Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i guess the answer to this question comes down to how many mast producing oaks you and your neighbors have.

i have a noticed that my usual bean hot spot foot plot (about 2.5 acres) has all but turned off by evidence of empty time lapse cams. i have lots of big mature oaks - whites, reds, blacks and burrs. my woods are literally covered everywhere, and so are the neighbors in all directions.

how many have you get frustrated by tons of acorns? it sure sounds easy to hunt them- "set up on white oaks!" but with the woods that thick with them, the deer dont have to move much to find food.

maybe next year i'll fertilize a select few with the hopes to just have way more (and way sweeter) acorns than the rest of the area.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
I hear ya. It's a curse for me, but with them and my plots, it sure puts the fat on them. Only good thing about my area in NY is lots of them are gone by 10/15 when we get to hunt. When we start to get frost it doesn't matter because they walk over them to get to my feed plots!

·
wannabtradguy
15,322 Posts
we have so many acorns every year its unbelievable. very difficult to hunt but we have some fat deer. good thing is we have so many deer its rare to hunt a morning or evening and not see a couple at least. they do tend to walk the roads cause its easy to scoop em up as well.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i know deer dont prefer burr oaks, but once they are out of their giant fuzzy hat, do they prefer them then? they are after all in the white oak family.

·
Registered
6,594 Posts
acorns can be tough when they are everywhere, but when your on public land and you dont have food plots or crop fields to hunt they are about the only thing you have to hunt in the early season. Last year I didnt hunt a single set before the rut started that wasn't on oaks (pref white) in some way and i saw decent deer numbers given PA public.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts