Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently in a bowtech in a large corporation and have three coworkers that are interested in possibly opening our own pro shop. I would like some advice or tips on opening a pro shop. Here a few questions we would like answered if possible.
start up cost?
shop size?
possibly a range? Indoor or outdoor? Insurance for a range?
Distance for dealer protection from other dealers in close proximity?
number of lines to carry?
crossbow market as well?
Merchandise cost?
bow tuning costs?

Any and all information would be GREATLY appreciated

·
Registered
310 Posts
If you need answers to all of those questions and there are 4 of you, I would say its a bad idea. Shop Size will dictate startup costs, as will # of lines you carry. You must get in on crossbow market if its legal in your state, and if none of the 4 of you is to be the bow technition (which would be tuning costs) then, IMO squash it.

·
Registered
689 Posts
i opened my own shop recently,i already had a small shop from years of bow hunting.had all tools required etc.next was finding suppliers that have the products you want to sell,not that easy some have minimum orders of 15000 to 25000 some smaller companys will take smaller order sizes but at different rates and you have to fill out credit apps.my supplier came to check out the shop to see if i had the tools needed to sell there products before agreeing to supply me!then the big order you have to see what will sell ,you dont want 1000 dollar bows hanging on the wall not good!my first order was 15000 and i already had all tools!next was marketing!signs newspappers etc 3000,lucky i had been doing it for awhile my name was already out there.when you start out you will have back orders and thats always what someone wants they wont be happy waiting a mth for something by the time it comes they wont what it, then to the shelf it goes$$$.you meet alot of nice people along the way whitch makes it fun.#1 selling item yes the crossbow!i keep inventory of aprox 15000 to 20000.note you have to have alot of customers to make a living from this.good luck.

·
Registered
37,024 Posts
I feel with computers today its hard to get ahead with an archery shop. You can go on Ebay and get things at or just above what the shop has to pay for it. Unless of course you buy a ton of a certain item early and hope to sell them all. Also i feel if you love archery and working on your own bow and making your own arrows dont do it. It will end up being a job to you after awhile. Just my opinion though.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Advice from an old guy: Hord your cash in this economy. This is no time to give up a good job and try to make it in the archery business. Wait until after the 2012 election and see if things get better!

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
just like winnin the lottery.....you wont know how many friends you really do have until you do

·
Back Yard Champion
27,732 Posts
Open up a flower shop instead. Honest, starting up a shop is not easy by a long shot. If you have a bunch of money, invest in the stock market, it's less risky.

·
Registered
49,527 Posts
there is a magic button at the top of the page called search--------this subject comes up almost weekly, you will find days of reading on this subject and your questions. You will also find the resounding agreement not to do it. My advice NEVER turn a hobby into a business if you truely love your hobby--------because you will not have time to enjoy your own hobby.
A wise man once said if you want to earn a million dollars in an archery shop start with 2 million and quit when you reach a million.

·
Registered
55 Posts
there is a magic button at the top of the page called search--------this subject comes up almost weekly, you will find days of reading on this subject and your questions. You will also find the resounding agreement not to do it. My advice NEVER turn a hobby into a business if you truely love your hobby--------because you will not have time to enjoy your own hobby.
A wise man once said if you want to earn a million dollars in an archery shop start with 2 million and quit when you reach a million.
X2 what dale said.. tough business, especially with the internet and all the equip. you can find on line.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
all pro shops have a life span usually around 10 yrs, shorter if you only sell archery equipment and something has to pay the bills in the off season. You need a minimum of 500k just for merchandise to open. Everything is net 30 you get programs sometimes for net 90 either way you sit on a ton of money always. I think this is why most if not all fail. My advice is don't do it. It can be done but it requires a ton of capital.

·
Registered
761 Posts
i Help out at an archery shop on Sat and as you have read you need a custumer base, you need to advertise. use things like facebook and twitter (it is free)my guess is your friends are into the samethings as you and so are there friends and there friends. use your personal page to advertise for the shop page and then as things happen, up date it. you will hopefully have a costumer base before the shop even opens. (the guy that invented silly bands didn't have any money for advertising so he used facebook and twitter, now he is has millions)

once things start to happen for you i would invest in an indoor video range the up front cost is high but will pay for its self in the end EX we have a fall league that runs to hunting season 50 peaple signed up, have a winter league with 150 consistant shooter and a spring league with about 50 shooters it is 10 dollars per shoot per person.if you add all that up it is 25000 dollors a year in just peaple shooting the indoor video league(10 weeks long).

You should set up a few 3d shoots a year with your other shops to help get your name out there, if you have the property have it right at the shop, if not see about having it at a local rod and gun club.

It is not an easy thing to do but if everybody followed what some these guys said there would be no archery shops, if you think you have the capital and the time, try it. The shop i help out at is open 5-9 m-f and9-5 on sat. The insurance for the shop is through IBO. as far as pricing be competitive stop in at local shops visit them online, look for them on face book and twitter.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I would caution you on many fronts. First, no partners period. Hire who you need, but that's it. You can fire who does not work out. Second, write a solid business plan, and be sure you have a lot of staying power. Meaning, you have enough cash to last 3 years. Four, start small in your basement, garage, or some low rent place, and keep your costs down. After you write a business plan with someone like FinancialSync, Inc. you will have a better idea. An by the way, you will hardly ever get to go hunting.

·
Registered
13,750 Posts
partners,, bad idea to many chiefs, your not going to hardly get the doors of a small building open for less than 30,000,, if you dont have it in inventory most will order it from the net, if you screw up even 1 bow starting out, eveyone in the area will be told your an idiot and it will sound like you messed up several hundred, because the story gets repeated ,,,market area,, protected areas may already be in place and you wont be able to get what you want,, the income , contrary to what most blabber mouths think is actually very small, and it is very much a seasonal business some places with lots of competitive shooters will do better than areas with primarily hunters,, everyone will want a discount, i mean everyone who has ever known you,,, and many of them who dont know you, because they can by it from so and so for x dollars,,
dont forget rent or payments every month, internet access, electric, insurance, and phone and garbage collection,,, how far from home will you have to drive,, gas aint cheap either,, employees me payroll and unemployment taxes, which you get nothing for that,
i have only made it as far as i have because my daughter who helps me a lot doesnt get payed, my wife shows up after she gets off work most days and helps,, just before hunting season arrives you will not have any time to go check or work on your own stufff,, and the hours will be from can to cant every day if your small,, i put in a lot of 12-14 hour days...
you need a large customer base also,, immediate area within 50 miles needs to be over 75,000, because in reality the number of bowhunters is tiny..
i got lucky, my business was given to me, but even at that my very cheap rent is still 7500 a year, i had to cut the regular phone and go wireless with my computer m phone and credit card machine,, that went from 235 a month to about 75.... of course now i have issues with weather sometimes and lots of local cell phone use messes up my wireless internet and drags it down..
is it fun,, yep for me it is, i had outside income for the last 5 years so making rent even in slow months was easy,, but i recently retired and now hav to make income on the shop, and i am building a new place with 25 yard range indoors and 100 yards outdoors,, i have added some fishing stuff and may add firearms , of course it wont be easy becasue i dont have the side money any more, and i will not borrow if avoidable at all to increase anything, because borrowing means more outflow, and they dont care about the seasons.... it doesnt really make enough money to support a family, everything im doing right now is being payed in cash and i will be totally broke by the end of the week, and i know it could still go under, in which case i will have a honking big garage at 120 feet long,,, but i am retired, and the 8 acres i just bought will keep me busy until i die or Jesus comes... i am being realistic i hope to keep busy and maybe pad my retirement income some

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
I just opened my own small shop and I can tell you from experience that it is a struggle getting a new shop off the ground. New shops have to pay almost everything up front, you don't get terms from most suppliers until after you have been with them for a while. Borrowing money for start-up expenses in this economy is extremely tough. Too many chiefs and not enough indians is gonna make it even more difficult for you guys. On the flip-side, I have no rent as I owned the commercial building and it's only about 200yds from my house. My overhead is low and that helps alot but it's hard to keep coming up with a couple of thousand here, couple thousand there when shipments come in every week or more than once a week. It ain't easy but it beats what I was doing.

·
www.archery-zone.com
1,200 Posts
You might consider opening part time with 4 of you I would think you could keep you full time job and own a small shop on the side. I have a full time job 50 + hr. and I run a small shop of an evening I’m just open a few hr. a night but with four of you I would think you could alternate your times. Just a thought, then after you get well established you could do it full time, or at least that’s my goal.

·
Registered
49,527 Posts
i Help out at an archery shop on Sat and as you have read you need a custumer base, you need to advertise. use things like facebook and twitter (it is free)my guess is your friends are into the samethings as you and so are there friends and there friends. use your personal page to advertise for the shop page and then as things happen, up date it. you will hopefully have a costumer base before the shop even opens. (the guy that invented silly bands didn't have any money for advertising so he used facebook and twitter, now he is has millions)

once things start to happen for you i would invest in an indoor video range the up front cost is high but will pay for its self in the end EX we have a fall league that runs to hunting season 50 peaple signed up, have a winter league with 150 consistant shooter and a spring league with about 50 shooters it is 10 dollars per shoot per person.if you add all that up it is 25000 dollors a year in just peaple shooting the indoor video league(10 weeks long).

You should set up a few 3d shoots a year with your other shops to help get your name out there, if you have the property have it right at the shop, if not see about having it at a local rod and gun club.

It is not an easy thing to do but if everybody followed what some these guys said there would be no archery shops, if you think you have the capital and the time, try it. The shop i help out at is open 5-9 m-f and9-5 on sat. The insurance for the shop is through IBO. as far as pricing be competitive stop in at local shops visit them online, look for them on face book and twitter.
With those hours it's a hobby more than a business-----I will bet he has a full time job that pays the bills at home.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts