Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok. i think it is safe to say deer love the acorns in any region. My questions is, have any of you tried harvesting acorns and dumping them in an area with no oaks or very few acorns on the ground. If so, how did the deer respond to them? I am asking because i have a few oaks in my yard that have thousands of acorns on them and one of my favorite tree stands have very few around them. thanks

·
Registered
121 Posts
I would also like to hear any thing people have tried with acorns. I have a few trees in my yard that produce a large amount every year

·
Registered
894 Posts
Oh it works.....I have some white oaks close to my house and the cows keep the ground underneath worn out so the acorns are easy to collect. Dumping them all in a pile is like heaven for a deer.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
It will work but if you hunt close to where you dump them be sure to check your state regs. In Ms it is illegal to move a food source and hunt over it. ie. you can't move corn from the field to a pine thicket and hunt over it. Goes for acorns as well.

·
Registered
532 Posts
It will work but if you hunt close to where you dump them be sure to check your state regs. In Ms it is illegal to move a food source and hunt over it. ie. you can't move corn from the field to a pine thicket and hunt over it. Goes for acorns as well.
Considered baiting in MN as well. I guess I would ask why not just hunt where the oak trees are rather then going through the work of collecting them? Plus the sound of acorns hitting the ground is as close to a dinner bell as you can get for deer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts