Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Addington's Bowhunter Shop Page on Facebook

My father started a retail archery business in the corner of a garage in 1978. He had four bows and a simple inventory at first and the shop began to grow. By 1981 he'd moved into a new house and my mother allowed him to use 3/4 of the first floor for his shop. When the laundry room got turned into an arrow making room and the cellar became a stock room, he decided it was time to build a building and in 1985 built the 5500' archery pro shop that now houses the store. The new store had an indoor range, arrow room, huge stock room, and a stone fireplace in the center of the pro shop. He'd eventually add full mounted game from his hunting adventures. Some milestones of the shop:
Tom Jennings visited the shop in 1981 (see photo)
The year the Hoyt Rambo was released Pop sold 600 Hoyt bows in one year.
In 2003 he was the #1 Mathews retailer in the country.
Addington's first bow lines included Darton, Martin, Bear and Jennings, PSE and Hoyt.

Anyway, as of today the shop has a facebook page. If you are on Facebook feel free to visit the shop page and "LIKE" it if so.

Thanks for your time. If your travels bring you to WV, be sure and stop in and see Pop. My parents have been bowhunting together their entire 49 year marriage and can both tell bowhunting stories with the best of them.

Thanks.

Shoot Straight,
Frank

Attachments

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wood, I suppose. I think God is in charge and there are few coincidences in life. Rev. Stacy Groscup's father Baptized my father when he was born. Then when I turned 18 Stacy tossed a Pepsi can into mid air and challenged me to hit it. That can changed my life, that very day Stacy put me in front of an audience and I have been on stage ever since. That was 26 years ago.

I was very fortunate to have parents who kept me outdoors around campfires, on hunts, fishing trips, archery tournaments,etc. I turned 44 this year and that's 44 years drug free. I credit my folks and the hobbies like archery for this. So yeah, I think you are right my friend.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Funny how things work out. No telling where you would be now if not for that can

·
Registered
735 Posts
Frank great to see a archery shop that has strived for so long....I was at the shop when the laundry room was the fletching room back when they held the state shoot there back in the early 80s...god I'm getting old lol....I had been to the shop a few times back in 1994ish to shoot some indoor while working down that way for a few weeks...I wish you and the shop the best of luck...

MIKE COGAR

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Answer
I wish I'd have saved that can... I may buy a 1985 Pepsi can to include with a display I am doing with some of Stacy's things in the shop. But I give God more credit than the can for the way things turned out... I still wish that I'd have thought to save the can.

Frank

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
Thanks for sharing this stuff!! its so easy to let this sit idle and fade away. Keep up the good work and i love hearing about this stuff!

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
love Addingtons bowshop! been there several times and im glad its done so well for the stae its in because you know we dont get much attention!

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
can you post a link to the facebook page I cant find it any where

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Customers have started posting their 2011 hunting photos on the shop's FACEBOOK site. Please visit the site today if you are on Facebook. Simply "LIKE" it.

THANKS!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts