Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of going to the open class next year and using a scope. I think I may do better with the magnification a scope offers due to the fact I already wear glasses. I know the yardages are longer in the open classes as opposed to the hunter class which I shoot now, but I think that a scope will help with my scores. Am I right or wrong. Oppinoins?

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
i am not sure about the asa, but open stakes in ibo and nfaa max are 50 yards, i use a 6x in my hoggernaut and i can see the 12 ring outline out to about 35 yards, makes it easy to see where you aiming, ohh yeah except for those dark targets

·
Registered
8,685 Posts
it depends, with magnifaction, you will see more pin motion while aiming. It may or may not bother you. :eek:

·
Registered
374 Posts
Depends on magnifacation, could hinder you as well. You'll be able to see all your movement while aiming. I would recommend using a lower magnification to start out with. Although, I am no expert it may come easy for you. I would try them before making a decision! Good Luck!!

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Mho

Well, I have shot both. Shot in MBR for 3 years, moved to MBO for 3 years, shot HC for 2, and now I am back in MBR. Here is what I have found as pros and cons for both.

Scope pros. You can see target and rings better. You can dial the yardadge you want. You can shot any equipment you want.

Scope cons. Rain can flush you day and scores down the tubes. It magnifies your shakes. The sun/shade can really cause problems. Groups at the stake seem to take longer to shoot.

Pin pros. No lens to catch rain drops. Sometimes seeing your pins on the target can let you know your first yardadge number might be a bit off.

Pin cons. My biggest trouble is having to "shoot the gap". Holding the spot between the pins is tough for me to do sometimes. Not being able to find that spot to shoot at that you found in the binos.

All in all I liked shooting MBO. Dialing up the yardage, and bringing that target in closer in the scope was nice, but for me the worry over weather and back-ups was to much. The best thing I can tell you is to try it for a year and if you don't like it, we in the pin shooting-brotherhood will always take you back. :wink:

·
Registered
239 Posts
thoughts

hey I'm new so dont laugh also cant see the pins after the second shoot of my carere I found a toxnocis five pin 3x magnification site now i can see the pins and the target better helped me I cant say 27yds but i do good at second and 3/4 pin needless to say I was mooved to MBR on my third shoot because of the magnification i shoot or see better long than short so thats ok as long as I stay out of the chair people group I'm ok

1 - 9 of 9 Posts