Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so TLDR: I live in a third world ****hole where the closest bow shop is 4h away and all I have to my disposal is a

-S.A.S kit

-2x 17" serving threads(?) from the Bowmar nose button pack, not sure what kind of thread it is but guessing serving?

N the problem I'm having is the peep sight is kinda off. Needs to be moved down at least 1/2", but it's tied down and practically impossible to move.

Here are some pics of what it looks like, this is how he tied it down.

I've tried pulling just the string with my nails but without success it's tied on very tightly. I have a SAS string, but the last time I tied using that the entire peep fell out and I have to travel 4h to get it "Fixed" (didnt fix **** rly just put in a new peep at the wrong location again.)

So my question is, what's the smart way of going about this? I'm new to all this, got a V3X 29 as my first bow, I don't own a press nor have I ever worked on a bow. So just fiddling with the string makes me very nervous, I'm afraid to accidentally damage it or smth...

Can I take a pair of nail scissors to cut it off very carefully, move peep accordingly then tie it down with one of the supplied nose button strings? Pic rel.
Hood Orange T-shirt Bag Font

Is 17" enough? and is this even a serving thread?

Wood Glass Twig Audio equipment Metal
Bicycle tire Musical instrument Bicycle fork Bicycle part Drum
Audio equipment Electrical wiring Musical instrument Computer hardware Gas

·
Registered
195 Posts
Looks a bit on the thicker side for serving thread, you can definitely take a razor blade to the serving on the peep just start at the least dangerous spot furthest from the string and be very very careful. If you got shaky hands maybe ask a friend:) Also mooving it down that much will probably affect the rotation and not end up straight anymore since it will twist with the string direction when you move it. Maybe someone else will chime in with some ideas on how to relax the string a bit on that bow and maybe flip the peep if you have to, or somehow lock the cams and remove the peep without a press. I think APA bows and some other brands have a method of locking the cams for some simple string/cable twisting and peep work.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks a bit on the thicker side for serving thread, you can definitely take a razor blade to the serving on the peep just start at the least dangerous spot furthest from the string and be very very careful. If you got shaky hands maybe ask a friend:) Also mooving it down that much will probably affect the rotation and not end up straight anymore since it will twist with the string direction when you move it. Maybe someone else will chime in with some ideas on how to relax the string a bit on that bow and maybe flip the peep if you have to, or somehow lock the cams and remove the peep without a press. I think APA bows and some other brands have a method of locking the cams for some simple string/cable twisting and peep work.
Thank you man.
Now looking at yt videos on how to tie down a peep, the method the guy used in the pics above doesn't seem too popular? So I can't really tell how he has done it... Where should I begin cutting the string?

I have a SAS string for the V3X, dunno if you've seen it, so relaxing the string is np for me here. It's just the cutting part im worried about..

·
Registered
111 Posts
I like to use finger nail clippers to cut off old serving seems like I can be more careful and not worry as much about cutting what I'm not supposed to. John Dudley has a couple videos on how to tie in a peep that are pretty straight forward and easy. And the methods have worked very well for me. Also not sure if you have any old bow strings but I have started cutting up old bow strings and using strands to tie in peeps. I saw a guy recommend it on here a while back. It seems to come out alot cleaner due to the smaller diameter of the strands.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I like to use finger nail clippers to cut off old serving seems like I can be more careful and not worry as much about cutting what I'm not supposed to. John Dudley has a couple videos on how to tie in a peep that are pretty straight forward and easy. And the methods have worked very well for me. Also not sure if you have any old bow strings but I have started cutting up old bow strings and using strands to tie in peeps. I saw a guy recommend it on here a while back. It seems to come out alot cleaner due to the smaller diameter of the strands.
Here is the Dudley video I like.

·
Registered
21 Posts
If you can relax the string using the SAS you may be able to wax the strings a bit and then slide the peep down with the existing knots/serving intact, but the rotation may be off once the height is right. If the SAS lets you disconnect the string you can probably twist/untwist as necessary to fix the alignment after the fact.

Personally, I could never tie in a peep with only 17" of serving, so in your situation I'd have to order a roll of bcy 3D and wait for it to show up before I cut the existing peep free. If you do end up cutting, use a razor blade and comin in matching the unused string slot on the peep, that way you can't nick your string and should easily be able to get all the serving strands cut. Dudley and GoHunt both have good youtube videos on how to tie in a peep.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Take shoelace ( you have shoes there right) make two loops around one of the string "legs" above the knot clump holding the peep in place. Grab shoelace ends, put bow between your legs and pull on the shoelace. Cinches down and you get enough leverage to move the knot. Repeat on both sides until you have moved the peep enough. You can also loop both sides and pull at once but then you need 2x the force and have 1/2x the control how much you're moving the peep at once.

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
I have used dental floss and braided fishing line before to tie in a peep. The SAS should work fine for what you need to do. Once you get it cut loose and moved all you have to do is tie around the peep with a few half hitches and finish with a tight overhand knot clip and burn the ends down. You dont have to serve the "V" of the string to hold the peep in.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have used dental floss and braided fishing line before to tie in a peep. The SAS should work fine for what you need to do. Once you get it cut loose and moved all you have to do is tie around the peep with a few half hitches and finish with a tight overhand knot clip and burn the ends down. You dont have to serve the "V" of the string to hold the peep in.
that's pretty interesting

·
Registered
559 Posts
I always just very carefully cut the old serving off with a razorknife. Also, if you don't have serving thread, floss works great. It definitely doesn't look as good on the string and is a little harder to work with because of the slippery texture but it is effective.

·
Back Yard Champion
33,947 Posts
I've used Button&Carpet thread to serve a peep......

Reactions: cruizerjoy

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What is the purpose of serving the "V"? Does it improve durability of the string long term? Because the guy didn't do it the "conventional" way with the V's which had me a bit worried it could causing tearing in those spots over time

·
Registered
21,665 Posts
No V won't keep peep from moving, need to make the square knot around peep & have 2 long strands from the knot & make 1/2 hitches on both sides of the peep at top & bottom & that will keep the peep from sliding up or down the string. Just make sure you have the peep where you want it before you tie that part of the peep in.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts