands with heat For the big diesels (that use a lot of gallons) it can make a small difference in Gas milage. In some countries, they measure Gallons by the temperature of the fuel for this very reason.

Dwayne

·
Registered
8,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2.5SHOT said:
Watched Mythbusters a while back,They tested acetone along with some other "miracle" Milage boosters. They could'nt get any better milage from any of them.
I saw the same thing on Myth Busters! I even found various articles on the internet that it was inaccurate. Heck, I even watched Myth Busters must the myth of "robinhooding" and arrow. I lost a great deal of faith in that show after watching that archery experiment, I could have done a more accurate experiment with my 7th grade students.

However, a friend of mine has been doing the Acetone thing for 2 months now. His car usually got 18 city and 23 hwy. He has been adding 3 oz per 10 gallons and "swears" that he has consistently gotten 23 city/31 hwy out of every tank.

·
Registered
17,864 Posts
One thing you must learn....*anything* you ADD or do to your present fuel system will NOT affect your gas milage.
I use acetone in my water torch alcohol canister, I assume to make the alcohol fume better.
Acetone is also highly flammable by itself.

But I agree with the above that a few oz in 10gal isn't going to do anything. A high enough concentration to do something probably would harm something.

·
Registered
8,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Acetone is a very slow burning additive. The purpose is to change the surface tension of the gasoline to allow for better vaporization at ignition. Supposedly, it can increase emissions a great deal too because you have less raw fuel ppm being expelled.

I have not done it yet, but I am curious! I guess that I will be the guinea pig and report back to you guys.

·
2nd Amend. Don't lose it
21,771 Posts
Acetone is a very slow burning additive. The purpose is to change the surface tension of the gasoline to allow for better vaporization at ignition. Supposedly, it can increase emissions a great deal too because you have less raw fuel ppm being expelled.
:confused:

Ok, slow burning additive...

1. You have less gas in the cylinder.
2. You have a increase in emission.

So you claim less raw fuel being burned.

Well...think of it this way... you can do the same thing by decreasing your timing in your car.

Another way... Slower burn, more exaust, usually means less power (per se) out of the engine (that is why your ignition is timed (BEFORE TOP DEAD CENTER))

Here is my suggestion:

1. Run injector cleaner through your system.
2. Change your airfilter.
3. Change and gap your plugs.

You should see an increase in Gas Milage.

About the acitone? Quit feeding them money for the BS that is being put out there.

Dwayne

·
Registered
182 Posts
Gas only expands about .0001% per degree celsius so even if it goes from freezing to 10 degrees celsius and you fill up a 20 gal tank you will get less than a quart of extra fuel in the tank which if the fuel then expands could end up saturating an expensive vaper canister anyway. Not to mention that the fuel is warmed when it gets into the engine compartment. Besides unless the engine compensates for the denser fuel it would actually be putting more into the engine if it where cold and dense.

·
Registered
8,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
BigD_N_Cherokee said:
I get better mileage in my toyota avalon with premium gas than i do with regular. Why is that?

BigD
The higher the octane gas, the cooler the "explosion" within the engine. Higher octane (anti-knock index) gas burns slower. Every vehicle is different, some get better fuel mileage with premium vs. regular gas, some don't! Your owners manual will specify what fuel yur car requires. My truck gets absolutely no difference in mpg between premium and regular.

·
2nd Amend. Don't lose it
21,771 Posts
Just be aware, that Gas Milage varies by every tank.

I *always* check *every* tank of gas for its milage.

I vary between 30 and 35 highway, and a occasional 37. During the city, I vary between 30 and 33. That alone is a 10 percent difference, and up to 22 percent difference on the highway.

This last weekend I took my other car and got 22 highway going up and 25 highway coming back. That is easily 15 percent difference. So whichever it ends up for you, One tank isn't going to say a whole lot.

Dwayne

·
Registered
11,796 Posts
My truck has an economy reading which tells me the average MPG I am getting. This is combined Highway/ City, but I do most of my driving on highways. I use regular unleaded gasoline. I drive a 2000 Mercury Mountaineer, V8.

I was getting @ 18.7 MPG, but I suspect this will increase as I had to replace the fuel neck a couple weeks ago, as it turned out to be corroded:mad: FUBAR! A small hole opened up in it which set of the check engine light AND the check fuel cap light. So I am curious to know whether my mileage will increase with this repair. I should know something in a couple weeks more.

As for any additives, I am a skeptic for certain. Acetone does little, IMHO. I have seen improvements in economy with using higher octane fuels, but the ROI is not significant enough to spend an additional $0.20 or $0.30/ gal for an extra mile or two or three per gallon. When I do opt to add something to gasoline, it is usually STP Gas Treatment for cleaning the injectors. That's about the only reason I add something to the fuel.

I am also a major skeptic of those oil additives, like Slick 50 and the like. These tend to screw with gaskets, like oil gaskets, causing leask and high repair bills. JUst keep the oil changed regularly, air filter changed regularly, and replace the spark plugs every 30,000 miles or less and you will keep that engine running at about as peak economy as you can get it.

Oh yeah, I do a lot of towing me boat, so my economy will always be a bit lower than advertsied.

·
Registered
8,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
DwayneR said:
Just be aware, that Gas Milage varies by every tank.
One tank isn't going to say a whole lot.

Dwayne
I agree! The info would be based on an average of maybe 5-6 tanks. My truck consistently gets about 325 miles per tank (25 gallons).

·
Registered
8,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
doctariAFC said:
and replace the spark plugs every 30,000 miles or less and you will keep that engine running at about as peak economy as you can get it.
30,000 is old school standard plugs. Todays vehicles with Platinum or Iridium plugs are good for 85,000 to 100,000 miles

·
Registered
11,796 Posts
heilman181 said:
30,000 is old school standard plugs. Todays vehicles with Platinum or Iridium plugs are good for 85,000 to 100,000 miles
I know, but I don't like running any longer that 45K or 50K on any spark plug. Hell, they're still cheap enough to change every 15K! Plus, they make for great sinkers in the Lower Niagara River (joking...)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts