Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When adding a stab to your set up,will that change the tune? I was tuning a hunting set up on a Gilo Ghost riser set @ 45 .lbs RC carbon wood limbs and shooting pretty good (not great) and remembered that I had not installed my new stab which is a eight inch bee stinger. When I installed the stab the arrows started fishtailing like really bad.They come close to the mark but arrow flight is crazy. I can only imagine what a board head will do. Shooting 1816 Easton camo lights with 125 field point @ 26.5 dl three four inch parabolic feathers. Thanks for your help Gary

·
Registered
501 Posts
Depending on the stab and weight on the stab. I need to go a spine weaker when using a stab.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20,780 Posts
Gary -

If we assume that your bow is about 41# at 26.5", the 1816s may be boarder line weak to begin with.
Adding the stab "may" or "may not" push them over the edge.

But yes, you do have to tune the rig the was it will be shot.

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bare planed the 1916 camo Easton lites and the shaft was weak by 12 " to right of fletched shaft. I would have thought the opposite.I did put a 100 gr. point on the 1916 and got it to hit left,course I had trimmed it back to 27 ",so I will revisit the 1916 @29" with a 100gr. point and see. With out the stab the 1816's fly well but do not group like I want and with a broad head they would be a night mare.

·
Civil but Disobedient
7,251 Posts
I have wondered about how much it changes the bow versus how much it changes the archer. The stabilizer will help prevent the bow from moving during the shot. Your tune includes this movement. Therefore, add stabilizing weight away from the riser and torque decreases.

I did a test and added a full vbar stabilizer to my barebow and lost 5 yards off my point on. It may have eliminated some of the rise I do(did) at the end of the shot that was a consequence of target panic. I am not sure since I needed the 5 yards and took the stablizer off.

I may try it again now that I am making some big improvements in the target panic area.

I am not saying that it does not change the bow, I am just adding that some of the impact may come from the archer. The bow and the archer are an integrated system.

·
Registered
20,780 Posts
Steve -

In my experience, like most stuff, the impact of stabs on arrow spine is less than most folks like to believe.
Unless of course, the shaft is borderline to begin with.

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
IMG_1716.jpg Went home for lunch and tried the 1916 with a 100 grain point and at twenty yards it flew with no wobbles or wiggles and took no effort to hit the mark.So now I have something to micro tune and will have to settle on a 100 grain broad head. Thanks for the help,Gary

1 - 8 of 8 Posts