Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to increase arrow weight with current arrows. Current setup is hoyt alphamax 35 with 27" draw length and pulling 65lbs. Arrows are gold tip hunter pro 340 8.9gpi. Arrows are 27.5" from nock grove to end of shaft. Arrows currently weigh 400. Would it be best just to add the weight to the gold tip insert? Was thinking about adding 50 grains to get too 450ish. Or will I need to get different arrows? Thanks

·
The Impartial Archer
18,338 Posts
I don't use the programs but that would be to weak IMO. You really can't over spine but you sure can underspine. I'd go with new arrows. You'll get some answers soon good luck.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Best way to tell is just get a field tip that’s 50gr heavier than current and see what happens. Would probably be underspined especially with broadhead though.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Adding the screw on weights is the easiest way to go that’s what did. I think you be borderline on to weak but it would probably work. Just add the weight to an arrow and shoot it and you’ll know right away.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Cut your arrow to 27”and add 50 grains to front and for your setup. The 340 spine are fine. Running your numbers your perfect dynamic spine is 376. So with your 340 spine cut 1/2” shorter with 50 grains added to front will be right. The ibo on that bow is between 312 and 321, and a shorter power stroke your arrow will do the job.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Once you figure out how much you want to add and the correct spine I highly recommend the ethics archery insert / collar system. Good way to add weight but also really strengthens the front end for impact

·
Registered
9,096 Posts

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
.300 is gonna be stiff. I would cut the .340 to 26.75” assuming you have room on your arrow shelf. Then add a 50 grain insert. You’ll net 43 grains more than your current arrows and the shorter arrow will stiffen up. You could definitely get away a 75 grain insert as well.

·
Registered
9,096 Posts
Being a little on the stiff side is a Good thing.

·
Registered
9,771 Posts
Any recommendations for correct arrow spine and set up?
Get on the Victory Archery website, then go to Arrow Guide, then Open Spine selector and plug in ALL your specs

1 - 11 of 11 Posts