Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to the farm this morning to do some last minute things before seasons & found acorns by the hundreds on the ground in the trees :) .The sad thing is we did loose one oak by our camp site that was about 4 and ahalf feet around :sad: the deer will be eating good there for days to come.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
194 Posts
I think we have a good acorn crop in Arkansas as well. I even threw a little fertilizer out around two white oaks today, maybe that will help them get an early start next year.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,137 Posts
hung 3 stands today and was suprised at the amount of acorns. not like last season but still very good to see this many already.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,356 Posts
BigBucks125 said:
hung 3 stands today and was suprised at the amount of acorns. not like last season but still very good to see this many already.
I've noticed alot on the ground already. I hope some stay up until I can get in my treestand :tongue:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,328 Posts
While last year was a record mast crop for us here in my region of Illinois, this season appears to be totally opposite! Hardly any of the Oaks I've seen have any acorns. About the only Oak I've seen with acorns is actually in the neighbors yard!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,159 Posts
Less mass crop here this year as well in our area but I like that as it makes the deer more concentrated in a couple of the areas I hunt.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,328 Posts
GSLAM95 said:
Less mass crop here this year as well in our area but I like that as it makes the deer more concentrated in a couple of the areas I hunt.
AMEN! Last year was horrible! The deer roamed though the woods in wandering waves instead of any predictable trails because the acorns were raining everywhere. This season with the noticable lack of, they should be predictably keying in more on Ag crops and my foodplots!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,745 Posts
Cornfed said:
While last year was a record mast crop for us here in my region of Illinois, this season appears to be totally opposite! Hardly any of the Oaks I've seen have any acorns.
We are in the same boat! We had a drought this year and it has effect our acorn mast!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
837 Posts
I'm seeing a good crop here in SW NC, alot better than last year, which was thin here.:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,538 Posts
Looks like a pretty good crop here again. Last year was unreal.

I was surprised to see as many on the ground as did yesterday, mostly reds though. With so many crops still up, they hadn't been hit very hard, nor had the apples on the ground under a very productive tree.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top