Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont really know whether I like when we have a good acorn crop or not. Last year (like this year) this region has seen a good crop (Tons of Oaks around here). Saw a good share of deer activity but I think I see better movement when they have to scavange for food a little harder and farther. Just my recent observation over the past few years. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
That is gospel, same here in SE Ohio, last year you couldn't walk for acorns and the deer didn't have to move any at all to satisfiy there hunger, hence just didn't see that many, never even got a shot here in Ohio.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
I never like seeing a good acorn crop it just makes for tougher hunting. Compared to when you have only a few oaks that have acorns the deer are easier to pattern and more likely to hit the food plots and ag fields more often. I love hunting the oak flats when only a few trees are dropping acorns because then you get to see most every deer in the area.

·
The Impartial Archer
18,310 Posts
buckhunter2054 said:
I never like seeing a good acorn crop it just makes for tougher hunting. Compared to when you have only a few oaks that have acorns the deer are easier to pattern and more likely to hit the food plots and ag fields more often. I love hunting the oak flats when only a few trees are dropping acorns because then you get to see most every deer in the area.
I'm with him.

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
It is tuffer to hunt but I will VOTE for a GOOD acorn crop. Deer become healthier and the next year antler growth seems to improve.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Where I hunt it dosn't change much, they have clusters of oak trees and so if your in one of the clusters your usually good to go. I could see where it would be trouble if you had acres on acres of oak trees dropping acorns...that would make it a little hard to narrow down your stand locations!

:eek:

·
Registered
518 Posts
any good ways to check bottom on acorn trees for signs of deer feeding other then the obvious footprints or cameras?

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
my .02 cents!

Pingstar1975 said:
any good ways to check bottom on acorn trees for signs of deer feeding other then the obvious footprints or cameras?
I have seen deer paw around a little (A la turkey style) not as intense as gobblers. So aside from seeing cracked shells, little ground disturbance tells me deer are feeding

1 - 8 of 8 Posts