Archery Talk Forum banner

Adjusting climber while up in tree

845 Views 17 Replies 16 Participants Last post by  Nick Habes
Who has used a climber stand and re-adjusted the angle of the seat portion of the climber by undoing the cable strap while up in a tree? I have a Summit Viper Ultra that I tried out in the backyard for the first time today and the tree I climbed bowed away from the side I was climbing and the angle of the seat portion was canted back towards the tree.

I was practicing using one as this is my first climber and I went up and down a couple times. I also used my safety harness as I will always will ( I have a wife and 2 sons that depend on me). This climber feels very solid while in the tree.

I watched the dvd that came with the Summit and it said to never loosen the cable strap while in the tree to adjust the angle of the stand. While in the tree I felt very stable while standing on the lower portion of the stand. I work using ladders (electrician) while being quite high on them and am not afraid of heights. I do not use a safety harness at work because it is not practical but felt safe enough with the harness on to to loosen the cable and adjust the stand to a level position.

Does anyone else do this or do you climb back down and adjust at ground level? I must say this stand feels very stable and very comfortable. I like it and can't wait to use it in the while hunting.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
14,752 Posts
Who has used a climber stand and re-adjusted the angle of the seat portion of the climber by undoing the cable strap while up in a tree? I have a Summit Viper Ultra that I tried out in the backyard for the first time today and the tree I climbed bowed away from the side I was climbing and the angle of the seat portion was canted back towards the tree.

I was practicing using one as this is my first climber and I went up and down a couple times. I also used my safety harness as I will always will ( I have a wife and 2 sons that depend on me). This climber feels very solid while in the tree.

I watched the dvd that came with the Summit and it said to never loosen the cable strap while in the tree to adjust the angle of the stand. While in the tree I felt very stable while standing on the lower portion of the stand. I work using ladders (electrician) while being quite high on them and am not afraid of heights. I do not use a safety harness at work because it is not practical but felt safe enough with the harness on to to loosen the cable and adjust the stand to a level position.

Does anyone else do this or do you climb back down and adjust at ground level? I must say this stand feels very stable and very comfortable. I like it and can't wait to use it in the while hunting.
the top isn't much of a problem adjusting, the bottom can get a little hairy sometimes.... :eek:

· Registered
1,140 Posts
North Star Climbing Star

Unfortunately, North Star went out of business, but before they did, they made THE best climbing stand on the market. It is MADE to do exactly what you're talking about. You push a spring loaded lever and the belt just slides in further as much as you want. The bottom section comes with a bungy cord type spring load to aid in pulling the belt on the bottom. Yep, that's right, you sit on a strap on the top portion and you can even adjust the level of the bottom section while you're 20 feet up in a tree.
Awesome stand.

Anyway, before that, I had an API bowhunter supreme or something like that and you had to pull a pin. I adjusted the seat in the stand a couple times, but I always had in the back of my mind....what happens if I drop this pin:eek:
ALWAYS ALWAYS use a safety harness, especially if you start messing with the cables while up in the tree.

· Registered
509 Posts
Equalizer!!!

Check out the video on their site... I just bought one about a month ago and it is without a doubt the best climber I've ever owned. Not only can you adjust the stand while at your hunting height, but it has a positive locking system that locks to top and bottom of the stand together!!! It's unreal how solid this thing is up in the tree... check it out https://www.equalizertreestands.com/index.php

· Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I looked at the Equalizer before I bought the Summit but the Equalizer was a $130.00 more than I paid for the Viper and I got a full seat with the back cushion with the stand. I could not see spending $130.00 more for a hand crank to adjust the stand.

The Equalizer looks to be a very nice stand but too pricey for me.

· Registered
3,185 Posts
I have adjusted both top and bottom of my Lone Wolf while in the tree but most times I try adjust before I go up the tree and make it a little smaller if it looks like the tree narrows.

· Registered
2,124 Posts
I've adjusted my Lone Wolf Sit & Climb platform while in the tree. Just lowered the seat close to the platform and loosened it and adjusted it so it was level. I wouldn't recommend it. Just pray that you don't lose your grip on the belt.

· Registered
509 Posts
I looked at the Equalizer before I bought the Summit but the Equalizer was a $130.00 more than I paid for the Viper and I got a full seat with the back cushion with the stand. I could not see spending $130.00 more for a hand crank to adjust the stand.

The Equalizer looks to be a very nice stand but too pricey for me.
I totally understand your position, but after 26 years of hunting out of everyting from the old Baker's that you had to hug the tree to climb with, and cutting down saplings and tying them to two parallel branches in a Hemlock tree, I've finally done myself a favor and bought the best treestand that I could afford! The safety of a treestand is far and away the most important piece of equipment for me as a bowhunter... well the safety harness too, but you get my drift.

· Registered
808 Posts
If its been done in a climber I've done it.Hell I hunted out of the late 80's loggy with no harness hungover every Saturday for 10 years.Don't blink your eyes and you won't fall asleep.I've evolved some of my bad habits now I'm married and have a 9 year old son.

· Registered
2,111 Posts
ive done it on the top but not the botttom,and sometimes thats risky,my advise would be-if not feeling safe ,go down ,readjust and start over-NO HUNT IS WORTH YOUR LIFE OR LIMBS. PERIOD.

· Registered
506 Posts
Summit Tree stands. Top is simple, bottom I have done and almost lost it .Be careful. Try to make right adjustment at base of tree. Use a safety harness for sure.

· Registered
181 Posts
Use a TimberTall Climber

I have seen all the praise for various stands for comfort etc but for adjustability of seat and base while UP in the tree TimberTall Climbers let you do this without disconnecting from the tree!!! They are light for carrying as well. Check it out.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.