Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my Halon 6 yesterday and shot it through the chrono in the shop. 70 pound, 30 inch draw, exactly 350 grain arrow shot 323 twice and 324 once. This was with a string loop and peep sight and the factory monkey tails. The bow has been set for 85 pct let off. These are real results from someone that has not stock in Mathews or any other bow company and I don't own a bow shop. I have had numerous bows of every brand and for some reason get a new one almost every year. I can honestly say that this Halon is the best feeling bow I have ever had. I shot several others and the Halon was an easy choice for me. That being said several of the other bows were very nice and had particular things I liked, but the Halon to me had more. I have never owned a Mathews and have done some serious trash talking about them in the past. My friends will never forgive me for buying one hahha, but that will be their problem when Im dragging deer out of the woods.

· Registered
5,414 Posts
I got 303 at 27dl 352 grain arrow, most reviews I have seen and read have it making it's stated ibo. Yours is really slow? I would have that checked out badly out of tune are a really low reading chronograph?

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Didn't seem slow to me the IBO rating for The 85 pct let off is probably around 340. I figured with the extra weight on the string should take off about 15 to 20 fps. seems pretty close to Ibo to me. Perfectly tuned, shoots bullet holes through paper and shoots fixed blade broadheads perfectly.

· Registered
5,414 Posts
My bad sorry brain fart this morning did not take into account the extra weight on the string! But that still sounds low even with the extra weight on the string?

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK lol you scared me for a minute. I got calculator out and started trying to figure out. Im not sure what size arrow im gonna use, the bow shop told me I was way under spined. Im sure by the charts I am but it shoots perfect bullet holes. Maxima blues 250 spine 28.5 long. I guess I should go to the 350 spine but I don't know why if it shoots as good as it does. Im not worried about arrow exploding, been shooting the same arrows in a Hoyt Turbo Nitrum for a year. Plus I have health insurance lol

· Registered
21,466 Posts
Didn't seem slow to me the IBO rating for The 85 pct let off is probably around 340. I figured with the extra weight on the string should take off about 15 to 20 fps. seems pretty close to Ibo to me. Perfectly tuned, shoots bullet holes through paper and shoots fixed blade broadheads perfectly.
You'd lose maybe 4fps for the peep and loop and maybe another 2-3 for the monkey tails. You'd still be coming in around 10fps slow of the IBO rating and then you can assume that the DL isn't drawing exactly 30", none ever do, so you can deduct another couple FPS from your total for the extra length over 30". Seems a little slow to me based on their published numbers but still not bad by any stretch. Ontarget7 posted a Halon thread and his was coming in a little slow too.

· Registered
3,844 Posts
I assume the above listed all come standard with 85% mods, is that right? Is is like the Chill X with mods and if so would 75% mods give you an additional 10 fps? Shot a Halen 6 yesterday at a bow shop and man that thing was silky smooth on the draw and the shot. I shoot my Chill X at around 62 lbs and 28.5" and the Halen 6 was a 70 lb bow turned down to 62 and 28". Shot arrows weighing in the 375 grain area around 285 fps. Sound right?

· Registered
1,057 Posts
Halon 6
You tube crono
30" draw
85% mods
70 lbs
422 grain arrow
313 fps
With a 350 grain arrow he got 338

1 - 20 of 90 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.