Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received my bitz from Cabelas. I did a search for what was needed to prep the arrow for gluing on the vane. Some say acetone but I also read where acetone may break down the binding agent in the carbon arrows. Some say alcohol and some say use fine sandpaper or scotchbrite pads. Could someone tell me what is the best and safest. Thanks.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I scotchbrite and then use alcohol to clean. Works great for me. After I clean them I try not to touch them with my hands in the area wear the glue will be applied to avoid the oils messing up the glue.

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
you can use either. If you use acetone dont soak the shaft , just put some on a cloth and rub it till it breaks down the glue. I always use acetone on my fletchings and shafts. never had a problem.

·
Registered
12,739 Posts
I use denatured alcohol and then after that, I use hot water and dawn dishsoap and let them dry after I rinse. My vanes never come off...ever. This method is very safe!! Don't touch the areas you clean with your hands!! Don't use a towel to dry them off.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I scrape my old fletchings off with a pocket knife, wipe the dust off with my fingers and refletch. Never had an issue with bonding problems.

I'm not sure what the hype is all about with cleaning the shafts. Maybe someone is marketing a cleaning compound and needs to send their kids to college. But I am not supporting those kids. I paid my own way through college and so can they! LOL

I fletch feathers on carbon (Axis Obsessions). Maybe that's different. But I've never had a problem with them sticking.

Nate

·
Registered
36,982 Posts
Acetone works well , but just do not soak the rag or the shaft , use a damp cloth and you will be fine ..

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Ive used both also

Ive used both myself and havnt had any problems... also know if your fletching is preped on not, if not use some to clean the fletchings also, if they havent been preped they usually have a light coat of oil on them and will not stick worth a darn, until cleaned!!!

·
Registered
34,166 Posts
I use Acetone.....and when I am out I will use alcohol. But there is nothing wrong with using acetone as long as you don't soak the arrow in it (like others have said). It also helps to remove extra glue from the vanes or the wraps.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Nosdog2 said:
I scotchbrite and then use alcohol to clean. Works great for me. After I clean them I try not to touch them with my hands in the area wear the glue will be applied to avoid the oils messing up the glue.
This is safest way.. also as mentioned by other, wash in soapy water, but I would do before alcohol cleaning.

do not forget to clean insode as well when gluing.

·
Take a BITE out of Crime!
2,223 Posts
Acetone

I use acetone. Why not soak the shafts? I have soaked several to get off glue and left over vane and have had no problems.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I use acetone on all of the arrows in my shop, regular rubbing alcohol contains some oils, if you use alcohol make sure it is denatured, it does not contain any oils. I also scuff carbon shafts with a scotch brite pad before cleaning, this gives the glue something to bite onto. Some fletching companies require you do clean the base of the vane also, some have a chemical applied to the base that is designed to work with certain glues. Check to see what you need before jumping in and fletching up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts