Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I've been trying out a lot of new broadheads in the off season and I'm getting ready for a Texas hunt in about a month.
I've currently got 100 grain, Slick Trick Mags, Grizz Tricks, Magnus Stingers, and G5 Strikers. I noticed that all my 100 grain broadheads shoot about 3" to the right at 20 and 30 yards. I just happened to shoot a 125 grain slick trick and it is dead on at 20 and 30 yards. So here's my question:
Should I switch to 125 grain broadheads and assume that the rest of the different styles of broadheads will be dead on?
Or, should I just move my sight and compensate for the 3" difference?

Thank you for any advice,
Lucas

· Registered
13,757 Posts
if the 125 shoots good, I would use them and not make other changes if your field tips are were you want them... the striker is an awesome blade and in my case would be my choice of the ones your shooting... having said that I use razorback's... and they have hit dead on with all my bows... the striker is the sharpest think out there but still wont group with razorbacks 23 pass throughs at 63# and under

· Registered
2,751 Posts
There's no reason I can think of (scientific / physics) that would have a heavier BH shooting better (as it relates to windage) other than arrow spine issues.

I would NEVER "assume" a BH was flying true in my setup, unless I'd tested it. It takes mere minutes to re-sight.

· Registered
3,609 Posts
Hello, I've been trying out a lot of new broadheads in the off season and I'm getting ready for a Texas hunt in about a month.
I've currently got 100 grain, Slick Trick Mags, Grizz Tricks, Magnus Stingers, and G5 Strikers. I noticed that all my 100 grain broadheads shoot about 3" to the right at 20 and 30 yards. I just happened to shoot a 125 grain slick trick and it is dead on at 20 and 30 yards. So here's my question:
Should I switch to 125 grain broadheads and assume that the rest of the different styles of broadheads will be dead on?
Or, should I just move my sight and compensate for the 3" difference?

Thank you for any advice,
Lucas
Sounds like you have an overspined arrow................try cranking the poundage up a few pounds and shoot the 100gr again and see if that helps.

· Registered
1,021 Posts
Foc

Could possibly be a Front of Center issue as well. I know with my 30" arrows I have to shoot 125gr heads to achieve over 10% FOC. If your arrows group well together with the 100gr heads, FOC is probably not your issue, but if you are seeing large/irratic groups I would say that the 125's will help.

· My Elk Hunting Home
32,447 Posts
I'd be more concerned with "why" the 125's hit center and the 100's don't. Is it spine? Is it FOC? Is it wobble? How do they all shoot at 40 or 50 or even 60? That would give you a better indication as to "why" they may be hitting center, and the 100's aren't.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.