Archery Talk Forum banner

Adult Arrow Build / Tune Using Field Points l RF Video

3K views 27 replies 17 participants last post by  limb_bender 
#1 ·
I get a lot of questions about building an adult arrow without jumping off a $200+ bridge with all new shafts, broadheads, etc. This is practical, what if they don't fly right??
I mean not exactly here on AT, because you will be slammed into 5th grade recess cyber space by "keepers of the darkness".
But, privately, discreetly, people reach out to me and say.....

"Yo RF, I am sending this email, from an anonymous email address, my apolgies, I am certain you understand, you're a fairy with some stupid ideas as verified by the message boards, just to be clear. Anyway, My FRIEND, lost a critter, actually, 3 and wounded a 4th to death. HE said HE is not happy with HIS twizzler / flapper combination, so I wanted to ask how I COULD HELP MY FRIEND, build something a little different. We probably won't do this because you're an idiot, but HE said HE will try it."

Here we go!

Love ya!
The RF

#5 ·
This is not enough information to find out the right combo for front weight and spine and you're going to end up confusing and turning people off to building heavyweight/high foc arrows by doing so. It's great that you want to help people learn, but you need to have a better understanding of these topics instead of incorrectly relaying what somebody else is telling you.

Just swapping out field points to change the tip weight and seeing which one "flies the best" or looks best on paper tuning isn't going to give you the optimal spine needs for a given bow and arrow setup. The part you're missing is you'll still need to screw on those same weight matched broadheads and verify they hit the same point of impact as the broadheads to verify proper dynamic spine. This is not a difficult process but you're making is sound simpler than it is and that won't give you the needed information for proper arrow flight without doing this. People that can tune bows can make lots of arrows paper tune that are too weak in dynamic spine to accurately steer a broadhead(fixed blade especially) as well as overflex on hard impact and not translate all the potential energy stored in the arrow resulting in poor penetration. Ballparking one or 2 spine ranges for a huge range of draw weights/draw lengths and arrow builds is going to confuse a lot of people too and have them end up wasting money. Use a good arrow building software like OnTarget2 and you won't have to build so many different options to find the build that's right for you and your setup.

#6 ·
He was pretty clear that it's a simple and practical approach. I don't see the need for "caution" here. More people should try heavier arrows and the easiest way is to change field point weight. 99% of guys will try it, like it and proceed to buy new arrows which forces them to go through a myriad of technical steps that ensures proper flight. So it's really not a problem to try heavier points.

#12 ·
@ #theeasybutton
Personally I have a whole lot more faith in
"You're gonna hafta Do Some Work" and
"" You'll Need To Try"
OR one could just follow the sheeple, hit the easy button with a legendary fresh post on AT " What's yer favorite arrow setup for X pound bow and X arrow spine?
And just replicate someone else's flawed arrow setup...

#20 ·
And many others that know a great deal more than him. He does not like to be challenged or exposed for simply stealing the work of others.

#21 ·
Is there anything revolutionary anymore in archery?
The answer is no.
It’s the same principles, regurgitated over and over, by all companies and all people involved in the sport.

Does RF claim these ideas are his own?
Or, are you just insecure enough, like crankn, to actually be insulted by someone’s ideas, that largely differ from your own?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.