Archery Talk Forum banner

Advertised Xbow Speed vs Actual Hunting Set Up Speed?

1385 Views 6 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  Huntr2
I am guessing the actual "hunting set up" speed of any hunting xbow will be less than the brand advertised speed. I was looking at the Excalibur web site and checking the specs and performance figures on the Equinox recurve xbow and see it is listed as 225 lb pull, rated at 350 fps when using a 350 grain arrow and a special string of some kind.

Considering the game pursued (deer), desire for reduced noise, use of a good hunting arrow/ broadhead combination, etc., what would be an approximate total weight of a good deer hunting arrow/bolt for that xbow? With the addition of string silencers to help reduce the noise, what would be the actual speed one could expect from that set up?

Thanks, Dave
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
6,545 Posts
actually the 350 fps with a 350 gr arrow is a hunting set-up. is it loud i guess so to a deer. of course any deer but a deaf one can hear any CB arrow being shot. so its basically what you like personally. a good set-up is one that shoots accurately for you. i shoot both alum. & carbon arrows & all my hunting weight arrows start at 435 gr & heavier. its not about the noise for me as its about better harmonics on CB and the limbs. less shock & vibration.

· Incureable tinkerer
4,263 Posts
Best I could get with my Equinox and 405 grn arrows and Flemish string was 325. Lighter arrows are not only louder but put more stress on your bow's limbs. "Silencing" your bow with string or limb silences reduces arrow speed; and won''t make it anywhere near as quiet as a vertical bow.
My answer: shoot a reasonably fast arrow, but not so light so as to stress the bow. Keep shots to reasonable distances. Shoot at relaxed deer.

· Registered
3,102 Posts
Dave,
Most guys g0 420 or higher. Like both guys said, the heavier the arrow, the quieter and easier on your bow. You can get up to 500 with no trouble. NAP makes 170 grain Spitfires and Thunderheads. I used the Spitfire 170s on my elk 2 years ago and it worked great. Hit like a truck too!

Randy

· Banned
24,198 Posts
Randy and Cossack are spot on

I use hunting arrows between 400 and 500 grains, dependiing on the crossbow and what I want to achieve with certain crossbows. I see no need to go as light as 350 grains even on my GT Flex set on 125 lb draw weight. For me, speed is not the ultimate goal. Shootability, accuracy and minimization of crossbow maintenance is. :)

· Registered
328 Posts
i use a Barnett Predator. 450 grain bolts. 372 fps as of last weekend.

As of right now, i'm looking for some 600 grain bolts to calm my bow down just a little. I'd much rather be shooting around 340... less wear on my serving plus more K.E.

· Registered
574 Posts
weight

My Rev AVI is set up at about 335 FPS give or take with a 441 grain Carbon Express Maxima Hunter. Barnett acheives the advertised speed of 345 with a 423 to 425 grain bolt. I checked and the K/E is about the same with a better package for the Xbow. Footbalfan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.