·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought this might help a few folks...

Adjusting Peep Rotation
By
Mike (Javi…) Cooper​

When installing a new string, I recommend shooting approximately 50 shots through the bow before installing the peep. After installing the peep, make a note of which way the peep is facing you will use this as your guide. Nock an arrow, point it safely at the target butt and shoot; notice that the peep has rotated from its earlier position. The string will creep and settle for the first few shots. Once the string has settled, you’ll notice the peep will be in exactly the same position after the shot. It could take as little as twenty shots or as many as a few hundred, depending on the quality of the manufacturing processes and the material used in making the string.

Once the string has settled you can tune the peep, make sure that it is set to the correct height and begin by nocking an arrow and drawing the bow slowly, watch how the peep moves as the string goes through the draw cycle. This is will tell you what to do with the peep. If your peep rotates from left to right, press the bow and twist the string a ½ twist in the same direction. I recommend that you twist from the bottom cam end. Now shoot the bow several times to settle the peep. If it still does not roll into the proper position, repeat the process. Always shoot the bow several times to settle the peep before checking for position. If the peep settles exactly opposite, then just flip the peep to face you. Relax the string in the press only enough to be able to get the peep out and turn it a half turn. Remember that each time the bow is in the press you must shoot the bow several times to settle the string.

Occasionally the peep will settle just a little off no matter what you do. At this point any adjustment moves the peep too far; it is the time to flip strands. Relax the string again. Look carefully at the direction of the string twist. For example, if the normal twist of the string is clockwise, and your peep must move to the left a ¼ of a turn, take two strands from the top left side and flip them to the bottom right side. Then take two strands (make sure they aren’t the same two strands) from the bottom right side and flip them to the top left side. This will pull the peep over to the direction you want. If you want to move it the other way, just do the same steps in the opposite direction. Note: more strands will mean more movement.

Shoot the bow to re-settle the string and repeat as necessary… If you have the patience this will work…

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Thanks Javi :thumbs_up

·
Registered
365 Posts
awesome post

belongs in the tech tip library..........

thanks javi.

·
Bow Huntin' pure-n-simple
4,922 Posts
Good advice javi , thank you

·
Registered
469 Posts
great post.....thanks for sharing.

·
Banned
2,346 Posts
I fall into the "occasionally no matter what you do...." group. I'm not following the strand thing, can you re word that for me?

Thanks

·
Registered
780 Posts
Seems like you lost them so let me try to assist you in the "strand thing". Lets assume that you want the peep to move jus a tad toward the right as you look at the bow from the rear. (The way you see it when you shoot it.) First press the bow thus taking the pressure off the string. Using something smooth and blunt (Such as the end of the lever part of a pair of fingernail clips....they do make a tool for this but you nor I probably have one :D ) and segregate one single strand of the string on the right of the peep and move it across the FRONT of the peep placing it on the left. Then take another string from the left and move it across the BACK of the peep and place it on the right side. (Be careful not to take the string that you just moved to that side.) Take the bow out of the press and shoot it a few times then look at it closly to see if you moved it enough. If not, repeat the process. If the peep is even further off than it was to begin with you are going the wrong way sooooo reverse the process and start over.

What you are doing is walking your peep one strand at a time through the string. It ain't quick but it can be used to fine tune the peep.

Good luck

SSSSSSSsssssssssnake and the stringwalker

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Snake, very nice clarification, i have ha dto do this frequently in the past.

Luckily not on my current string (got lucky)

·
Registered
803 Posts
AWESOME thank you Sir!!! Gone

·
Registered
586 Posts
thanks for the advice :thumbs_up

·
Registered
844 Posts
Jaiv

Thanks for the information, this is going in my bow tuning folder.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Javi: Just one question that might help someone doing this for the first time, do you have to serve the peep in each time after making the twist adjustments and the strand movements? Can you shoot the bow to settle it in and check the adjustments you just made without without serving in the peep. Will the peep stay in place?

·
Registered
359 Posts
mlbright, if you tie the half hitch knot (10 rings)above and below the peep you can slide them away from the peep when removing and towards the peep when shooting in. Once the peep is settled and stable then you can serve it in place.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks for the info Karday.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts