Archery Talk Forum banner

Acorns in southern Illinois???

480 Views 7 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  cutonimpact
I am heading up to Calhoun County, Illinois in three weeks and was wondering if there are any acorns this year??
Anyone have some good intel??
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
540 Posts
?

Ya it was a weird year this year in my kneck of the woods I Hunt down around Elkville. The acorns dropped real early like mid sept. however they are still dropping right now but the trees are pretty bare around me. The deer sign is all over my acorn trees. I shot a doe opening day and she was munching and tearing the acorns up. good luck hoped that helped. However if it comes down to acorns or corn they are still eating more corn right now.

· Registered
Prime Black Bow
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good point. So you think I should plan on hunting the food plots/corn instead of heading in the woods?

· Registered
Prime Black Bow
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I am thinking about morning hunts. Just thought if there were acorns the does would hang out in the woods a bit before bedding down.
Evening hunts are pretty easy: scrape lines and food plots.

So you think Oct.29-Nov.5 will be the full blown rut or more of the pre-rut?

· Registered
1,224 Posts
Yeah, I am thinking about morning hunts. Just thought if there were acorns the does would hang out in the woods a bit before bedding down.
Evening hunts are pretty easy: scrape lines and food plots.

So you think Oct.29-Nov.5 will be the full blown rut or more of the pre-rut?
nov 5 is prime time...most of the bucks ive taken in illinois have been the first week of nov.

· Registered
Prime Black Bow
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So when I am there the bucks will be checking scrapes and will start chasing does?
Funnels and scrape lines the best advice?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.