Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was wondering besides being able to see more what are other advantages to shooting with 2 eyes open in stead of 1. I have a story I missed a decent buck this year at 15 yards, I pulled back closed my left eye and bleated to stop him. When I bleated he turned and ran, had I had both eyes opened I would have seen him turn and run and have another shot a little later at him instead I shot and my arrow went where he was standing. We got it on film and low and behold thats what happened.

·
Bonehunter
8,848 Posts
Target acquisition, brighter sight picture, peripheral vision...I've done it both ways, both open is better for me....especially hunting.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Just my take on it, having both eyes open keeps eye strain to a minimum as well as more focus on your target. I start my aiming at the peep line up to the pin then to the target. Once at the Target the pin should be blury-ish. Knowing the colors of your pins is critical as to not shoot the wrong pin. I found once I opened my left eye my consistancy (sp) and accuracy jumped. It also helps with target movement, having both eyes open keeps the 188 degree field of view we have at full strength not 50%. It took some getting used to as I am a marksmanship instructor in the Navy and its completely different then shooting guns. where you focus on sights making your target blurry. Go figure... Best of luck and I hope you fine your happy medium...

·
Loving Me Some Spirals!
13,471 Posts
Keeps your face less tense as well. Shut your one eye and feel it in your face. Your so much more relaxed with both open. I just started using a double vision blocker to help with both eye open shooting.

Sent from my Verizon iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys I have been trying to use two eyes and I thought my accuracy went up, but I didnt know if something that simple would cause my shooting to be better. I just thought I was crazy

·
Registered
134 Posts
Your not crazy. It takes some getting used to but once you do it is amazing. My buddy still can't do it! I found at first that I was confused by seeing two sets of pins. If your right eye dominant you should be looking at the left set! Now I don't even notice the double set of pins. I have found that it allows me to see more of what is going on around me. When my buddy is shooting a lane or two next to me I can see his shots hit and can help him with letting him know where he is hitting.

·
74,535 Posts
I cannot learn to shoot this way. Tried the last two years and even this year.

Whatever reason doesnt work for me.
DB

·
Bonehunter
8,848 Posts
DB, if your eyes are closely matched in power, it would be very difficult to do. My Master eye(shooting eye) is more powerful than the other....just worked out that way :)

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Im getting to the point where I need to wear my glasses when I hunt and shoot.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I'm left eye dominant and shoot right handed (right arm is stronger than left). This doesn't work for me. Have to close left eye. I've been doing this for so many years that I don't notice eye strain or peripheral vision loss.

·
Registered
305 Posts
DB it took me about 8 months of shooting to get comfortable with it. I still catch myself closing my left eye for a second to re assure myself my aiming eye is in the peep.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I'm left eye dominant and shoot right handed (right arm is stronger than left). This doesn't work for me. Have to close left eye. I've been doing this for so many years that I don't notice eye strain or peripheral vision loss.
I found this to be true also. I switched from a right to left handed bow and found out what i was missing out on for years. For me shooting with both open is the way to go.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
DB, if your eyes are closely matched in power, it would be very difficult to do. My Master eye(shooting eye) is more powerful than the other....just worked out that way :)
That might explain why I have such a hard time with this as well... I've tried a few times but never could get it to work

Growing up, I went to all of the 'youth day' and that sort of schtick at the various outdoors clubs and rod n reel clubs etc. They always had a marksmanship section, and it would always start with eye dominance so the instructors could figure out which side to have you shooting. I used to love to mess with those guys, because I understood eye dominance well and can switch eye focuses to make either eye dominant, pretty much at will. Either one works as well as the other.

·
Registered
640 Posts
advantage is wider field of vision and better depth perception.

i've always shot with both eyes open. same with rifle open sights and/or scope. never really had to think about it...

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
To me shooting both eyes open I am not worried as much where my pin is seems when I shoot one eye close I'm always fighting to keep my pin on target

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Per phial vision, i shoot one eye closed b/c Im back wards and well its a mess but it works for me haha wished could shoot both open have tried dosent work well with me so its close one and get er done, sometimes its a squint/closed.

·
Anti Fanboy
42,158 Posts
I just flat shoot better with both eyes open. But it did not come easy. It took me a few days to learn to shoot that way.

I dont always shoot with both eyes all the way open. It depends on the the light conditions at the time. If its bright out I sometimes squint my other eye some but never close it all the way.

Where it really pays off is in the woods esp under poor light conditions. Add a large peep to that and you would be amazed at how much better you can see in the woods.

I personally have been shooting a large 5/16" Meta Peep and combined with both eyes open its soooo much better.

Some 40 yard groups. You can still get great accuracy that way.

·
eyes and arrows
3,682 Posts
I feel I must shed some light on this subject.....no pun intended haha

1) everyone has a dominant eye. There are different degrees of this dominance, but everyone has one.
2) you can NOT switch dominance at will back and forth. You can train your brain to pay attention to each image separately but it takes a lot of time/training/injury/disease process or reduced vision to truly with dominance.
3) dominance has absolutely nothing to do with the power of your eyes as stated above. Your eye does not have power, your glasses do. In some cases dominance is established early in. Childhood bases on a large difference in prescriptions between eyes, but this is the exception to the rule.
4) while for many of us that are right handed the correct image of the pins are on the left, this may not be the case for a few people.
5) having both eyes open while shooting does NOT I REPEAT,DOES NOT INCREASE DEPTH PERCEPTION. First of all, after 6 meters we mostly use monocular cues for depth; and that is with both eyes fused or pointed directly at the target. When we look through a peep at full draw, even with both eyes open, we are not fused at the target. Our brain gets 2 images and, based on dominance, suppresses the other image. Thus for all visual purposes we are using one eye for depth perception and aiming at full draw, the other eye is just along for the ride. Besides why would you ever try to judge yardage at full draw through the peep sight????

Dominance is a frequently misunderstood concept. So there are many myths about why shooting with both eyes open is better.

Here is what shooting with both eyes open does do.
1) allows there to be less strain in your face at full draw thus a more relaxed shot. That said you strain your face more to squint one eye then you do to close it gently as different muscles are being used.
2) it allows for faster and more accurate target acquisition as you come to full draw.
3) allows more light into your field of view. This is mostly because your eye is open wider when both are open than it is when one is closed.
4) it looks cooler and is what everyone is supposed to do.

In all reality reasons one and two are the major bonuses to keeping both eyes open. You get a less strained and more relaxed picture and it is one less thing for have to consciously do at full draw. That said some simply cannon establish the ability to easily shoot with both eyes open. Likely due to cross dominance or very weak dominance.
if you learn to shoot with both eyes open it is allowing you to shoot more accurately. It is not that the mere opening of one eye is in some way inherently more accurate. In effect, I feel you can be every bit as accurate with one eye open as two with a little practice.

Long story short I do not feel it would ever be necessary to with hands based solely on dominance. If cross or weakly dominant than you can use a hat clip style blocker, a sight mounted blocker, an eye patch or even Scotch tape on the outer portion of your glasses to block an eye. If and only if you don't have the ability to see as clearly in one eye due to disease/injury/amblyopia etc you do not need to switch hands to be accurate.

Joe

PS. I cannot understand how the open can blame shooting with one eye closed on his missed shot. You pulled the trigger on dirt after the deer moved. The only way to see how that can happen is if you had- both eyes closed.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Joe. Thanks for the info. That is very educational. I just think if I had both eyes open I would have seen him move but he lives for another year and I'll get him this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 40 Posts