Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use 15ft. ladder stands for hunting. My question is I range find from the base of the tree, because my range finder does not accommodate for angle.
I know some of you have already figured it out, so for 20 and 30yrds., what is the actual yardage from a 15ft. tree stand? Thanks

·
Registered
20,621 Posts
rslscobra said:
I use 15ft. ladder stands for hunting. My question is I range find from the base of the tree, because my range finder does not accommodate for angle.
I know some of you have already figured it out, so for 20 and 30yrds., what is the actual yardage from a 15ft. tree stand? Thanks
If you bend at the waist when shooting from your stand, the difference would be negligible. Just use the corresponding pin.....and shoot!:)

Just to give yourself some added confidence, take a few practice shots from your stand prior to season.

For what it is worth, my hunting bow shoots 281fps, and from a 20' treestand, it appears that my point of impact is about 1" high at 20 yards. At 30 yards and beyond, I cannot notice any difference.:)

·
Registered
998 Posts
I agree, it gets complicated enough up there as it is. I have my bow tuned in at the yardage that my range finder spits out and I harvest deer. Get up a tree with your gear as though you are hunting and have someone move a target for you at different yardages and set your pins accordingly.

·
Registered
310 Posts
range higher up in the tree, same plane as you, that is the actual distance.

If your 15ft stand is on the side of a ridge, then thirty yards can be way off if you don't range the tree at your level.

On a stand I hunted often I would place laundry clips to mark yardages that I had preranged from the tree, been doing that since I was twelve and had only my feet for a rangefinder.

·
Registered
25 Posts
You can figure yardage out using the Pythagorean Theorem a2 + b2 = c2

For example if your treestand is 15 ft high (a2)
A tree from the base of your tree is 20 yards or 60 feet (b2)

Then you would square 15' /15x15=225'
Then you would square 60'/ 3600'
Add Those 225'+3600'=3825'
c2=3825'
Now find the square root of that 3825' squared is 62' (rounded)
3 divided into 62'=20.6 yards

Thats how you find actual yardage assuming that the ground is fairly level. Not a whole lot of difference. I Think:confused:

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
At our club I practice from the elevated platform and as long as I bend at the waist and not just lower my bow arm , I'm right there out to 40 yds. The farther out ,the eaiser it gets because you dont have to bend at the waist as much.

·
Registered
153 Posts
20yds on your range finder = 20.6 ballistic yards

30yds on your range finder = 30.4 ballistic yards

A totally negligable difference. I think many people get way too wrapped up with what is called "slope-dope" (compensating for the difference between true range and ballistic range). It is generally negligable.

·
NAASP
14,398 Posts
range

The closer the target, the more effect on impact.

20 yards and further, not a real issue.

10 yards, it's a issue. Both with impact deviation and the size of the target area reduced due to the angle increased.

·
Registered
998 Posts
ever in doubt, aim low.......

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
You could use a pendulum, along with the Dead On Rangefinder. While not PERFECTLY accurate, the Dead On Rangefinder is close enough for "guvvamint" work. If locked ground shots with one pin pendulums concerns you, you can always try a Pendulum Upgrade System.

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Big Country said:
If you bend at the waist when shooting from your stand, the difference would be negligible. Just use the corresponding pin.....and shoot!:)

Just to give yourself some added confidence, take a few practice shots from your stand prior to season.

For what it is worth, my hunting bow shoots 281fps, and from a 20' treestand, it appears that my point of impact is about 1" high at 20 yards. At 30 yards and beyond, I cannot notice any difference.:)

BC's second statement is on the money. Yes you should bend at the waist, but if that is not your style, then practice from your tree stand and you can tweek from there.

I tend to forget to "bend" so I just stay consistent and practice from my tree quite a bit. I sight in from up there.

It's kind of like if you always "fade" the ball with your driver while golfing. You can either think about correcting it or just play the fade.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts