Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
The Ranch Fairy
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get a lot of questions about building an adult arrow without jumping off a $200+ bridge with all new shafts, broadheads, etc. This is practical, what if they don't fly right??
I mean not exactly here on AT, because you will be slammed into 5th grade recess cyber space by "keepers of the darkness".
But, privately, discreetly, people reach out to me and say.....

"Yo RF, I am sending this email, from an anonymous email address, my apolgies, I am certain you understand, you're a fairy with some stupid ideas as verified by the message boards, just to be clear. Anyway, My FRIEND, lost a critter, actually, 3 and wounded a 4th to death. HE said HE is not happy with HIS twizzler / flapper combination, so I wanted to ask how I COULD HELP MY FRIEND, build something a little different. We probably won't do this because you're an idiot, but HE said HE will try it."

Here we go!

Love ya!
The RF

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
excellent work troy, keep it up! entertaining as always.

Reactions: ThumbsMcGee86

·
The Penetrator
4,473 Posts
This is not enough information to find out the right combo for front weight and spine and you're going to end up confusing and turning people off to building heavyweight/high foc arrows by doing so. It's great that you want to help people learn, but you need to have a better understanding of these topics instead of incorrectly relaying what somebody else is telling you.

Just swapping out field points to change the tip weight and seeing which one "flies the best" or looks best on paper tuning isn't going to give you the optimal spine needs for a given bow and arrow setup. The part you're missing is you'll still need to screw on those same weight matched broadheads and verify they hit the same point of impact as the broadheads to verify proper dynamic spine. This is not a difficult process but you're making is sound simpler than it is and that won't give you the needed information for proper arrow flight without doing this. People that can tune bows can make lots of arrows paper tune that are too weak in dynamic spine to accurately steer a broadhead(fixed blade especially) as well as overflex on hard impact and not translate all the potential energy stored in the arrow resulting in poor penetration. Ballparking one or 2 spine ranges for a huge range of draw weights/draw lengths and arrow builds is going to confuse a lot of people too and have them end up wasting money. Use a good arrow building software like OnTarget2 and you won't have to build so many different options to find the build that's right for you and your setup.

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
This is not enough information to find out the right combo for front weight and spine and you're going to end up confusing and turning people off to building heavyweight/high foc arrows by doing so. It's great that you want to help people learn, but you need to have a better understanding of these topics instead of incorrectly relaying what somebody else is telling you.

Just swapping out field points to change the tip weight and seeing which one "flies the best" or looks best on paper tuning isn't going to give you the optimal spine needs for a given bow and arrow setup. The part you're missing is you'll still need to screw on those same weight matched broadheads and verify they hit the same point of impact as the broadheads to verify proper dynamic spine. This is not a difficult process but you're making is sound simpler than it is and that won't give you the needed information for proper arrow flight without doing this. People that can tune bows can make lots of arrows paper tune that are too weak in dynamic spine to accurately steer a broadhead(fixed blade especially) as well as overflex on hard impact and not translate all the potential energy stored in the arrow resulting in poor penetration. Ballparking one or 2 spine ranges for a huge range of draw weights/draw lengths and arrow builds is going to confuse a lot of people too and have them end up wasting money. Use a good arrow building software like OnTarget2 and you won't have to build so many different options to find the build that's right for you and your setup.
He was pretty clear that it's a simple and practical approach. I don't see the need for "caution" here. More people should try heavier arrows and the easiest way is to change field point weight. 99% of guys will try it, like it and proceed to buy new arrows which forces them to go through a myriad of technical steps that ensures proper flight. So it's really not a problem to try heavier points.

·
The Penetrator
4,473 Posts
He was pretty clear that it's a simple and practical approach. I don't see the need for "caution" here. More people should try heavier arrows and the easiest way is to change field point weight. 99% of guys will try it, like it and proceed to buy new arrows which forces them to go through a myriad of technical steps that ensures proper flight. So it's really not a problem to try heavier points.
I’m not saying that. I’m saying the problem is this isn’t enough info to just throw on broadheads and go hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
I’m not saying that. I’m saying the problem is this isn’t enough info to just throw on broadheads and go hunting.

Troy is awesome at knowing just how much info people can diggest. I have a tendency to overwhelm ppl. Once people try it, they'll almost inevitably go back buy new shafts and build from scratch with detail in mind. This is just a primer of sorts.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Just buy OT2. It’s cheap and works no extra field points necessary. It is the cheapest easiest options and it’s not limited to how well your shoot to judge hoe each arrow is doing.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I get a lot of questions about building an adult arrow without jumping off a $200+ bridge with all new shafts, broadheads, etc. This is practical, what if they don't fly right??
I mean not exactly here on AT, because you will be slammed into 5th grade recess cyber space by "keepers of the darkness".
But, privately, discreetly, people reach out to me and say.....

"Yo RF, I am sending this email, from an anonymous email address, my apolgies, I am certain you understand, you're a fairy with some stupid ideas as verified by the message boards, just to be clear. Anyway, My FRIEND, lost a critter, actually, 3 and wounded a 4th to death. HE said HE is not happy with HIS twizzler / flapper combination, so I wanted to ask how I COULD HELP MY FRIEND, build something a little different. We probably won't do this because you're an idiot, but HE said HE will try it."

Here we go!

Love ya!
The RF
Says video not available?

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Just buy OT2. It’s cheap and works no extra field points necessary. It is the cheapest easiest options and it’s not limited to how well your shoot to judge hoe each arrow is doing.

@ #theeasybutton
Personally I have a whole lot more faith in
"You're gonna hafta Do Some Work" and
"" You'll Need To Try"
OR one could just follow the sheeple, hit the easy button with a legendary fresh post on AT " What's yer favorite arrow setup for X pound bow and X arrow spine?
And just replicate someone else's flawed arrow setup...

·
Registered
Bowtech Realm X and PSE Inertia 50lbs
5,208 Posts

what is OT2?

·
Registered
226 Posts
what is OT2?
On Target 2, there is a app or program for your computer. It gets a working set up right every time, I have never had it fail from a light weight 5.5gpp set of to heavy 25% FOC set ups.

·
Banned
5,045 Posts
You can “tune” a compound bow for about any arrow.... if you don’t have a press, knowledge, tools or maybe the ocd about it like I do the Fairy has good stuff for the majority.
Sideways arrows and bandaid flappers SUCK!

·
Banned
385 Posts
So a Fairy steals a bunch of info off a "DR" then posts it on youtube and a bunch of mouth breathing window lickers think its cutting edge?

[email protected] this
He steals a lot of info from a lot of people and then touts it as his own. He has yet to produce any new or novel ideas. He simply regurgitates the work of others with a stupid (fake) laugh and hope people are dumb enough to think these are his ideas. There are several people he blatantly copies and then makes a video about it as if he somehow invented or discovered something. His followers dont seem to be wise to it.

There is a reason he doesnt post here. Too many are wise to his plagiarism and know a hell of a lot more than him. He like the safety of his youtube channel where is cant be challenged and he can delete and comments that dont praise him.

Reactions: Mike.Rotch

·
I like elk!
19,682 Posts
He steals a lot of info from a lot of people and then touts it as his own. He has yet to produce any new or novel ideas. He simply regurgitates the work of others with a stupid (fake) laugh and hope people are dumb enough to think these are his ideas. There are several people he blatantly copies and then makes a video about it as if he somehow invented or discovered something. His followers dont seem to be wise to it.

There is a reason he doesnt post here. Too many are wise to his plagiarism and know a hell of a lot more than him. He like the safety of his youtube channel where is cant be challenged and he can delete and comments that dont praise him.

I don’t follow, or even particularly enjoy RF’s videos...but my guess is that he doesn’t post on archery talk because of asssholes like you and crankn.

·
Banned
385 Posts
And many others that know a great deal more than him. He does not like to be challenged or exposed for simply stealing the work of others.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts