Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if someone could help me out, which I am sure many of you can.

I was out scouting this morning and I was wondering, do white oaks only produce acorns every other year? I thought that I had heard that somewhere, and reds produce every year I thought.

Just kind of curious if I can count on the whites in this new area to be a bangin' spot deer to be feeding when October 1 rolls around. And if so when do they start droping?

Thanks,

BTG19

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
The Red and White Oaks common in your area produce every year but last year we had a bumper crop and can expect a smaller mast crop this year (very scarce in my area).

If you can find a producing White Oak (deer's favorite) hunt it.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What is a bumper crop? Good or bad?

BTG19

·
Registered
11,484 Posts
I have found that in years of a low mast crop all you have to do is find one good tree and you are set for early bow season. Found some White Oaks yesterday that are going to have a good crop. Late sept. they start falling pretty good here. Early Oct. is the time to hunt White Oaks, Reds are usually a little later here.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MeanV2, how do you know if a tree is going to have a good crop or not. I tried to look up into the tree with my binocs and I couldnt find an acrorns.

BTG19

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ttt

·
Registered
837 Posts
You are doing what I do. Looking in the tops of trees with bino's. Sometimes you have to stare awhile before they appear.:)

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
BogeyMan said:
You are doing what I do. Looking in the tops of trees with bino's. Sometimes you have to stare awhile before they appear.:)
So what you are trying to say is that even though i looked and couldnt find them they are there, i maybe just need to look harder?

I guess i did find a red oak that had dropped a few already and i looked up in that and i didnt see any there either. So maybe i am just over looking them.

BTG19

·
Registered
11,484 Posts
bowtechguy19 said:
MeanV2, how do you know if a tree is going to have a good crop or not. I tried to look up into the tree with my binocs and I couldnt find an acrorns.

BTG19
Depends on the tree. One yesterday I could see with my bare eyes and the other binocs, but if you can't find them on a tree right now with binocs chances are look to another tree. You do have to look for a mimute but once you see them they stand out:)

·
Registered
307 Posts
In the area I hunt, the years with big mast crops provide the best bowhunting action. I hunt broken farm country and the bucks will start to feed earlier in the day and later into the morning because of the cover. In years where there isn't a large mast they forage mainly in fields.

The key to hunting oaks is locating the productive trees. White oaks are perferred to red oaks and the trees that are dropping their mast in the heaviest cover will be your best bet.

This year's acorn crop in central wisconsin looks great.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts