Archery Talk Forum banner

Adult beginner. New bare bow needs almost everything

1877 Views 18 Replies 15 Participants Last post by  ar1220
OK. So, I did my research on bows. And, I decided to start with a Diamond Infinite edge. Primarily because of its versatility. I want to start with a lower draw weight to develop form and consistency. I bought a bare bow because I wanted better accessories than the ones in the package deal. I plan on keeping the bow for awhile. So, having saved money on the bow purchase, I have some $$ left for the rest of the rig. I would appreciate experienced input on sights, arrows and releases. I have been advised to select a QAD hunter rest. So, one less thing to worry about. I'm 48. So, better late than never, right?
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
7,265 Posts
Welcome to Archery Talk.

It would be helpful if you would fill out your profile completely so that folks would be able to see just what you want to accomplish with your new bow. From your choice of bows I will assume that it is for recreational/hunting purposes. I think that's great, but some may look down on you for not being a "pure" archer. Surely not me. That's exactly where I'm at after about 40 years of shooting.

I applaud you for not asking the question about which is the "best" of any individual piece of equipment. There is no "best". Just what's best for you -- maybe not the best for others.

QAD makes good stuff. I have one QAD HDX (different than the "hunter") that has not given me a minutes worth of problems in the last 6 years. Since I bought it, I've bought 3 Limb Driver Pro V's. Take that for what it's worth.

You may find that most folks will tell you that whatever piece of equipment they happen to have is the greatest. Just human nature -- the same old Ford vs. Chevy thing. Outrageous debates can rage on this site over the most minute differences. For instance, about camo patterns. I haven't used camo clothes in the last 25 years, yet others obsess over a particular pattern for their wallets, pens, belts, sights, stabilizers, or, the most ridiculous of all the pattern on their arrows. Personally, I wouldn't use a camo arrow --- I want it to be easy to find after that perfect passthru shot, and to be able to read the blood.

Just to come clean about the whole thing, here's what I like;
bow of choice
served nock sets with a D-loop
spider legs on the string as needed
LD Pro V rest
any number of the cheaper stabilizers
a stiff wrist sling of any type
a peep without any rubber tubing. This only works if you have a quality string and the patience to get it right
a single pin sight -- My preference being HHA 5519
a wrist strap release by Carter. Most are good but my preference is the Carter Quickie 2+. Apparently no longer available
Gold Tip shafts with 4" feathers, G nocks, and either a 3 X 125 Muzzy or a Slick Trick 125 mag

You'll likely get all sorts of comments why some piece of gear is better than others. Please keep in mind that it's the archer, not the gear that makes the difference. You cannot purchase success, you have to work at it. It really all comes down to you, and what you're willing to invest of your time.

I wish you the best of luck.

· Registered
15,686 Posts
Stay away from a fallaway rest unless it is limb driven with that bow. They are great bows but they tune and shoot better with more arrow support. Look into a vapor trail limb driver or a trophy taker smack down instead. Both companies have full capture versions of these models. The wad is a good rest, just not for the bow you have. I wouldn't spend a fortune on a sight until you have more experience under your belt shooting and you know what you want. A simple 5 pin sight that has a level will do really well for you. See what your local pro shop has to offer. If you have questions or need warranty or help on anything, purchasing from them will typically get you better service. It is unfortunate that some shops work this way. Your shop will be able to help you fine tune the bow to fit your needs and any accessories will be readily available.

· Registered
342 Posts
I'm 42 and just started. I started by buying an older used bow that came with a brush capture arrow rest. I put on a $30 truglo sight, bought a $20 no name caliper release and was using a mishmosh combination of used arrows that i got from Craigslist. After practicing for a few months, I am consistently getting 6 inch groups at 20 yards.

While I'm glad you are looking for advice before just throwing cash into your setup, technique, form and practice count for much more than equipment.

Having said all that...

Truglow sights are very popular. I've been leaning towards Spot-Hogg lately. If you think you will be shooting from the same distance all the time (like in a range or backyard) then a single pin is fine. If you think you will be trying to vary it up and different distances all the time, then a 3 or 5 pin sight would be better.

The hunters prefer a belt buckle style wrist strap because its much more consistent and quieter than a velcro but I don't find a difference. Caliper release is the most common but there are TONS of different styles. My suggestion would be to go to a shop and ask to try a bunch of them. Expect to pay about $100 for a good quality made one regardless of type.

Quivers are not necessary IMO unless you are hunting but some prefer them. I keep my arrows in a PVC pipe and use one of these as a stand in the backyard.
http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=1484690&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1348939415

· Registered
20 Posts
I was in your shoes six months ago. Reading this site and watching YouTube videos helped me a ton. Search for info on different components here and the search for reviews on YouTube.

Of course shoot, shoot, shoot as much as you can!

· Registered
1,485 Posts
just remember the ford chevy thing ,well welcome to the archery version of it ,cant go wrong with qad ,and you dont need a high dollar sight ,as long as you can shoot and hit your target ,not a bad choice for a first bow .we all had a first bow ,just some of us over do it .good luck .

· Registered
515 Posts
The only thing I would recommend is a wrist strap caliber release. Personally I think they are safer to use esp for a new archer. Other then that all the other components are all personal choice. The high $ sights, stabs, and rest will hold their value pretty well if you don't like them.

· Registered
1,272 Posts
I would advise against the qad hunter-bounce back issues. If you like the qad, then put the hdx version on, there is a reason it cost more money. otherwise, go with the whisker biscuit proshot, cant go wrong there and nothing to fail. Get whatever sight suits your fancy. Get a stabilizer that actually stabilizes, you all one with weight in the front, do not buy a short soft stab, it doesn't stabilize.

· Registered
596 Posts
Congrats on the purchase. I have two infinite edges in the house, wife and sons. FYI, the stock strings on the bow are not the greatest quality. They will stretch and this could be a pain with Non-tube peep. Might cause you some frustration. Unless you plan on replacing those stock strings, which I would recommend if you have the funds, go with a peep that has a tube until you can buy some quality strings. The infinite edge is a great bow with tons of adjustment. And we use whisker biscuits for our rest and love them, easy set up and I find them easy to tune. Good luck to you

· Registered
772 Posts
My 2 Cents;

Rest -QAD is nice, but I would also consider a Whisker Biscuit. They're pretty simple and generally fool proof, and its easier to upgrade to something better later on than it is to struggle with a mechanical you don't understand very well.

Arrows -Go check out Beman's new White Box arrows. They're pre fletched, pre cut, already have inserts, and they're only 4 for $25. They're probably a little heavier/stiffer than what you need, but that only means they'll be more durable too, so they can survive getting stuck in a tree or two.

Release -I would do either the Tru Ball Predator (wrist strap, retail $55) or the Max 4 Pro (T handle, retail $90). They're both very proven designs and pretty quality as well. Anything fancier (like with a set-trigger) is just going to cost you a lot more money. I personally compete with the Max 4 Pro.

Sight -Sink some money into this one. My Dad just recently got an Axcel Armortech Pro (retail $255) and its absolutely fantastic. Make sure you get the Pro version though; the standard doesn't come with the dovetail mount.

Note that I'm assuming you'll be mostly bow hunting with this setup. If you want to do more field/competition type stuff, you probably want to take a look at a couple of tournament sights.

Stabilizers -There are a bunch of options out there, but the direction everyone is going anymore is to make sure you at least have a side bar, and several weights to choose from to balance your bow. For hunting you probably don't want much over 12 in length (there's no rule as to how long the side bar should be vs the front bar, so don't worry about it).

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, my shopping is all but done. I still need to get a peep served in. And, I'll be buying a case. But, it's all over but the installs and the tuning.
I decided on the QAD ultra rest HDX. Gold tip Kinetic XT 500 arrows. Scott archery Saber tooth release. A Trophy Ridge stabilizer. And, a Trophy Ridge Joker 4 pin sight.
Also, Ohio DNR is hosting a free class I will be attending. There will be an opportunity to practice on some 3D targets after. Looking forward to that. Thanks for all of your input!

· Registered
20,507 Posts
Well, my shopping is all but done. I still need to get a peep served in. And, I'll be buying a case. But, it's all over but the installs and the tuning.
I decided on the QAD ultra rest HDX. Gold tip Kinetic XT 500 arrows. Scott archery Saber tooth release. A Trophy Ridge stabilizer. And, a Trophy Ridge Joker 4 pin sight.
Also, Ohio DNR is hosting a free class I will be attending. There will be an opportunity to practice on some 3D targets after. Looking forward to that. Thanks for all of your input!
Very cool and good set up. Enjoy

· Registered
6,267 Posts
Congrats on the bow and welcome as far tricking it out you far better to buy good quality equipment that will last and can be used as you upgrade bows later on and you will.your bow of choice is a very very good beginner bow as for accessories you gone hear it all from one end to the other from folks here most are fairly knowledgeable but to give you my opinion as to your question.
Rest you spoke of a qad good choice have never used the hunter but the hdx is a very good rest have 3 and never an issue.
Sights lots of good companies out there my choice for a hunting sight would be a multi pin from sport hogg or axcel.
Stabilizer get one from who ever that you can weight to or take weight off of to help balance the bow...not some lil 4 rubber ball that ain't a stabilizer.shrewd,b-stinger,dead center,doinker all make good stabilizers that you can add or take weight off of
Release a wrist strap will serve you well to learn with I prefer a hook style over a caliper style.any from tru ball,tru fire or Scott will serve you well just learn to shoot it correctly

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.