Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can I add arrow weight to front of my arrow, other than a heavier BH.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Several options, my preference is the gold tip fact weight system. Of course they won't work in all arrows. We need more info on your arrows.

I do have to wonder how you don't know this with almost 6k posts here???

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
Fact weights are the easiest most convenient way, you can add and remove at will, no glue hassle or any thing. Change your mind, want to try more foc, decide you don’t want them. Add or remove, it’s that easy. It’s a good reason in its self to shoot gold tips imo. I keep lots of 20 and 50 gr. Weights on hand to mess with.

·
Registered
6,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Several options, my preference is the gold tip fact weight system. Of course they won't work in all arrows. We need more info on your arrows.

Fair question. I certainly do not real all the threads, far less than half of them, I suppose.

·
The Impartial Archer
17,854 Posts
Inserts but you need more spine the more weight you add up front. If you are stiff now then you could be ok but if you have a properly spined arrow now and you start adding weight to the front you'll get underspined quickly and do more harm than good.

We need a LOT more info to really help. Like draw weight, arrow length and arrow spine for starters.

·
Registered
10,943 Posts

if he hasn't been interested in the past, he probably doesn't follow the subject.

df06, what type of glue do you use for inserts? is removing them an option? ethics archery has lots of good components, it's likely they have what you're looking for. I shoot their stainless inserts, the ones I have in now are 200gr inserts.

another option is buy a field point test kit from 3 rivers archery, and shoot different weight points to dial in your arrow (rather than committing to a certain weight of insert), and either remove your current inserts or sell the arrows and start over

·
Registered
Bowtech Realm X and PSE Inertia 50lbs
3,894 Posts
Ethics archery outserts are awesome.
I have gone to the Ethics site several times in the last year due to someone mentioning the outsert.
I do not see the outserts for sale by themselves. It shows pictures of inserts with out-serts but not just outserts..
I, like the OP, have arrows already cut with inserts innstalled, so will these outserts work on already made arrows?
If so, how can we order them, it also does not give specs on the outserts themselves..

·
Registered
10,943 Posts
I have gone to the Ethics site several times in the last year due to someone mentioning the outsert.
I do not see the outserts for sale by themselves. It shows pictures of inserts with out-serts but not just outserts..
I, like the OP, have arrows already cut with inserts innstalled, so will these outserts work on already made arrows?
If so, how can we order them, it also does not give specs on the outserts themselves..
no, theirs is a 2pc system, you will need their inserts to use their sleeves, their insert/outserts are a design that both parts are needed. this is a scenario where the fact weights would be good for you.... now that you have inserts in your options are limited. I don't like the fact weights because they don't add any strength to the arrow, where the big stainless inserts i'm using do.

not saying there is anything wrong with the fact weight system, I think it's a great concept and works well, especially if you may want to mess with different weights and foc

·
Registered
6,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
if he hasn't been interested in the past, he probably doesn't follow the subject.

df06, what type of glue do you use for inserts? is removing them an option? ethics archery has lots of good components, it's likely they have what you're looking for. I shoot their stainless inserts, the ones I have in now are 200gr inserts.

another option is buy a field point test kit from 3 rivers archery, and shoot different weight points to dial in your arrow (rather than committing to a certain weight of insert), and either remove your current inserts or sell the arrows and start over

Thanks for your reply.
Inserts are not removable.
You and others have given me some places to look at options.
I appreciate your help.

·
The Ranch Fairy
911 Posts
pull knock and drop a drill bit inside. Sling it like a slide hammer.
You can usually bang inserts out.

·
Premium Member
1,633 Posts
Fact weights are the easiest most convenient way, you can add and remove at will, no glue hassle or any thing. Change your mind, want to try more foc, decide you don’t want them. Add or remove, it’s that easy. It’s a good reason in its self to shoot gold tips imo. I keep lots of 20 and 50 gr. Weights on hand to mess with.
Yes.. me too.. from 10-> ??? grains

Here's what I have in my VAP's right now. (goldtip pierce insert and ballistic collar)
I use hotmelt so I can get them of/on if necessary but haven't found a need to change that weight for hunting.
66grain_FACT.jpg

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
pull knock and drop a drill bit inside. Sling it like a slide hammer.
You can usually bang inserts out.
Yes , apply heat during process . They should pop out . Add brass inserts is what i would do . Cheap and easy .

·
The Impartial Archer
17,854 Posts
OP people are giving you a LOT of advice on how to add weight but again the bigger issue is can you afford to? You passed over my advice so I'll try again.

You might want to think about this before overloading the front of the arrow and having it break off in your arm because the spine is too weak. I'd be posting some numbers too make sure those arrows can handle the extra weight you intend to add.

Nothing wrong with high FOC arrows but you plan that into the build.....for example you don't add 100 grain inserts and 125 gain heads to 400 spine arrows at 70 pounds when before they might have been ok.

·
Registered
6,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks all, for the comments and recommendations.
Just because I have not responded to specific comments, does not mean I did not read or that I ignored the comment.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Not sure if this thread is still alive, but I'm asking the same question of my arrows in terms of adding weight.

Draw: 65 lbs / 29L
Arrows: Carbon Express Maxima Hunter Mathews Edition, 350, Built-in Weight Forward, cut down to 28.75"

I don't know all about how spine, etc works but here's what I found online.

Grains/Inch:* 8.0
Spine: 0.417"
Diameter: 0.295"

Appreciate any help please :)

·
Registered
Bowtech Realm X and PSE Inertia 50lbs
3,894 Posts
Not sure if this thread is still alive, but I'm asking the same question of my arrows in terms of adding weight.

Draw: 65 lbs / 29L
Arrows: Carbon Express Maxima Hunter Mathews Edition, 350, Built-in Weight Forward, cut down to 28.75"

I don't know all about how spine, etc works but here's what I found online.

Grains/Inch:* 8.0
Spine: 0.417"
Diameter: 0.295"

Appreciate any help please :)
I do not know the answer to your question but you posted the specs for a 250 not the 350 that you say you have

your arrow specs are 8.9 gr/inch
spine is .337

1 - 20 of 28 Posts